Evinrude 6hp gear shifter out of alignment

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys so I just got done doing a water pump in my evinrude 6hp fisherman. For some reason I can’t get the shift handle lined up like normal got any ideas of what I’m doing wrong. It still goes into foward and reverse as well as neutral, but neutral is in the foward position and reverse is in the neutral position.

tphoyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Are you sure the connector is lined up properly? The bolt should be in the detent on the shaft.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
any channce this part ended up loose allowing the shifter to get out of alignment

Attachments

• 6hp shifter.JPG
    6hp shifter.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1671.JPG
    IMG_1671.JPG
    958.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One bolt should have been taken out to remove lower unit.----Then on assembly you line up the notch on shift rod before putting that bolt in.----If that does not correct it maybe Item 24 is cracked / broken.

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
if so the next step is to pull the power head like done for an impeller job on a 5.5.hp ....not a big job anyway.
see around time mark at 00. 40 sec.

take care not to damage the base gasket. if you do.... order the correct one because base gasket patterns differ.

you could always cut one up yourself if need be.

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well see I don’t believe the power head needs to be removed for this one’s because before I remove the lower unit for the new impeller the shift lever lined up perfectly with the neutral position as well as foward and reverse. I’m just wondering when I put the lower unit back on do I need to have the shift lever in reverse then connect the shift linkage or does that not matter. Some other suggestions I’d got was after connecting the shift rod use the gear lever to pull the lower unit up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Gear position does NOT matter.----You just need room to work .----Line up the notch before you put the bolt in.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Well see I don’t believe the power head needs to be removed for this one’s because before I remove the lower unit for the new impeller the shift lever lined up perfectly with the neutral position as well as foward and reverse. I’m just wondering when I put the lower unit back on do I need to have the shift lever in reverse then connect the shift linkage or does that not matter. Some other suggestions I’d got was after connecting the shift rod use the gear lever to pull the lower unit up.
You have not fitted the ends of the shift rods into the clamp properly.
They must go in so that the bolts are in the "notches" in the rod ends

when correctly fitted the rod ends will almost be touching each other inside the clamp.
Provided the rods are fitted correctly into the clamp it will all be Ok without further ado.

not particularly good picture:

shift rod connector.JPG

Last edited:

Evinrudej

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You have not fitted the ends of the shift rods into the clamp properly.
They must go in so that the bolts are in the "notches" in the rod ends

when correctly fitted the rod ends will almost be touching each other inside the clamp.
Provided the rods are fitted correctly into the clamp it will all be Ok without further ado.

not particularly good picture:

View attachment 359484
Thank you for the information I did realize the shift rod was not properly sling bed far up enough and after re adjusting it lines up perfectly thanks everyone