Interior Refinishing (Durabak didn't last long!)

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer
Last year, I decided to get rid of the worn out shredded carpet in my Blue Wave. I purchased and applied a coating called Durabak. Initially, the boat looked great, and I was completely satisfied with the material. The color and finish was very nice for a relatively inexpensive D.I.Y. coating, as seen below:<br />
before10cu.jpg
<br />
before20na.jpg
<br /><br />My boat is garaged, so sunlight and weather didn't get to it unless I was fishing.<br /><br />Well, during my first trip to the TX coast, less than a week after applying the coating, I had to store it outside for 3 days while we were there. Through that time and the time while we were fishing, the blue coating faded and turned a 'torquise' color. I thought it had to do with dust build up, salt water, dirt, etc...until I took it to the car wash and I noticed that the color of the coating would rinse away at a car wash, leaving just the rubber granules on the boat.<br /><br />Come to find out, Durabak sent me the NON-UV resistant blue, and the UV resistant white. Neither one of their gallon cans says UV/Non-UV, so I had no way of knowing. When I called them back to discuss the problem, all they wanted to do was sell me new UV-Resistant material at original cost. I was even more fed-up when I saw the original receipt showed UV Resistant for BOTH gallons...so they shipped the wrong stuff.<br /><br />So, I've now got decks that are part torquise, part bare resin and a white floor.<br /><br />The white floor is holding it's color well. It is just dirty in the pics. There is only one spot where I dropped the anchor and hit it on an angle where I managed to chip the coating...other than that, it's in good shape. I did notice that this material seems to be nothing more than a hard epoxy paint with granules mixed in...because once you walk on it long enough the color wears off and the rubber granules come through.<br /><br />Needless to say, I don't want to spend the money to re-do the boat with Durabak. I can't say I'm un-impressed with the white floor, but I can't stand to look at the faded/blotchy blue decks and sides any longer...and I'm un-impressed with the service I received on a mis-shipment.<br /><br />Here are a few pictures showing the 'AFTER'. Please note that this boat is stored in-doors and sees sunlight only when it's on the water. Note the areas where you can see fibgerglass through the blue coating (which was 'thick', 2 gallons worth...3 coats). Please excuse the messy boat...I am dismantling it, AGAIN!<br />
after39hy.jpg
<br />(click the pic for larger version)<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /><br />So, here are the two options I'm considering:<br /><br />1) Have a professional Bedliner sprayed into the boat. Same bedliner I've got in my truck...excellent product ($700 through a friend who works for the company). The prep is easy, it will basically stick right on top of this durabak because it is so rough and porous. Just a good cleansing and a scuff with 40grit in corners, and it's good to go.<br /><br />2) Remove the durabak, and GelCoat the interior with a splatter type finish like they come with from the factory. I have never applied gel coat, but I am an avid automotive painter and I assume it could not be much more difficult than laying a set of flames on a 32 Ford. My main concern here is cost. What does gel coat cost? Could I do the interior of a boat fairly cheap?<br /><br />I'm considering the gel-coat option. I assume that I could do it for less than the bedliner, and It would be more 'factory' appearing. I'm considering trading the boat for a larger model in the near future...and dealers seem to be a bit leary of any type of aftermarket paints/etc. <br /><br />Thanks for looking. Let me know what you think.<br /><br />And if anyone has questions on Durabak, feel free to email me.<br />S_Queeney@hotmail.com<br /><br />ShawnQ

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Interior Refinishing (Durabak didn't last long!)

Man... I'd be P.O.ed myself... and Durabak not doing anything to rectify the situation doesn't help. I'd go as far up to the top as I could with that company. <br /><br />AS far as getting it done... Is there going to be any type of gauruntee? Might end up in the same boat your in now.<br /><br />It sucks that things like this has gotto happen

G DANE

Commander

Since their products are ment for use on truck bedliners and so, why on earth do they have non uv resistant ???

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

DAVE J Z,<br /><br />I am tired of talking to them to be honest...I'd rather just cut my losses, and move on. Even had there product been UV Resistant, it seems that the colored part wears away revealing the rubber granules. Eventually, the rubber granules would come off the bottom coat of color, and you'd be stuck with a bare glass boat, ready to re-coat again. If I bought 5 or 6 gallons and coated it as thick as a sprayed on liner...it would be great, but that's too expensive.<br />Regardless of whether or not they helped with replacement...I'd still have to R&I all the parts, prep the boat, and spend my time doing it.<br /><br />I'd much rather do it one last time and be done with it.<br /><br />The sprayed on bedliner folks said they would guarantee their work, and their product. Their bedliner in my truck is holding up grade. <br />The only downfall is that it would be black.<br />They spray colors, but the manager came right out and said that the colors tend to fade because it is just a pigment added to the original chemical. He said the product wont breakdown, but the color will fade.<br /><br />The gel-coat is probably the cheaper route...wish I knew what all it took to get it done.<br /><br />G Dane,<br />I was thinking the same thing...why would you sell NON-UV when your main market is Truck Beds, Exterior Walkways for buildings, and Boats/Ships?<br /><br />SQ

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

What a joke... I've delt with a few companies and have to give up... your right, not worth messin with it anymore. <br /><br />to Me the black would be to hot, and might make for an uncomfortable desicion, but there is a garuantee... <br /><br />If I were in your position, I would prolly figure out how to re gel it.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Gel-Coat seems to be the best decision at this point.<br /><br />Hopefully I can find something to get the durabak off fairly easy. (Leave it in the sun for a week and then pressure wash it!! ;) )<br /><br />Now if I can just get some info on the Gel-Coat process.<br /><br />I know the basics...but I'm not sure what it takes to get a 'flat' finish instead of a gloss. I assume it's a flattening additive, or it is flat by nature, and then polished to a gloss if desired.<br />Also, the splatter...I believe that is called webbing, and they use an additive to create that as well. That is sprayed by messing with your air pressure and material volume, and the additive makes it dry mid-air so it looks stringy as it hits.<br /><br />I just wish there was more of a 'how-to' on it...<br /><br />SQ

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Although I have never done it, I have heard and read that during the coat process, when you sand each coat you use the correct grit to achieve the desired end finish which is then polished. What are they... no clue.<br /><br />Search here or on google... Been thinking about it myself for a project just haven't gotten that far into it yet.<br /><br />EDIT: Just got done readin some info on web... Gelcoat will automatically have a orange peel effect that you will want to sand off and polish for smooth shiney finish... might be worth just keeping the ending orange peel effect... It's rough, durable, and usually orange peel doesn't have a real good shine to it.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Dave,<br /><br />My biggest lack of knowledge with this stuff is the materials themselves. I wouldn't know what to order, or how much I'd use, etc.<br /><br />Unfortunately my paint suppliers are all too far from water to know anything about marine materials...<br /><br />I'll search more tomorrow. I remember KeltonKrew and I were chit-chatting a while back when I initially ordered the Durabak. He did Ultra Tuff or something else on his interior. I'm wondering how it's holding up...and would also like to ask him about his Gel-Coating (he did exterior).<br /><br />If I get the interior knoccked out and looking good...I plan to re-do the exterior of the boat as well. Basically, I'm trying to get a new boat at a used boat price...which is very possible if you do everything yourself.<br /><br />My boat is a 1995...the hull is the EXACT same today as it was in '95 (why fix what isn't broken?). So, with that said, if I can make it look new...the only way to tell them apart would be the Hull ID#. I'm trying!<br /><br />SQ

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a good reference site for material cost and also very competitive on pricing. US Composites Have not done any gel-coat myself...Yet. I have been looking into it.

bartborchardt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you checked out Zolatone? <br /><br /><br /> Zolatone <br /><br />I've heard nothing but good things about it.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Zolatone looks great on the website and all, but I'm just a little gun-shy I guess.<br /><br />Durabak looks great on the website as well.<br /><br />It looked great for the first week that it was applied also...but look at it now.<br /><br />Thanks for the Gel-Coat info guys...I plan to look into that heavily this weekend.<br /><br />Take care,<br />Shawn

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Stick with gel coat, it will be simple to do, you can either spray or roll it for this job, there won't be much of a difference. You can buy the webbing solution, it's added to the gel coat to get the splatter finish, it needs to be sprayed to get the right look, but it's very easy, it's the last step in the job. The only problem you will have is getting all of the Durabak off, it will need to be completely removed for the gel coat to stick well.<br />You won't need any special tools and around 2 to 3 gallons of gel coat is what it take to cover it. Wax will need to be added to the final layer of gel coat so it will cure well on the surface.<br /><br />Truck bed liner type products hold up OK, but like you said, they don't look stock, so some people may not like it. Plus they are very heavy, it can add a couple of hundred pounds to the boat.

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Ondarvr,<br /><br />Is there any way to add a grit to the gelcoat finish? I've been on some factory finished boats that are slick when wet.<br /><br />Also, the bedliner stuff isn't heavy if you roll it on. I removed 65lbs of carpet/glue, and added 35lbs of Durabak...so the durabak was almost half the weight of carpet.<br /><br />The sprayed-in 'truck' liners are much thicker though...and most likely heavier.<br /><br />Thanks for the info..<br /><br />SQ

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Wow shawn,<br />I am sorry to hear about your bad experince with the durabak people. I did my boat in light blue about the same time as yours and keep mine outside and it still looks great. I must have got the uv resistant type. <br />Mail (registered mail) them a copy of your recipt underlining the UV part and some copies of your digital pics with a short note saying they sent the wrong stuff and you are going to take them to small claims if they don't make it right and I bet you will be getting the right stuff in the mail pronto. Then wipe down your boat with xylene and recoat. You shouldn't have to go through this crap to get them to own up to a shipping error. I think you will find it's a lot easier than either chipping all the durabak off to re gelcoat or alot cheaper than $700.00 for bedliner.<br />Good luck

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Bluewater,<br /><br />Post up some pics of your boat if you don't mind.<br /><br />Or email them<br />S_Queeney@hotmail.com<br /><br />I am still considering the durabak coating. Like I said, I'm fairly impressed with the UV light grey I put on the floor...but the blue was pathetic. For the cost/time, the Durabak would definitely be the easy route. I could quote simply re-coat the boat with durabak, as opposed to peeling all of the durabak away and re-starting. However, I don't want to do this again.<br /><br />I'd like to see pics of a boat that has been stored outdoors, with the UV resistant coating. I'm almost wondering if the stuff I got was not only NON-UV, but just plain 'defective'. I would think that even if it wasn't UV resistant, it would last longer than it did...especially being stored indoors.<br /><br />SQ

thehermit

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Shawn,<br /><br />I covered my skiff in grey about the same time you did yours. Not only did the Duraback not stick all that well but it ended up peeling up in sheets. Boat has been sold but I simply did my new boat with interlux. For now I am going to leave the bedliner products for the back of my truck.<br />TH

ShawnQ

Chief Petty Officer

Thehermit,<br /><br />Was yours UV resistant?<br /><br />SQ

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Yes you can add sand to create a non skid surface, most paint stores carry it. <br />Yes sprayed in bed liners can be heavy, a boat mag did a 14' jon boat to see how well it worked, they liked the results, but it added 150 lbs to a 150 lb boat. they did more than just the bottom of the floor though. They said if they knew it was going to add so much, they would have done less of it. <br />If the only problem with the Durabak is that it was not the UV product and you like how it worked, it would most likely be easier to stick with it. It may be difficult to get it all off so you can gel coat it.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I forgot to say that I have a Blue Wave too, it's the only one I know of in the Seattle area.<br />I am planning on removing the carpet in mine and gel coating (with nonskid)that area also. Let us know how it turns out.