Inboard replacing

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
If i recall he has a 5.0 mpi, 5.0 block i dont think can get bored out to 5.7 bore. NOt sure if heads are same as 5.7 suspect smaller 5.0 bore takes different valves but could be wrong …
I’d say you’re right Scott.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If i recall he has a 5.0 mpi, 5.0 block i dont think can get bored out to 5.7 bore. NOt sure if heads are same as 5.7 suspect smaller 5.0 bore takes different valves but could be wrong …
correct, a 5.0 has too small of bores to make anything but a long stroke 5.3 liter and the head has too small of valves to breath enough for practicality

However if @QBhoy has a 5.7, just a bit more stroke and different rocker arm ratio and you match the stock 6.2. swap cam and springs, adress the valve studs to allow more than .420 lift cam and you can easily hit 375hp or more at the crank.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I spent some time working near Cairnryan.. Truly beautiful. It was summer, and a bit cold for me, but a really nice area of the world.

Chris.....
Lovely. Gets lovelier further up on the west coast again.
correct, a 5.0 has too small of bores to make anything but a long stroke 5.3 liter and the head has too small of valves to breath enough for practicality

However if @QBhoy has a 5.7, just a bit more stroke and different rocker arm ratio and you match the stock 6.2. swap cam and springs, adress the valve studs to allow more than .420 lift cam and you can easily hit 375hp or more at the crank.
it’s a 5.0 mpi I have Scott. 260 hp standard. With my cam and exhaust system…I’m assuming it’s nearly or around 300hp. But annoyingly…unless it’s anything over 4000 rpm or more…it’s just not a good set up all round having that cam. Wasn’t much thought went into it I’d think. Was only about 15 of them made with this performance package. Nice to have…but reality is that it would likely be more useable with a 350 mpi. Funnily enough, the non performance package could be optioned with a 350 mpi or a VP 5.7 gxi. The specs claim the performance edition was slightly quicker top end though. So assume she’s at least 300 hp perhaps. Not sure. She’s still limited to 5150 rpm. Which she will easily hit with any prop that’s useable. Would take a 23” or more to keep her off the limiter with the 1.47 ratio. But that means it’s just terrible anywhere less than flat out. She’s a quick wee thing though. Considering her fairly heavy bulk. 1400 kgs dry. Still manages the below gps if I can be bothered to suffer the other effects down low. Most often I can’t though and run a 21” or even a 20”

Attachments

• 0EB46BAF-CF95-4296-AE08-68781DFA2021.png
    0EB46BAF-CF95-4296-AE08-68781DFA2021.png
    333.8 KB · Views: 6

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Lovely. Gets lovelier further up on the west coast again.

it’s a 5.0 mpi I have Scott. 260 hp standard. With my cam and exhaust system…I’m assuming it’s nearly or around 300hp. But annoyingly…unless it’s anything over 4000 rpm or more…it’s just not a good set up all round having that cam. Wasn’t much thought went into it I’d think. Was only about 15 of them made with this performance package. Nice to have…but reality is that it would likely be more useable with a 350 mpi. Funnily enough, the non performance package could be optioned with a 350 mpi or a VP 5.7 gxi. The specs claim the performance edition was slightly quicker top end though. So assume she’s at least 300 hp perhaps. Not sure. She’s still limited to 5150 rpm. Which she will easily hit with any prop that’s useable. Would take a 23” or more to keep her off the limiter with the 1.47 ratio. But that means it’s just terrible anywhere less than flat out. She’s a quick wee thing though. Considering her fairly heavy bulk. 1400 kgs dry. Still manages the below gps if I can be bothered to suffer the other effects down low. Most often I can’t though and run a 21” or even a 20”
Yeah seems you would be better off with a 5.7

my boat is a 2004 sea ray 200 sport. had 4 engine options from a 4.3/190 hp carb up to a 5.0 mpi (interestingly with a 1.62 drive ratio). i bought it with a known cracked 4.3 carbed engine, i swapped in a 5.0 thinking a 5.7 would be too much otherwise it would have been offered…

Boat works great but in retrospect i should have just dropped in a 5.7 …it would have cost the same money…

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yeah seems you would be better off with a 5.7

my boat is a 2004 sea ray 200 sport. had 4 engine options from a 4.3/190 hp carb up to a 5.0 mpi (interestingly with a 1.62 drive ratio). i bought it with a known cracked 4.3 carbed engine, i swapped in a 5.0 thinking a 5.7 would be too much otherwise it would have been offered…

Boat works great but in retrospect i should have just dropped in a 5.7 …it would have cost the same money…
I’d thought about that Scott. But figured it wouldn’t be worth it. They’d be about the same power I’d think. Not sure. Figured the 6.2 would be a sure bet for getting the low down grunt I need, so I’m able to run a prop that can not only take advantage of the top end the boat clearly has, but down low too. The issue I have now is all the power is up the top. If I run a pitch that will see it off the limiter and at its quickest now…it means it’s gutless down low and just not useable if I have people onboard or just for 99% of the time general use. That’s why I now just run a compromise prop that will see early to mid 60’s easy enough (but easily hit the limiter) and still have life enough to accelerate or cruise well. Just wish I had a little more grunt down low. It’s all nothing nothing nothing…then everything once it gets up the rpms.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
@QBhoy maybe try a vented prop.
Scott. Funny you should say that. I did try it once on the old faithful laser 2. Just thought it was a horrible thing. It did allow the boat to plane quicker…but was always venting or on the verge of it right around the low 20’s speed I like to sit at. The most efficient speed for this boat to cruise at is a fairly quick (for my liking) 27 mph or so. But I think it most comfortable at around early 20’s. This is where the prop gave a slipping clutch like feel with it venting. That was with medium sized hole in the pvs. Didn’t mess any more with it after that to be fair. Always just ran full plugs on any prop I’ve had for it really. I found the same effect on the outboard cuddy boat too. When I ran a tempest 21” with half vents. Just a horrible feeling I thought. Certainly didn’t like it on the cuddy…just with the idea that it was very inefficient for displacement speeds. When it spends half its time. Maybe I’ll give them another go. Thanks for that.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
need to tune the vent sizes, try smaller and open up as needed.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
That was with medium sized hole in the pvs.
How big is the medium hole?

If your breaking loose the hole is too big

When I played with vents a few years back I ended up going up a pitch size and was working with a single 1/4" or 5/16" (6 mm or 8 mm) vent.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Scott. Funny you should say that. I did try it once on the old faithful laser 2. Just thought it was a horrible thing. It did allow the boat to plane quicker…but was always venting or on the verge of it right around the low 20’s speed I like to sit at. The most efficient speed for this boat to cruise at is a fairly quick (for my liking) 27 mph or so. But I think it most comfortable at around early 20’s. This is where the prop gave a slipping clutch like feel with it venting. That was with medium sized hole in the pvs. Didn’t mess any more with it after that to be fair. Always just ran full plugs on any prop I’ve had for it really. I found the same effect on the outboard cuddy boat too. When I ran a tempest 21” with half vents. Just a horrible feeling I thought. Certainly didn’t like it on the cuddy…just with the idea that it was very inefficient for displacement speeds. When it spends half its time. Maybe I’ll give them another go. Thanks for that.
When I had my boat shop I played around with vented props, and had the same affect as you, lots of slip in the range for cruising, but once they gripped they went well. Given that venting a prop is usually done for ski boats, that's not surprising. A ski boat usually takes off fairly hard as skiers prefer to be 'popped up' as opposed to being dragged along while the boat accelerates. Venting the prop allows the engine to 'spin up' before the prop bites, and give rapid hole-shot, and then a good hold at speeds above about 25 knots. But yes, in the 15-23knot range, lots of revs, not much go.

I didn't realise you (@QBhoy ) had a 5 litre engine, always thought 5.7.... And that very much backs up what I wrote a few months ago. The 'trade' for power at the top end is lack of it in the low/mid-range.... You are probably the victim of flawed thinking on the part of the PO or dealer selling the engine in the first place. Smaller engine, less fuel use (incorrect BTW) and to make up for the smaller cubes, make more power (not thinking about the trade-off that results in lack of it in the low/mid-range).... See that A LOT!

One option you may not have considered is to get a 6.2 short motor (Just block and rotating group) and put your cam, heads and ancillaries on it...

Something like this... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-sp15/make/chevrolet

Chris.........

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
When I had my boat shop I played around with vented props, and had the same affect as you, lots of slip in the range for cruising, but once they gripped they went well. Given that venting a prop is usually done for ski boats, that's not surprising. A ski boat usually takes off fairly hard as skiers prefer to be 'popped up' as opposed to being dragged along while the boat accelerates. Venting the prop allows the engine to 'spin up' before the prop bites, and give rapid hole-shot, and then a good hold at speeds above about 25 knots. But yes, in the 15-23knot range, lots of revs, not much go.

I didn't realise you (@QBhoy ) had a 5 litre engine, always thought 5.7.... And that very much backs up what I wrote a few months ago. The 'trade' for power at the top end is lack of it in the low/mid-range.... You are probably the victim of flawed thinking on the part of the PO or dealer selling the engine in the first place. Smaller engine, less fuel use (incorrect BTW) and to make up for the smaller cubes, make more power (not thinking about the trade-off that results in lack of it in the low/mid-range).... See that A LOT!

One option you may not have considered is to get a 6.2 short motor (Just block and rotating group) and put your cam, heads and ancillaries on it...

Something like this... https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-sp15/make/chevrolet

Chris.........
Cheers chris. Yeah. It’s a 5.0 mpi with exhausts and a cam from new. Strange one all together. They made a non performance spec version with a 350 mpi and a 5.7 gxi in it. Think I’d rather have one of those in it. Probably about the same power top of the rpms…but they would defo be better low down I’d think.Although I think there were 15 of these made…I’m aware of and spoken to 2 other owners of one like mine. One in Canada and one in Norway. They both have gxi 5.7s with a cam apparently. One of those guys think they know another in Germany that has the 350 mpi with a cam. Think I got the bad deal…or I have a 5.0 air cleaner cover in place of a lost 350 one…haha.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral

Chris.........
Hard to explain without hearing it in person…but it sounds unlike any other SB I know of. Can sort of hear what I mean here. Very deep cough or occasional spit to it at low rpm. Can actually feel it in your chest when standing next to it. Very unique sounding wee thing.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Cheers chris. Yeah. It’s a 5.0 mpi with exhausts and a cam from new. Strange one all together. They made a non performance spec version with a 350 mpi and a 5.7 gxi in it. Think I’d rather have one of those in it. Probably about the same power top of the rpms…but they would defo be better low down I’d think.Although I think there were 15 of these made…I’m aware of and spoken to 2 other owners of one like mine. One in Canada and one in Norway. They both have gxi 5.7s with a cam apparently. One of those guys think they know another in Germany that has the 350 mpi with a cam. Think I got the bad deal…or I have a 5.0 air cleaner cover in place of a lost 350 one…haha.
Yes but you get some really good top speed out of it. Conversely I have a 5.0 stock except for intake and Edelbrock 1409. Boat was originally a 4.3/2 blbl/190 hp, that PO cracked. I put the engine in kept the 1.81 ratio drive. Best speed with 22” enertia was 47, 21” rev 4 is 48. I run two large plugs and two medium on the Rev 4. With 5-6 people in boat it pulls me up on skiis or wakeboard very nicely (285 lbs…) . Bottom line its compromises, im very happy with loaded watersports performance which is most of my use, wont ever sniff 60 mph though.
and yes sounds really good

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yes but you get some really good top speed out of it. Conversely I have a 5.0 stock except for intake and Edelbrock 1409. Boat was originally a 4.3/2 blbl/190 hp, that PO cracked. I put the engine in kept the 1.81 ratio drive. Best speed with 22” enertia was 47, 21” rev 4 is 48. I run two large plugs and two medium on the Rev 4. With 5-6 people in boat it pulls me up on skiis or wakeboard very nicely (285 lbs…) . Bottom line its compromises, im very happy with loaded watersports performance which is most of my use, wont ever sniff 60 mph though.
and yes sounds really good
Interesting to read that Scott. Always wondered about the Rev 4 too.
It’s a hit or a miss this boat of mine mostly. Does so well to do what it does to be fair on it. Will see over 60 most times you want it too. But tiny things make the difference to it seeing mid 60’s and anything over is hugely dependent on the right prop and the smallest of extra weight or even the canopy being up or down. Generally with a good all rounder prop around 20-21” it’s most useable day to day. 63/64 would be normal on a good day and getting her aired out. She has seen about 66. Something with a 21”…but that would be a rarity and perfect conditions. Needs more to see over 65 most times…but then I’m into it being a dog everywhere else but top end. Can’t tell you how much it depends on lift and air under it for it all to come together. As you can imagine. Most times it’s just propped for cruising. Very efficient thing cruising. Will run around 24-27 mph at around 2200-2400 from memory most times.
My ratio is a 1.47 alpha. Sometimes wonder if a lower ratio might just suit it better.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

Chris.........
Chris, you cant use the 5.0 heads on a 5.7 or 6.2 as the valves and combustion chambers are too small. You also cant put the heads from a 5.7 onto a 5.0 as the valves get shrouded by the cylinder walls and breathing suffers

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Chris, you cant use the 5.0 heads on a 5.7 or 6.2 as the valves and combustion chambers are too small. You also cant put the heads from a 5.7 onto a 5.0 as the valves get shrouded by the cylinder walls and breathing suffers
Thanks Scott. Probably bored you all with this too many times over the year perhaps. I’m at a fortunate stage currently these days, where I don’t use this boat the way I once did..as an every weekend in summer boat. It’s now kept in storage and only comes out rarely…being fortunate enough to have a better suited all round boat for general use. Also have the wee cvx16 if need be for going quick. So at a real junction here wether to mess with what I have (but I feel it may be in vain) with something along the lines of cleaning up the heads for flow, valves and ecu tinkering (the latter of which will mean sending ecu off and expensive)…or just continue the so far fruitless search for a clean 6.2 mpi. Just so rare over here.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks Scott. Probably bored you all with this too many times over the year perhaps. I’m at a fortunate stage currently these days, where I don’t use this boat the way I once did..as an every weekend in summer boat. It’s now kept in storage and only comes out rarely…being fortunate enough to have a better suited all round boat for general use. Also have the wee cvx16 if need be for going quick. So at a real junction here wether to mess with what I have (but I feel it may be in vain) with something along the lines of cleaning up the heads for flow, valves and ecu tinkering (the latter of which will mean sending ecu off and expensive)…or just continue the so far fruitless search for a clean 6.2 mpi. Just so rare over here.
or just order the parts, build the motor in the garage or living room (depending on marital status) and when complete, swap motors