90 HP force in '94 Regal jet boat

The Force power

Commander
looking at a '94 Regal yet boat (motor missing) according the seller it has a 90 hp Force power head as the outboards

my question; would I be able to just take a 90 hp force outboard & drop that in?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look into compatibility of the spline on the jet pump input shaft .-------May not be the same as the outboard crankshaft.-----Also have to change over the exhaust cover parts.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
I am nor aware of an 80 hp jet boat (by mercury).
I had a 93 with the 90 HP motor and it had the 90 hp three cylinder.
I had bought it for the parts especially the crank, but it had a different spline than the 95 mercury I had in my Hobie Jet.
The outboard cranks are not alleged to fit the jets. I cannot prove that is the case, but I do know that there is a difference in the 93 and later.
The outboard has a different baseplate to bolt to the jet pump, but these can be swapped between the outboard and the jet motors.
If there is a difference it is not in block or crankcase, but rather in the splines in the crank.
Removed - Mod Team
You could check the part numbers of the cranks between the 94 and 95 jet cranks and the outboards.
I had thought that all of the jet motors had the same splines up until I rebuilt a 93 motor (90 hp) and tried to mount it on the pump.
I ended up taking it apart (I had had one cylinder sleeved) and replacing the earlier crank with the one out of the old motor.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Force power

Commander
I had thought that all of the jet motors had the same splines up until I rebuilt a 93 motor (90 hp) and tried to mount it on the pump.
I ended up taking it apart (I had had one cylinder sleeved) and replacing the earlier crank with the one out of the old motor.

thanks for the response, question on the last part where you said;replacing the earlier crank with the one out of the old motor.

are you saying a crank out of a '89 would have the same splines as the pump?
I will have to do some digging on the spline of the pump from this particular '94 Regal

thank you

The Force power

Commander
thanks for the response, question on the last part where you said;replacing the earlier crank with the one out of the old motor.

are you saying a crank out of a '89 would have the same splines as the pump?
I will have to do some digging on the spline of the pump from this particular '94 Regal

thank you

Sorry, I after reading it again, the coin dropped. got it now. lol
that's one of my defects; not really reading what is says.:facepalm::frusty:

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
My understanding is that the jet motors had different splines. I had thought that all of the jet motors had the same splines, but I proved myself wrong on that one!!!!!
I have an early crank (1993) I believe that would not fir on a 1994-5 pump.
By the way the year of manufacture of the boat might not match the year of manufacture of the motor/pump!
I have not counted the splines on the '93 crank, but it is not the same as the later and the internals on the pump are different as well.
Since the pump was different internally I did not keep it, but I did keep the wear ring and other outside parts as they looked like they would fit the 95.
The intake grate and ride plate are different in that the oil change ports are not the same.

The Force power

Commander
Between your & jerryjerry05 & racerone advice + some digging myself, I have decided not to go for the adventure(buying the yet-boat)

thank you all, for the advice