New to me boat trailer: Safety chain and loading with bunks.

Jimwhall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I bought a 2016 H190. Its *significantly* heavier than the '95 Sylvan I'm used to; and it is on a bunked trailer as opposed to the Sylvan trailer.

I have two questions:

First; the Sylvan had a safety chain that went from the trailer winch post to the boat eye. This new one does not.
1624539719556.png

it just seems to use the winch. It does have integrated back straps which I like alot. Do I need to install a safety chain? Dry weight for the hull is about 2800lbs.

Second: The Sylvan I would load relatively dry; getting the back rollers in the water then winching the boat up. This prevented drift on the trailer and allowed the boat to center correctly.

With bunks, I'm assuming it has to be farther in the water? I tried winching itup kind of dry and my 13 YO son could do it, but only after we put it back in. How do we stop the drift from wave action? have the bunks just below the waterline?

THanks!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I think a safety change is always a good idea. It would help prevent the boat from coming up over the bow stop and into your tow vehicle should you hit something and come to an abrupt stop.

Even if the trailer doesn't have an attachment point, you can still loop the chain around the center member of the trailer and then up to the bow eye on your boat. (I try to have as little slack as possible in the chain.) That will will keep the boat from rising up and riding over the bow stop at a sudden stop.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
On the bunks you need to go deeper. My bunks are 75% submerged or more when I load, depending on ramp angle.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
On the bunks you need to go deeper. My bunks are 75% submerged or more when I load, depending on ramp angle.
I'm about the same as @Horigan stated when retrieving.
My forward bunks are a little bit out of the water which creates a little friction to keep the boat in place as I start to crank the winch.
Some people gauge it by having their tire fenders just covered with water. It's just a matter of knowing what works for your setup. Once you have a benchmark, it's the same every time and it makes it easy.

When retrieving, I idle toward the trailer aiming for center. When I know I'm centered, I shut the engine down and trim the drive into trailer position. I coast onto the bunks. The boat centers itself onto the bunks and stops. I reach over the open bow and hook the winch strap onto the bow eye. Then I climb over onto the trailer tongue and crank the boat up to the stop. Hook the safety chain, step onto dry land, drive the boat out of the water, then secure the two transom straps and pull away. I never get my feet wet.
It's sad to see multiple people surrounding a boat in the water waste deep trying to get it onto the trailer.
In the past I have helped countless people that were struggling like I described. For several reasons I think I'm just going to keep to myself this year. I'm tired of the arrogance, ignorance and just plain rudeness.

18 foot bow rider approx weight somewhere around 3,000 pounds.

Jimwhall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm about the same as @Horigan stated when retrieving.
My forward bunks are a little bit out of the water which creates a little friction to keep the boat in place as I start to crank the winch.
Some people gauge it by having their tire fenders just covered with water. It's just a matter of knowing what works for your setup. Once you have a benchmark, it's the same every time and it makes it easy.

When retrieving, I idle toward the trailer aiming for center. When I know I'm centered, I shut the engine down and trim the drive into trailer position. I coast onto the bunks. The boat centers itself onto the bunks and stops. I reach over the open bow and hook the winch strap onto the bow eye. Then I climb over onto the trailer tongue and crank the boat up to the stop. Hook the safety chain, step onto dry land, drive the boat out of the water, then secure the two transom straps and pull away. I never get my feet wet.
It's sad to see multiple people surrounding a boat in the water waste deep trying to get it onto the trailer.
In the past I have helped countless people that were struggling like I described. For several reasons I think I'm just going to keep to myself this year. I'm tired of the arrogance, ignorance and just plain rudeness.

18 foot bow rider approx weight somewhere around 3,000 pounds.
LOL yes.

WE struggled with the roller trailer at first. Then a guy came up to my brother and said 'Hey, can I offer some advice, captain to captain?'. He had to chuckle; that was so artfully done; and the guy clearly knew what he was talking about so it was a lesson on when to STH up and listen. :)

Outlw36

Seaman Apprentice
Personally I look at the safety chain as required equipment. If the winch strap breaks you'll want it there. As far as loading, for my boat it needs the top of the fenders 2 inches above the water. I back in till they are covered and then pull forward. This gets the carpet wet so that the slides easier for the foot and a half of winching. I also have the roller guide posts installed so this method works well in calm or windy conditions launching and recovering solo.

Jim Allen

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Spray the bunk carpet with silicone, or swap to bunk slicks (plastic bunk covers)

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I like the little bit of friction the bunk carpet provides, it holds the boat to some degree. I assume it's not just any carpet covering them. It seems to be a plastic based carpet, so it also seems to have the perfect amount of slip.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I put a 30' boat on the trailer with just the roller at the back in the water.------When winching get difficult you back into the water 5 feet.-----Repeat as needed.----Boat will be centered on the trailer every time.

Hwk-I-St8

Cadet
So most of you winch onto the trailer? I just bought a 24' Crownline from my brother in law. He always powered on...it was fast and easy. I haven't had to load yet as I'm in a slip at the lake. I've loaded sailboats for years, but I'm a bit nervous about loading a 5,000 lb beast to be honest.

Jimwhall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So most of you winch onto the trailer? I just bought a 24' Crownline from my brother in law. He always powered on...it was fast and easy. I haven't had to load yet as I'm in a slip at the lake. I've loaded sailboats for years, but I'm a bit nervous about loading a 5,000 lb beast to be honest.
I have never power loaded because all of the landings in my area have rules against it. I think they are okay so long as you more just drift in.

I have lake access in our association though and they are *very* against using the engine in loading the boat because of the damage it has done in the past.

Again, I have no experience with it; I'm assuming some people must have come in with the prop angled down and goosed it too much; basically scouring the sand at the end of the concrete pad.

Jimwhall

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put a 30' boat on the trailer with just the roller at the back in the water.------When winching get difficult you back into the water 5 feet.-----Repeat as needed.----Boat will be centered on the trailer every time.
my biggest fear is that I put too much stress on the eye of my new to me boat and rip it out; but that seems like a good compromise. pull it in till the stress gets too much.

I'm not *too* worried about my last attempt as my 13 YO son winched it on, so it couldn't have been that difficult.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I used a turn buckle on mine. The boat isn't going anywhere

1624635862060.png

Last edited: