Hole repair in a boat deck

moog24

Recruit
I recently removed the trolling motor and there is about a 1" hole where the power cables came out. The deck is made of wood but I am unable to get underneath the floor to attach anything. My question is, what's the best way to plug the hole left behind?

Real_TripleB

Recruit
Find something the size of the hole and use some 5200 to prevent any leaks. Or put in a search light or new accessory.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I'd cut something that you can get behind the hole and fasten it to the underside with 5200 or whatever. Then depending on thickness of plywood either fill remaining gap with 5200 or use a hole saw to cut a plug of plywood and goop in with 5200.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I'd cut something that you can get behind the hole and fasten it to the underside with 5200 or whatever. Then depending on thickness of plywood either fill remaining gap with 5200 or use a hole saw to cut a plug of plywood and goop in with 5200.
He already stated that he cannot get behind the hole.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
I recently removed the trolling motor and there is about a 1" hole where the power cables came out. The deck is made of wood but I am unable to get underneath the floor to attach anything. My question is, what's the best way to plug the hole left behind?

nola mike please indulge me in the "big difference"???? Charlie​

nola mike

Vice Admiral

nola mike please indulge me in the "big difference"???? Charlie​

Wow, bold and in caps? Of course!
Access to the underside means that you can get underneath the deck and get around the bottom of the hole, get tools under there, etc. If there's a hole, you can pass something through the hole but that's it.

Maj92az

Seaman
Cut a round piece to fit the hole close to size. Take a piece of hardwood. Insert it through the hole. screw on the right and left. then take your cut out and lay it over the hole. then use some sealant to seal the gaps. With wood and sheet metal.. that is a common aircraft repair....

Attachments

• hole.png
    hole.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 1

Lectro88

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cut a round piece to fit the hole close to size. Take a piece of hardwood. Insert it through the hole. screw on the right and left. then take your cut out and lay it over the hole. then use some sealant to seal the gaps. With wood and sheet metal.. that is a common aircraft repair....

You can attach with screws as stated above. even put a screw in the piece as a handle. to hold onto.
You can do all the above without screws just epoxy.
Wrap a string or wire around the patching material. and have a topside attachment point, wood, plastic, metal plate, rod. etc.
If your fear glueing to top attachment piece simply use plastic between, siran wrap or plastic baggie anything.. as a nonstick barrier.
After you get that in place you can pour foam in if you need or want it before you close it up completely.
Several different ways you can patch with only topside full access.(limited below access)
You may drop a few pieces in said hole if this is a new technique,.
It has to be narrow enough to get in but a gap can be left on 1 side to pour past.
Just me, I would epoxy everything to help keep water at bay in future. I'm talking about the insert piece, epoxying/coating prior. let it cure so its not so messy and slick, or do it all at once. like I said, many ways to do this.
Best O luck.

Last edited: