Slide in transom

Rich Hargis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any body replace their transom by sliding it down from top? Or from the outside?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Slide in transom

i don't think you will ever get a good bond sliding in in from the top, and it is usually done from inside, for cosmetic reason, of not disturbing the gel coat and more than necessary,and you can make sure it hasn;t gone into the floor structure.

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

You'll want to work from the inside, but you are going to grind up the outside skin of the transom later anyways before wetting out many layers glass, so forget the gelcoat.<br /><br />Get the inside surface prepped for the work. On the side of the wood that is going against the inside shell of the transom, lay up 3 or so layers glass. Before you wet out the third or so layer, round out the corners where the transom meets the hull sides/bottom with some fillets. Then wet out the last layer, drop it in and either clamp it with lots of clamps or bolt it in with lots of bolts and 1x4's. You will probably have to run extra fillets after to fill any voids between the hull sides and transom if you didn't lay a big enough fillet the first time.<br /><br />Then comes the job of building up the glass on the inside of the transom and outside.

surlyjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Seacast pours in from the top.. you still have to get the old wood out first tho...

bowlin257

Seaman Apprentice

I'm in the process of doing a slide in transom replacement. Have talked with many FG rep's and they say it will work, we'll see. I have cut new transom wood to allow about 1/8" encapulsation all around for bonding new wood to cavity skins. Waiting on warm weather now to do the FG pour.

BillP

Captain

I think it will be fine with only inside glassing and the motor's clamping pressure. But, you will be fortunate to get it down to only 1/8" gap without grinding. I've done transoms and that is very tight without grinding. I suspect sliding the new wood down in the slot will need some patience as you will probably have to work the high spots off. Standard poly resin is to brittle to gap fill. Even 1/8" thick will crack. You need to use either poly casting resin with filler(cloned as seacast)or epoxy to gap fill.<br /><br />Good luck. Let us know how it goes.<br /><br />bp

bowlin257

Seaman Apprentice

I will be using a low viscocity epoxy with the thought it will flow better. I also plan on vibrating the wood and skins to help with the flow and settling in. I am thinkiing about a small amount of milled glass to help with bonding

bowlin257

Seaman Apprentice

I live in Missouri, the weather has been cold so no FG work being done. Waiting on warm temps before pouring. Found stringers to be bad, have stripped them of old wood and will do same as transom wood. No wood left in boat now, powerwasher made quick work of blasting out rotted wood.

Rich Hargis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hear ya about the weather,It was only 70 degrees here today(10 miles south of San Diego)But I guess thats my hardship.(ha ha)Keep me posted on your project.<br /><br />Thanks Rich

bosavy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i did mine from the top . Then used plywood and used west marine expoxy 'works excellent good luck