1982 evinrude 15hp has fuel spark and compression no crank

mattkline205

Cadet
I was hoping for some advice. I have a 1982 evinrude 15hp pull start I have spark good compression and fuel but still no crank only a back fire sometimes which makes me think it is out of time but i have searched all over the internet and can not figure out how to time it.. and advice would be greatly appreciated thanks guys..

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
I was hoping for some advice. I have a 1982 evinrude 15hp pull start I have spark good compression and fuel but still no crank only a back fire sometimes which makes me think it is out of time but i have searched all over the internet and can not figure out how to time it.. and advice would be greatly appreciated thanks guys..
Check the flywheel drive key has not sheared. It can happen if the flywheel has been removed and the retaining nut not torqued correctly when refitted That's what can put the timing out

How good are your sparks ... they should be strong enough to jump 7/16".
What are your compression figures?
Plugs good ? ( should be Champion QL77JC4 gapped at 0.030" )

mattkline205

Cadet
Check the flywheel drive key has not sheared. It can happen if the flywheel has been removed and the retaining nut not torqued correctly when refitted That's what can put the timing out

I have the champion QL77JC4 gapped to .030” it jumps that gap good. Compression for both bottom and top cylinder is 91. I checked the fly wheel key today and it wasent sheared or anything

mattkline205

Cadet
I have the champion QL77JC4 gapped to .030” it jumps that gap good. Compression for both bottom and top cylinder is 91. I checked the fly wheel key today and it wasent sheared or anything

And the plugs are brand new. Even if I spray alittle starting fluid in there all it will do is give a back fire sound and a puff of white smoke

mattkline205

Cadet
Just checked to see how far the spark in jumping the bottom coil will jump about a 1/2” and the bottom coil might be close to jumping a 7/16” kind of hard to tell really but the top is weaker then the bottom

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
And the plugs are brand new. Even if I spray alittle starting fluid in there all it will do is give a back fire sound and a puff of white smoke
Did you do any work on this engine between it running ok and now not running
I am thinking that if it wont run even briefly on starting fluid and you are sure the flywheel key is OK you might have got the ignition system twisted so that its firing on one when it should be firing on the other.

mattkline205

Cadet
I bought the motor and the guy said it ran a month ago but it hasent cranked since I got it. I took the fly wheel key off and took it up to a boat repair shop and the mechanic said it looked fine. I haven’t done any work to the ignition system but I’m going to switch the plug wires tomorrow and see if something is backwards. I’m thinking about going and buying another coil since one has kind of weak spark.

mattkline205

Cadet
Got it running switched plug wires around and it cranked right up. When I bought it seller didn’t have the coils going to the right plug thank you for your input

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Got it running switched plug wires around and it cranked right up. When I bought it seller didn’t have the coils going to the right plug thank you for your input
The top coil should go to the top plug and the bottom coil to the bottoms plug.
What has almost certainly happened is that the low tension wiring, or the coils complete with LT wiring. have been switched over'

You now have 2 wrongs making a right. Leave it but perhaps sort it out properly if you ever remove the coils for any other reason..