Can I remove oxidation from aluminum windshield frame

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer
Can I remove oxidation from aluminum windshield frame

I have been tring to remove oxidation from my windshields's aluminum frame. I've tried just about every product out there, but nothing seems get it off. The oxidation is really not all that bad, but whats there, I'd like to get off so it doesnt get worse. The aluminum itself is smooth, and in good shape. And what oxidation that is on, is at the surface. (not pitted) I guess i'm just a perfectionist.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Can I remove oxidation from aluminum windshield frame

the only thing i know of is acid wash but you would have to remove winsheild.theres a granulate soap that would take off just about anything made by foremost but i dont how to get that stuff anymore.i havent used any for years.may check internet

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

MJ, what you are seeing is a break down of the anodized (controled oxidation) coating on the aluminum. See link.<br /><br /> http://www.aacoa.com/anodizing/how.htm <br /><br />Certain conditions will cause that coating to turn irregularly milky white, leaving the surface smooth. Once you 'grind' or 'etch' that discoloration off, you will get down to the raw aluminum. The raw aluminum will oxidize and deteriorate even more quickly and leave the surface rough pitted.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If nothing else works, try fine steel whool followed by polishing compound. This will, of course, remove any protective anodized coating and require you to continually apply polish and wax to keep it mirror shiny. This is the situation I have with my old windshield frame. Polish, wax, wax, wax, Polish, wax, wax wax... This spring I plan to polish it again, then spray with a clear coat of Rustolium and see how it holds up.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

they make a clear coat that has etching in the clear for alum.ive used it before works good its a ppg product.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for that info, racer 15. I'm going to look for it at the ppg website.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

I wouldn't use steel wool- it can embed itself in the aluminum and cause nasty looking rust later on. 600 emory cloth works better and doesn't leave tiny pieces of steel behind to rust. But once you get it clean, you'll have to seal it again like Mark said. I have found that Mother's Mag Wheel polish does a great job on raw aluminum for removing oxidation. <br /><br />UFM82

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

truckers trick . alumabrite made by p&s chemical co.. or meguires hot wheel cleaners . these have phosheric acid in mild concentrations.

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

:)

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you do go the mothers polish route go with the billet aluminum cleaner . it is more powerfull than just the normal mothers cleaner .. and use a microfiber

timmathis

Lieutenant

I have found the stuff you need It works great on all meatels. It is called Never Dull. You get it at wal-mart in the auto clean up stuff or you can get it at advance auto and autozone. It comes in a silver can and it it is like a giant wet cotton ball. you just break off a small piece and rub the metal a little not hard at all. Then you polish it with a clean rag, paper towel and it will be like new. I have tried just about everything over the years and this is the best stuff you will find. It will take rust off stuff too. It is as soft as cotton and can't scratch it... Never Dull,It works like magic. Tim

dmarkvid2

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Tim, And thanks everyone!

18rabbit

Captain

I'd go back up there and re-read Boomyal's posting. In general, aluminum and stainless steel want to be left alone with their oxidized surface exposed to air.