How cold can it be before it does not work.

Realgun

Commander
I have the Medium Epoxy from U.S. Composites and the temps are 55-60F day time and 31-37F right before the sun rises. I know the stuff will take a while to cure I don't care as I only work on it once or twice a week. I do keep the Epoxy in the house at 70F. I usually mix it at the Kitchen table then take it out to the boat. I know it will take a while to cure but will it cure in say 48 hours? Will it hurt the strength?<br />I cannot leave it in the garage overnight due to the wife wanting both vehicles in the garage at night. I agree with her as we have never had a window broken out, gas siphoned, stolen etc... :)

prockvoan

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How cold can it be before it does not work.

Add more MEK,cut down your cure time.Take an oz,Add about 15% more MEK,check your cure time.I used epoxie in 40 drg weather,more MEK and it was alright.

Realgun

Commander

No MEK for this guy! I use the 2 part epoxy I know I should have said the type.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You can heat the work and get to set faster, it will still fully cure in reasonable cool conditions tho...just a thought

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Can you cover your work and use a space heater. Even with just a poly tarp, a space heater will heat a closed area sufficient to set off the epoxy. Ya got no fumes to worry about.

ThomWV

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Heating the mix or heating the work area are options, and I often use a small electric heater in the fall and spring (much later than this and its just too cold no matter what I do) works wonders too. The first thing you should look into would be a faster set hardner. I use Raka's epoxy nowdays myself and so there are a number of hardners I might use. US Composits should be the same way, just check and see what the fastest they have is. One of the nice things about Raka's stuff is they all use the same ratio mix, so if you use pumps and have jugs of each of the different hardners you can essentially mix up each batch to the needs of the moment - based mostly on how hot its got outside by the time you actually start work. So in the morning when its cool I might be using 4 pumps of fast and two pumps of slow in the mix, but by noon I might change that to 3 and 3 or if it got real hot I might even go to 4 slow set and 2 fast, whatever it took to get the results I needed. Its nice to be able to do that.<br /><br />Thom<br /><br />Thom

Realgun

Commander

I am so cheap I dont want to use a space heater. :D (Don't have 1 of those) However I have the boat covered and can use a hairdryer to heat it up a little. If it just takes longer to cure then thats fine. I was just worried that if it got too cold before it setup completly that it would lose strength or something. Would love to be able to use a faster hardener however the budget is so tight oil won't even make it squeak!

jimmythekid

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have put in a 100W light bulb under the cover to prevent freezing (emergencies) keeps it pretty warm even when really cold outside<br /> just a thought

Realgun

Commander

JTK I am so cheap all I have is either a 56 watt or a 22 watt florecent. :( <br />I think the hardryer will have to do if I really need it. I wanted to know if a low temp with hurt the epoxy- seems no. I think I can wait a few days<br />to see if it holds up.

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Realgun:<br />Send me your address, I will loan you the $9.95 to go to Wally World, and buy a heater. :) <br /><br />Like Boom said put a blue tarp over it and the Wally World heater will put it in the 70's during the day.

Speakrdude

Ensign

Direct heat will work better than radiant heat. If your work area is not too large, use 100 heat lamps. Walmart sells with reflectors for around $10.00 each. worked great for me when I was rebuilding my transom in the dead of winter. <br /><br /><br />Jim

Realgun

Commander

Oh jeeze I sound like I am homeless :) I have the 20.00 dollars for the heaters if I really want 1, but it is getting warm in the daytime for now so I will just wing it. The boat has a Blue Boat cover on it already. Seems to be warm under it from just the sun. I will get my portable indoor thermometer and see what the temp is BRB...<br /><br />45F outside 60F under and it is only 10:45a.m. or so<br /><br />Will check at 2:00p.m. to see if it gets any warmer under the tarp it is supposed to be 60F or so today.<br /><br />I just checked it at 4:30 (the wife did) and was about 70 or so she said under the boat cover. I guess the sun helps!

Speakrdude

Ensign

Dangggg Real Gun! I just looked at all your progress pics. What are you asking us questions for? From looking at the quality work and attention to detail you have completed so far, we should be asking you for advise. Good job. I know its tough. I did almost the exact same project last year to a 95 Maxum 1750 I/O. Very similar boat. It is all worth it when your out on the lake in the middle of the summer with your family and friends admiring your work. <br /><br />Jim

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Speakerdude haven't you figured out Realgun.<br /><br /><br />Admiral Realgun:<br />Gleans information from numerous and varied sources.<br />After said information is collected and evaluated, <br />he uses a hypothesis to intelligently decide what course of action<br />that would be the most financially rewarding, and beneficial, and<br />meet the requirements of his goal.<br /> ;)

Realgun

Commander

:eek: If I could blush I would. :D You have to use the RESOURCES here as in SEARCH. They have gone before and have helped immensly. <br />I got about 3/4 of the deck done in fiberglass on a 67F day. That was 2 weeks ago! Since then it has rained and snowed in New Mexico of all places.<br />Seems the sun warms the boat under the cover enough to glass but in moving the cover it gets cold fast! Now if only I had research the seating for my boat BEFORE I put in the floor. :confused:

Realgun

Commander

BTW I Bought a heater at the home depot for $19.00. I actually Bought it for work as the warehouse where we do all our mailing gets cold. Everytime the door opens it blasts cold air and my fingers were getting so stiff!<br /><br />Now the weather is even nastier! OH well Cold is for Christmas anyway.<br /><br />Heres wishing you and yours MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!<br /><br />cc Lancer hope you don't mind but I loved your comment so much!!! (Look at the signature)

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If that bothers you be thankful you dont live in Maine it was 0 degrees F a few days ago with a wind that would blow through your jacket.

Realgun

Commander

Moving to Maine is definatly not my goal. Is Maine in the U.S.? And does it ever get warm enough to do epoxy? :D

Realgun

Commander

In doing further resaearch it looks like I need to get a temperature of 60 degrees or better for 24 hours to cure the epoxy I have now. If I move to a FAST type i can go as low as 35 degrees.<br />Guess I will order some fast epoxy.

Realgun

Commander

I finally got a heater and the time to finish my floor. The epoxy did set up but is not totally cured. Had a small heater under the cover for a total of 10 hours. Should have totally cured but only got the the sticky stage where it is dry to touch but sticky if steped on. Weather was 55 degrees max and I did the heater over night when temps fell to 33.