Need room in rear can I cut splashwell

Realgun

Commander
In the rear of the boat were seats next to the outboard. They are not going back, to darn loud, but I need the floation there as it was under the seats. I also want to be closer to rear so i can troll and land fish if need be.<br /><br />Will it look tacky?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Need room in rear can I cut splashwell

What I can see,<br />It'd Look Better if you leave the Splashwell,+ Moved the Foam.......<br /><br />Splashwells keep Alot of water Out of the Boat...........<br />I guess it would depend on How you cut it.......

Realgun

Commander

I want to cut off the cupholder area in the rear and glue a piece of wood shaped to fit in its place. I know I can do this but in getting it to look right I will need to "match" the gelcoat.<br />
67.jpg
<br /><br />In looking at the picture hmm maybe not.

Bondo

Staff member

Cut it back,+ add a plywood panel for a stiffener,+ cover it with whatever you're using for the side panels.......

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't cut that up If it were mine. Maybe you could built a deck across the stern at flush height with the top of the spashwell? Kind of like a bassboat you know? You'd lose the seats but you've got those torn out anyway. Maybe you'd pick up some storage?<br /><br />Your webpage is nice, it really helps to be able to see what you've got going on! Did you get the windshields straightened out?

gord 495

Seaman Apprentice

i'm in the beginning stages of redoing my Bayliner 2270 explorer, almost all of the floor is rotted out. It is amazing that so many of these boat builders did such a poor job of designing a proper bilge, in which all water beneath the floor would have a place to go, instaed of being trapped and rotting out your floor.<br /> to hopefully answer your question, maybe you can buy foam tubing and install under your gunwales, that way you'll still be legal when it comes to flotation.

gord 495

Seaman Apprentice

and oh ya, remove the seats on both sides and keep the splashwell...that'll look good. good luck and nice job so far

Realgun

Commander

CalicoKid <br />The windshield is still not square but...the hydrolic jack works. the windshiled lined up no real problems, only had to move either side .5". about 5 pumps on the jack which is not much. As the jack is side way between the consoles you can actually push a little from the middle out and cause the jack to fall whch in my mind means that it is not pushing too hard. <br /><br />Hmm not cutting looks better and better. Only issue I see is that the controls and all wiring runs on the starbard side behind the seat. This might be hard to rerun. I am going to rewire the entire boat. Some things worked then quit. Then only the trim/tilt and motor worked. Damn Bayliner. 100.00 more and they could have had a better boat. Now I am left fixing their mistakes. :) OH man am I having fun!!!!!!<br />If only money didn't squeeek. :D

Realgun

Commander

Would stepping the rear down look ok?. Maybe halway from rear to middle of splash guard would be even with splash guard then the normal height of 12" where the battery goes(starboard) and storage on the other side(port).

crab bait

Captain

neet project..!! <br /><br />the splash well is engineered into the boat.. MANY things/parts of a boat really isn't there because of a 'niceity'.. they'er there because of strength an boat worthyness.. <br /><br />that bein' said,, splash wells are incorporated in for transom strength.. <br /><br />boats without wells,, there transom's are strongly built without them.. <br /><br />like taken a hard top car,, cuttin' off the top an NOW it's now a convertable.. can't do it.. <br /><br />not 100 % sure anymore .. but one grade is for epoxy only.. the way i remember,, E-GRADE glass is for for epoxy only.. an S-GRADE is for polyester resin..

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I cut mine, no problems. Freed up all sorts of room.