Old Avon RIB Refurbish

joeyd

Cadet
I have a very old model that I've had for a few years. I'd like to refurbish this thing and get new tubes for it as the hull is still in great shape. <br /><br />Has anyone ever done this? Is it expensive and where do I go>

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Old Avon RIB Refurbish

It's not cheap in the slightest for tubes-probably more than the hull's worth if it's old. Try rib.net forums for some ideas. They'll have a better idea how much and where to get them in the states.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Are the tubes leaking? If they just look bad you can use this paint on them....... inflatable paint <br /><br />I used it on an old Quicksilver once, course it sold before I could see the results...... :rolleyes: <br /><br />There are also places that work on inflatables full time, these would be the people to talk to. It's not a do it yourself type job.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try contacting these guys, I've been to their shop and they have a full crew of guys doing exactly what you're asking about.<br /><br /> web page

remus

Cadet

Hey I have an old avon inflatable and I glanced at that infaltable paint web site. It looks great. How can I tell if my boat is PVC or hypalon?

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tell us what type/brand of inflatable it is. Hypalon is usually very smooth and has a rubbery look. PVC usually has a "texture" to it, looks like tiny little bumps in the mat'l. Like I said, I used that paint once, recomended by a guy that was telling me he just painted his. You gotta stick to the same color as you can scratch it off with your fingernails. Looks great though, I'd recomend it if the raft's beyond cleaning with inflatable cleaner..... good luck

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Remus-if it's an Avon then it's Hypalon. To my knowledge they've never used anything else-certainly since 1970 it's been hypalon all the way.

joeyd

Cadet

Thanks for the answers guys. I called around and there are no replacement tubes for this boat. It's a 91 which to me doesn't seem all that old. But it's from FL and the sun isn't kind to many things there.<br /><br /><br />I'll look at the links you gave me, maybe there's something.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If the tubes are too old then you might be able to get some tubes that would work from this company or another one like them:<br /> http://www.jpwinc.com/index.html?page=products&category=Boats <br /><br />This might be something that a pro needs to do. I don't know enough about inflatables to say.<br /><br />Maybe the hull could be brought or shipped to one of these companies like the one above and they could add the tubes...who knows!

joeyd

Cadet

I've come to one decision after all this research, it's not worth repairing. So far I've gotten prices of 3k for new tubes from after market, Avon does not have tubes and the only solution seems to be the paint. <br /><br />I can't see spending the money (roughly $300) on paint that probably will scratch off within a year. Seems easier to just sell the boat and buy a new one. So that's my course of action.