Wonder if I should go IO again or go OB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hostage

Lieutenant
I have owned my 2000 Maxum 1900SC Cuddy w/ a 4.3L Mercrusier for about a decade now. It was a great boat, though has gotten a lot smaller as we have a kid as well as many friends we used to take out. So we are looking at going with a Deck or Bow Rider. While looking, I noticed there are a lot more options for Outboards, compared to a decade ago. For the powering the boat I am looking at a couple options:

VolvoPenta 280 Dual Prop
Mercrusier 250 Dual Prop (Bravo III)
Mecury/Yamaha 200HP

My current boat has an Alpha and I have driven my old mans Volvo Penta w/ a Dual Prop and I was impressed how much nicer his dual prop moves at slower speeds. I am looking at the VolvoPenta 280 as it has 30 more HP over the Mecrusier as well as apparently all VolvoPentas come with a closed loop cooling. The other advantage I do like with an IO is the massive swim platforms and extended platforms you get with the boat.

On the other hand are the OBs, it seems like the popularity has really grown for freshwater bow riders. While I don't see an option for dual prop OB on the boats I am looking at and the swim platform isn't as exciting, they seem to have a lot of pros. The maintenance is a lot less, no complex winterization, no bellows or holes in the transom. Tilt completely out of the water, when in a slip. Though the biggest advantage seems like you get the cockpit of a size or two bigger boat at the loss of a sunpad. The Sunpad has always seemed like a waste of space as I only have one wife and she prefers a spot under the bimini. Another big plus is the huge weight savings and extra payload. I am guessing they have more flotation foam in the boat were the IO would go and as the power plant weights less, giving you ~800lbs more payload than the IO version that I am looking at.

I am looking for a boat to take the family and friends out. I like to do some water sports as well.

What are your guys thoughts? Have any gone back and forth before?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If the boat you're looking at has cat converter exhaust I wouldn't even consider it. That and horrible or impossible engine access are deal breakers for me with I/Os. Keep in mind boats with cat converter exhaust are prone to the same pain in the rear check engine lights for O2 sensor codes as modern cars can be, but its worse because of wet exhaust. That, is the fault of EPA over-reach, but the bad or impossible access I blame the boat manufacturers 100% for. A relative has a 2020 Chapparl with a Merc 4.5 V6. Runs great, but anything other than a minor tune up or oil change is very difficult. I don't think you could change the starter on this thing with the engine in the boat. Same with the steering actuator. Just totally unacceptable.
For me only outboards in the future.
safer
much easier winterizing, longer season use
better performance

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am guessing they have more flotation foam in the boat were the IO would go and as the power plant weights less, giving you ~800lbs more payload than the IO version that I am looking at.
Foam has no bearing on weight capacity.

The increased capacity is the direct result of reduced weight of the outboard power and the reduced size of the “massive and extended” swim platforms.

The first boat back in 1994 was an I/O. Sold it in 1997 and bought an outboard..never looked back

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
between a Merc 250 hp 4.5 liter and a VP 280 hp 4.3, I would do the VP as its a GM dervived motor with HX cooling. Also, not all the VP's get cat exhaust

Between I/O and OB, that is a personal choice

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have owned my 2000 Maxum 1900SC Cuddy w/ a 4.3L Mercrusier for about a decade now. It was a great boat, though has gotten a lot smaller as we have a kid as well as many friends we used to take out. So we are looking at going with a Deck or Bow Rider. While looking, I noticed there are a lot more options for Outboards, compared to a decade ago. For the powering the boat I am looking at a couple options:

VolvoPenta 280 Dual Prop
Mercrusier 250 Dual Prop (Bravo III)
Mecury/Yamaha 200HP

My current boat has an Alpha and I have driven my old mans Volvo Penta w/ a Dual Prop and I was impressed how much nicer his dual prop moves at slower speeds. I am looking at the VolvoPenta 280 as it has 30 more HP over the Mecrusier as well as apparently all VolvoPentas come with a closed loop cooling. The other advantage I do like with an IO is the massive swim platforms and extended platforms you get with the boat.

On the other hand are the OBs, it seems like the popularity has really grown for freshwater bow riders. While I don't see an option for dual prop OB on the boats I am looking at and the swim platform isn't as exciting, they seem to have a lot of pros. The maintenance is a lot less, no complex winterization, no bellows or holes in the transom. Tilt completely out of the water, when in a slip. Though the biggest advantage seems like you get the cockpit of a size or two bigger boat at the loss of a sunpad. The Sunpad has always seemed like a waste of space as I only have one wife and she prefers a spot under the bimini. Another big plus is the huge weight savings and extra payload. I am guessing they have more flotation foam in the boat were the IO would go and as the power plant weights less, giving you ~800lbs more payload than the IO version that I am looking at.

I am looking for a boat to take the family and friends out. I like to do some water sports as well.

What are your guys thoughts? Have any gone back and forth before?
You mentioned kids, for me it personally comes down to how much you like the swim platform and sun pad. For me and how we use our bowrider those are key and I wouldn't want an OB on the back.

For my brothers fishing boat having and empty floor a yamaha 4 stroke works great. The maintenance is a twice a year thing for me personally doesn't overcome the utility of how we use our boat . The fact that I have to reach for 5 drain plugs to winterize gives me more time to drink beer ...

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For anyone thinking about a modern boat with the I/O especially if you are in a salt water region check the price of replacing the cat exhaust if it has that, you'll see it's between 5000-6000 per engine. Fresh water you probably will never have to worry about it
Beyond that, take a good look at accessiblity, do you really want to pay a mechanic (if you're not like some of us) to pull the engine to replace a starter or steering actuator? Also it depends on how long you'll own it. If short term these issues may not be a big deal, but if long term sooner or later they have to be done. I've done the starter 3x and the steering actuator 1x, and the exhaust 3x.
The only way I'd have an I/O again is if it has a wide open engine compartment, not that stupid molded in fiberglass for the fancy seats and walk through sun pads etc that are the mechanic's anathema. That, and no cat converter exhaust, preferably a carbed engine as well, or I'd just convert it when (not if) the EFI parts become NLA. Carb parts even for Quadrajets not made for 30 years are easy to find.
I reconfigured the rear of mine to make it easy, the seats lift out and the rear wood bulkhead opens like a door on take apart hinges.
Excuse the dirty mess lol. Can take out both sides easily or one at a time as needed.
engine access panel on hinges.JPG

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Ayuh,...... I/O all the way baby,........

Something 'bout the rumble of a V-8 Chevy,........ ;)
If I wanted to listen the the rumble of engines I would have bought a house next to the freeway.

I much prefer the sound of the wind whistling though the the hardtop structure...lol

Reactions: KJM

tpenfield

Staff member
Lakes . . . and I/O would be fine . Ocean . . . preference would be an OB.

I have now my 3rd I/O in the ocean. Key factors are most of the OB boats in my budget were older fishing style boats . . . not Admiral approved. We use the stern access a lot, so I/O's win the day in that regard.

The newer day boats with I/O's are still sorting out stern access . . . some are better than others, but many/most are beyond what my week allowance allows $$$$$$$.

So I think the way you use your boat(s), the waters you boat in, and your budget will determine if you should have an I/O or an OB. Since everyone is going to OB's I/O's can be had for a decent price in some cases.

You decide.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
We have 3 kids. We go boating with other families with kids. We practically live on the swim platform and sun pad. The kids are always jumping in the water, getting on and off water toys, etc. The OB would be totally in the way and block the view. I do most of my own maintenance and I don't mind working on a Chevy V8. I wouldn't know much about an OB so I'd probably have to hire that out.
We only boat in freshwater lakes. If I was in the salt I'm sure I'd feel differently.
My B3 is nicer than my former Alpha. It tracks straighter bites better in turns, and is more efficient. I really like having the double props.

tpenfield

Staff member
The newer day boats with I/O's are still sorting out stern access . . . some are better than others, but many/most are beyond what my week allowance allows $$$$$$$.
Ooopps . . . Meant to say . . .

The newer day boats formerly with I/O's but now offered in OB's are still sorting out stern access . . . some are better than others, but many/most are beyond what my weekly allowance supports $$$$$$$. :ROFLMAO:

tpenfield

Staff member
For anyone thinking about a modern boat with the I/O especially if you are in a salt water region check the price of replacing the cat exhaust if it has that, you'll see it's between 5000-6000 per engine. Fresh water you probably will never have to worry about it.

to @Lou C 's point . . . The newer boats/engines have CATS (and I never knew that cats like being on boats :ROFLMAO: )

So, if you are running in the ocean WITHOUT a full closed cooling system with these new engines, you'll be replacing your exhaust about every 5 years. The Mercuiser 8.2 engines do not have a full closed cooling option (only half system), whereas the 6.2 and 4.5 SeaCore engines do.

I'm not sure about the V-P engines, I've seen some with only half systems, just can't remember which.

The difference now vs. before is the exhaust components on the old school engines were not terribly expensive . . . but the exhaust components now (with CATS) cost more than a long block.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
As I’ve often said, I/Os made sense when the engines were simple carbed GM marine engines and boat design allowed reasonable access to the engine, exhaust etc. At the same time back then carbed 2 stroke outboards were loud and smokey.
Now, 4 stroke outboards are powerful, light and low maintenance and I/Os have become very complex, expensive and difficult to service. Just take a look at a Merc I/O cooling system, how many hoses and plastic fittings there are is mind boggling. I think my old OMC has like 6 hoses in total. Even Mercs raw water cooled system with the easy drain is very complex. And we all know what can happen if that easy drain system gets clogged by rust.
Yes outboard parts are expensive but now so are I/O parts; take a look at a Merc or Volvo parts catalog.
The other advantages of increased safety easier winterizing and longer seasonal use are very significant. But if you have small children I get the usefulness of the full swim platform and Sun pad. Just realize what you’re getting into with repair and maintenance costs down the road….

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
If it were up to me....no question, I would not go I/O the next time.
Too much maintenance, winterizing, things that need fixing due to wear, such as bellows, gimbal bearings, u-joints and other driveline components.
If your u-joint or shifter bellows leak, your boat can sink.
With an O/B, you don't have that big keyhole in your transom.

Reactions: KJM

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Lou C's post above summed it up perfectly! I've owned both, current boat is a Hurricane deckboat with a 4.3l I/O. It does not have a sun pad, it has a doghouse that folds forwards and gives extremely good access to the engine. I've swapped the starter in 15 minutes, try doing that on a modern outboard! And a 4.3l GM is going to last pretty much forever, but if I ever have to repower, it is a day of work and $3000 or so.

But... That is a 20 year old boat. I would be hard pressed to buy an I/O with a cat on it. 4 stroke outboards are way more prevalent than I/O's in recent years, so I'd look that direction instead.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That big hole in the transom with just some rubber bellows keeping out the water was one of the big reasons I switched to OB.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
OBs have several safety advantages over I/Os that is just one….here’s others:
No risk of fuel vapors in the bilge
A cooling system hose failure won’t flood the bilge with seawater AND overheat the engine (this happened to me back in 2013).
The issue of the bellows letting in water is actually misunderstood…Merc, Volvo (SX) and OMC (Cobra) have the gimble bearing and the seal behind it that keeps water from flooding in if the D/S bellows fails. It is the shift cable bellows on Mercs that can let in lots of water. The one used on OMC & Volvo is different & rarely if ever leaks

alldodge

Staff member
Seal behind gimbal bearing is not to keep water from coming in, it's there to keep grease and dirt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.