Plastic permanent fuel tank?

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class
I used to have a built-in steel 18 gallon tank on my Glastron. I am replacing it. I had intended to use a 16.5 gallon Tempo permanent plastic tank that is dimensionally the same and probably holds the same amount, just doesn't count the reserve or something. I priced around, and the Price at Bass Pro Shops is WAY better than here on iBoats or elsewhere for what seems to be the same tank(like $80 as opposed to $140).<br /><br />So, two questions:<br />1. Is there a good reason NOT to use plastic tanks?<br /><br />2. Is there some reason why the BPS tank would be lesser quality and therefore that explains the price difference? It certainly seems to be the same tank, and I don't see a reason to pay more, just so I can feel like "if I paid more it is better".<br /><br />BTW, when I install it, I am going to use all new hardware and hoses, so I don't have old hoses dirtying up my new tank.<br /><br />$0.01 for your thoughts,<br />Joe

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Plastic permanent fuel tank?

Hi Joe,<br /><br />If the tank is the same manufacturer ID/part number then it is the same part. Only other difference is if one place is selling factory 'seconds'. A phone call should straighten that out.

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Mark42:<br /> Hi Joe,<br /><br />If the tank is the same manufacturer ID/part number then it is the same part. Only other difference is if one place is selling factory 'seconds'. A phone call should straighten that out.
Mark,<br /><br />Well, I talked to two different people at BPS...unfortunately both of them apparently came from the shallow end of the gene pool. These guys had a hard time understanding that I wanted to see if the BPS part number crossed over to the Tempo number, much less doing it. I was talking to the local people, because I want to order it local and pick it up to avoid shipping. Maybe if I call the online people and ask them I might have better luck. Unfortunately, the chances of getting in touch with someone who can walk over and look at a tag are slim and none. I am pretty sure it is the same tank...exact same dimensions and both made by Tempo...heck, for all I know it is a pricing error and I should keep my mouth shut. ;) <br /><br />Funny, when I spell checked this last post it didn't like 'online'...then I looked up at the top of my Screen and I see 'America Online', so I knew I spelled it right...but then I have to wonder why it is AOL instead of just AO....<br /><br />Another $0.02 worth,<br />Joe

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Whenever you get it worked out--<br /><br />Go with the plastic tank. Just don't foam it in solid. It needs a bit of room to 'breath'.<br /><br />I really like my plastic tanks, and won't go back to metal ones. They won't corrode, and it may be my imagination, but I think they make less condensate.<br /><br />I bought a new 26 gal. one for the hydro. But decided to put it in the 21' Al. cruiser, and pulled the late 80's issue plastic 16-18gal. plastic one out, and use it in the hydro instead.<br /><br />I got it from a buddy who had it in a boat that came off it's trailer on the hi-way and shattered about 10 years ago.<br /><br />It's still as flexible and crack free as the new one, so I put it in the new boat, and never looked back.

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Winger Ed.:<br /> Go with the plastic tank. . . . I really like my plastic tanks, and won't go back to metal ones. They won't corrode . . . . I bought a new 26 gal. one for the hydro. But decided to put it in the 21' Al. cruiser, and pulled the late 80's issue plastic 16-18gal. plastic one out, and use it in the hydro instead. . . . It's still as flexible and crack free as the new one, so I put it in the new boat, and never looked back.
Thanks for the reply Winger,<br /><br /> I personally have never seen a plastic tank rust, which is the main reason I plan on using one. And since my boat is already almost 30 years old, I figure if a tank lasts 20 years, then that should be enough. ;) <br /><br /> Hey, BTW, do you use plastics for your ballast and emergency blow tanks as well? ;) ;) Sorry winger, couldn't resist. ;) <br /><br />Another $0.02 worth,<br />Joe

RomanRegal

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, I was wondering what brand of tank you wetn with. Thanks Roman

Winger Ed.

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Joe Glastron T186:<br />
Hey, BTW, do you use plastics for your ballast and emergency blow tanks as well? ;)
Yeah, yeah. There's another submariner that hammers on me pretty good, so I'm used to it.<br /><br />Remember how everybody always watched for mail call around this time of year? All them 'care packages' that came in about this time.<br /><br />I've been thinking about mailing both you guys a wet cat here in a couple weeks.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Go plastic, Overtons.com had the best variety and prices in my opinion. Good luck...

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

There's nothing wrong with submariners. It is the only part of the navy where shower comraderie is something that is not only expected, but anticipated, and even sought after.

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> Go plastic, Overtons.com had the best variety and prices in my opinion. Good luck...
JasnJ,<br /> Thanks for the tip, I checked them out. Their prices are pretty good...and they do have the 20 something gallon tank that would also fit. Plus, I might be able to order enough stuff so that the shipping maxes out at $19.99. Between gas savings and no tax I might be better off buying from them.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Joe

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by swimmin' for shore:<br /> There's nothing wrong with submariners. It is the only part of the navy where shower comraderie is something that is not only expected, but anticipated, and even sought after.
Swimmin',<br /> <br /> Well, I guess if I was riding around in the middle of the ocean on a big old TARGET, then I might get a little jealous of the submariners too. ;) <br /> <br />Just my $0.02 worth,<br />Joe

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Winger Ed.:<br />
Originally posted by Joe Glastron T186:<br />
Hey, BTW, do you use plastics for your ballast and emergency blow tanks as well? ;)
. . . . I've been thinking about mailing both you guys a wet cat here in a couple weeks.
Winger,<br /> <br /> Now, you know we wouldn't pick on you if we didn't like you. ;) <br /> <br />Later,<br />Joe

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, yeah. Make all of the target jokes you want, but how else could I be floating across the big wide pacific, and still enjoying so much wonderful company. Besides that, there's something that isn't right about tons upon tons of steel that's designed to sink while fully manned.

lawyertob

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by swimmin' for shore:<br /> Yeah, yeah. Make all of the target jokes you want . . . . Besides that, there's something that isn't right about tons upon tons of steel that's designed to sink while fully manned.
Swimmin',<br /><br /> Ah, but therein lies the inherent superiority of the Submarine. The submarine sinks and comes back up, and sinks and comes back up, and so on, and so on...<br /> <br /> A target on the other hand sinks but once. Besides which, they can track targets with simple weather satellites....but they gotta WORK to even find a sub before they can even try to sink her :) <br /><br /> Now, before anyone slaps my hands for jinxing Swimmin', you have to understand that this is an obligatory argument that all submariners and surface pukes are required to have (just as I am required to call him a surface puke, even though I like him ;) )...we have both gone through the whole thing a thousand times probably.<br /><br /> That being said, we probably ought to get back on topic before JB comes around and knocks heads. :eek: <br /><br />Just 0.02 worth of off topic currency,<br />Joe

swimmin' for shore

Chief Petty Officer

[we have both gone through the whole thing a thousand times probably.]<br /><br /><br />Indeed we have. Joe, thank you for the diversion. Now, I need to sleep so I can get up and spend tomorrow night hunting the native females of a far-away land before going back to sea to hunt the submariners of country orange. If you need me, I guess you'll have to get yourself a weather sattelite and look me up. :)