Mercathode transom mount 42600A18 on twin I/O systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I'm stumped here. I have some issues with corrosion on one of my drives and believe it's because someone installed the transom mercathode incorrectly.

Does anyone have installation instructions for P/N 42600A18

I believe this part number is for twin i/o setups but I'm unsure because I just cannot find any information on it.

Anyone have a clue?

alldodge

Staff member
I installed one of them on my single engine cruiser years ago for the same problem. Its also one of the things that caused my transom to have an issue because I didn't seal the pucks the right way

What you need is a digital voltmeter and a special probe 8M0135998. The probe has a wire which is coated with silver. Need voltages listed and not above the listed amount. Being higher will cause more corrosion

Fresh Water Areas -
620 - 1180 Millivolts with Digital Meter
Salt, Polluted or Mineral Laden Water Areas:
750 - 1180 Millivolts with Digital Meter

Check that all the bonding wires are connected inside to tiller arm and transom assembly plate to ground. Also outside the transom assembly to rams, bell housing and drive.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I installed one of them on my single engine cruiser years ago for the same problem. Its also one of the things that caused my transom to have an issue because I didn't seal the pucks the right way

What you need is a digital voltmeter and a special probe 8M0135998. The probe has a wire which is coated with silver. Need voltages listed and not above the listed amount. Being higher will cause more corrosion

Fresh Water Areas -
620 - 1180 Millivolts with Digital Meter
Salt, Polluted or Mineral Laden Water Areas:
750 - 1180 Millivolts with Digital Meter

Check that all the bonding wires are connected inside to tiller arm and transom assembly plate to ground. Also outside the transom assembly to rams, bell housing and drive.
I'm not looking to troubleshoot the system. My question is if anyone has the instructions for the part number I posted.

Actually, I should have been clearer in my message. I need the mercathode protection for BOTH of my I/O drives. It appears to me that the original transom mount mercathode is only protecting one drive. I want to install a transom system that protects both drives and wanted to see if the part number I posted is in fact the one for twin I\O drives

alldodge

Staff member
Merc makes only one add-on cathode that I'm aware of and its the one you found. So far as if it will protect both determine IF the voltage output at each drive equals the range listed above. Merc makes 2 Mercathode models, Blue and Black. Blue is standard and Black produces more voltage.

Expand on my previous post
Does the drive having the trouble have a Mercathode installed on it?
If not - Check to see if the transom assembly has the anode installed.
It if does - Check voltage output and if anode wire on the drive is broken

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
I should explain that I'm an EE. I understand how to troubleshoot circuits. I'm not looking for advice on troubleshooting. I'm looking for the instructions for the 42600A18 MERCATHODE KIT

The drive with corrosion issues is unprotected. The drive that has the cathode/anode crossing over it is fine. The circuit is functioning correctly. The issue is that I'm trying to see what the part number I posted has as far as instructions.

I'm assuming for twin I/O drives I need either two separate mercathode circuits OR the part number I posted will provide the parts required for me to install one system that covers both drives.

if I google the part number it shows 3 hockey pucks(anodes and cathodes) the control box and the necessary hardware ect to do the job.

Anyone have the instructions ?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
These are what came with my kit. Do you have the transom pucks or the annode under the Gimbal housing. If you have it only under one gimbal housing i would suggest installing it on the other gimbal as well.
my friend with a bravo three has two units one on gimbal and one with the transom pucks.

note these instructions include measureing with refernce electrode, seems part of a proper installation to veryify it is adequately protecting your set up .

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Before blaming the installation, did you at least check continuity between the zinc anodes on the drives and the drives? If there's no continuity to the anodes, then it doesn't matter how good the installation is, it ain't gunna help....

When a Mercathode system isn't working, that's the #1 reason... (either that or the anodes are so deleted that they are useless)...

Chris........

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
Before blaming the installation, did you at least check continuity between the zinc anodes on the drives and the drives? If there's no continuity to the anodes, then it doesn't matter how good the installation is, it ain't gunna help....

When a Mercathode system isn't working, that's the #1 reason... (either that or the anodes are so deleted that they are useless)...

Chris........
Right now on my boat Theres 2 pucks, one in the center of the transom and one starboard. The field crosses between the two. It. There's no way it can cross the port drive because therse no puck on the port side.
The part number posted comes with 3 pucks. I believe one is installed on the center of the drive and the other two are port and starboard respectively .

I'm try to confirm what this kit does.

achris

Right now on my boat Theres 2 pucks, one in the center of the transom and one starboard. The field crosses between the two. It. There's no way it can cross the port drive because therse no puck on the port side.
This proves you don't understand how corrosion protection fields work. I am a qualified 3.4U subsea inspection engineer, and CP is the biggest component of our field of work. I have done literally thousands of CP measurements, on pipelines, jackets, wellheads, manifolds and xtrees.

BTW, have you checked continuity between the drive (that's showing signs of corrosion) and its anodes? If not, I suggest you start there....

Chris....

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
This proves you don't understand how corrosion protection fields work. I am a qualified 3.4U subsea inspection engineer, and CP is the biggest component of our field of work. I have done literally thousands of CP measurements, on pipelines, jackets, wellheads, manifolds and xtrees.

BTW, have you checked continuity between the drive (that's showing signs of corrosion) and its anodes? If not, I suggest you start there....

Chris....
One drive shows some corrosion. One doesn't.

I'm a Power Electronics guy so no, I don't know the field of corrosion operates in saltwater.

I'd stop with the snide comments. Noody likes a smarty pants.

If all you people seem to forgotten, I ASKED FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS ONLY.

Nowhere in this post did I ask for help in troubleshooting a device that appears to be working.

alldodge

Staff member
My apologies for misunderstanding your request. All of us just like to help and most posting is to help with a problem. Appears no one has the instructions so if you would call or email Mercedes im sure they can provide and answer

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
My apologies for misunderstanding your request. All of us just like to help and most posting is to help with a problem. Appears no one has the instructions so if you would call or email Mercedes im sure they can provide and answer
No harm, no foul.

I appreciate the concern.

I gotta tell you though, it's quite annoying when your only looking for a simple thing and get called out for not following instructions especially when you weren't looking for any.

Just to clear this thread up. I have an issue, had it for years now with one drive getting more corrosion than the other one. I did a little research and found the part number I posted in hopes of getting an over diagram and schematic of the item...that's all I was looking for.

Please, to all the information Sheriffs out there...relax. Nobody's questioning your experience or knowledge. Just maybe read things a bit better before swinging your Johnson around.

achris

Just maybe read things a bit better before swinging your Johnson around.
Says the first man to mention his EE degree...

You mentioned a problem and a request for the installation instructions. Yes, we all get that. But some of us with a little more experience offered suggests as to how to get the the root of your problem, that it may not be the installation and you do nothing but drop smelly stuff on us and start making accusations and getting all 'high horse' about it. Not cool my friend!

Lesson learnt. Some people don't want help! I'm out....

Chris...

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I gotta tell you though, it's quite annoying when your only looking for a simple thing and get called out for not following instructions especially when you weren't looking for any.

Please, to all the information Sheriffs out there...relax. Nobody's questioning your experience or knowledge. Just maybe read things a bit better before swinging your Johnson around.
loose the edge, you went swinging Johnson’s as well, and to be blunt i dont care if your drives fall off your boat.

when you find your merc instructions you find they don’t really say much… except test the system at the end. But again could care less if your drives rot off.…

if you were smart you’d listen a little some folks here (not me) who have given great troubleshooting advice over years.

Benny67

Chief Petty Officer
loose the edge, you went swinging Johnson’s as well, and to be blunt i dont care if your drives fall off your boat.

when you find your merc instructions you find they don’t really say much… except test the system at the end. But again could care less if your drives rot off.…

if you were smart you’d listen a little some folks here (not me) who have given great troubleshooting advice over years.
.......... Comments on this post were deleted by a moderator.................

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.