Alpha one gen 2 Gimbal housing gasket seal

dlogvine

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm replacing a Volvo penta 4.3 v6 original engine with Mercruiser 4.3. The outdrive and gimbal housing is replaced with the alpha one gen 2 version. I had to drill 2 holes in a transom to fit the alpha 1 gen 2 gimbal housing and decided to replace the rubber gasket/seal in the gimbal. The new one is slipping from the grove. Should I glue it down? And if yes what kind of glue should I use? I can use some waterproof sealant adhesive or should I go for something stronger like bellows adhesive? Thx.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I just put a little bellows adhesive in the groove, too. Held the gasket in very nicely.

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Some form of rubber cement... I used Copper Coat, but basically the same as bellows adhesive. If I had to do it over, I would also have added a thin coat of 4200 when I installed the housing on the transom. Transom bolts aren't tightened all that much and the 4200 will make a nice gasket to fiberglass seal.

scoflaw

Ensign
That gasket is made out of the wrong material, that foam rubber loses its tension after a while and will compress to paper thin . I used 4200 on both sides.

alldodge

Staff member
Ya know if the gaskets where that bad, there would be threads all over the net about boats leaking.

scoflaw

Ensign
Ya know if the gaskets where that bad, there would be threads all over the net about boats leaking.

All the rotted transom threads are proof of this gasket failure. Could not believe what this gasket looked like when I fixed my leak last spring., you could pull it apart with your fingers. What kind of quality do expect for 10 bucks ?

alldodge

Staff member
All the rotted transom threads are proof of this gasket failure

Guess well just agree to disagree, the transom issues that I've seen is not from the seal failure, they are from other causes (steering pin seal, bellows, holes drilled for senders, etc) which caused the transom to soften, and then the leak starts

Bondo

Staff member
Guess well just agree to disagree, the transom issues that I've seen is not from the seal failure, they are from other causes (steering pin seal, bellows, holes drilled for senders, etc) which caused the transom to soften, and then the leak starts

Ayuh,..... I agree, the failure of that gasket is usually a result of other issues, rather than the cause,.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I'm yet to see one of those seals fail. Transom rot starting in the stud holes is usually a result of water on the inside of the bilge, originating elsewhere. Or an unsealed screw hole (think transom mounted sounder transducer) made by dumb owners who don't think sealing the hole before putting the screw in is necessary. :facepalm:

Rick Stephens

Admiral
Have you seen a leak Rick?

Yah. When I redid my transom and built the new motor mounts, I got the thing within spec, but still not perfectly flat. I had to go back and additionally tighten the transom plate bolts to dry things up. I wish I had 4200'd the gasket when I installed it.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
That gasket is made out of the wrong material, that foam rubber loses its tension after a while and will compress to paper thin . I used 4200 on both sides.

I have removed at least 1/2 dozen Alphas and Bravos and every one had collapsed or flattened the seal. All the 7/16" studs were rusted so they got water on them from somewhere. 5200 or 4200 film inside and under gasket makes you sleep better and maybe give you a couple of more years before leaks. Just my 2 cents...

alldodge

Staff member
6 out of (talking a WAG) 10 million assemblies and your sure this was from a leak of the gasket and not somewhere else?

scoflaw

Ensign
6 out of (talking a WAG) 10 million assemblies and your sure this was from a leak of the gasket and not somewhere else?

So from your experience what was the gasket condition on assemblies you have removed ? Did the gaskets spring back to their round shape ?

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander

Not at all. But, it is a simple process to add and at least water has another barrier.

alldodge

Staff member
So from your experience what was the gasket condition on assemblies you have removed ? Did the gaskets spring back to their round shape ?

The one removed from my Formula during transom work was still pliable but would not spring back to full size, but also was not leaking

Photo868.jpg