Boat Restore

SeaRay1

Cadet
Hi, I am new to this site. I recently acquired a 1973 Sea Ray Sport Bridge. It's on a COX Super Loader trailer. I hope to start restoring this vessel soon. Does anybody have any tips and knowledge about this particular boat and trailer? I know this is a big project and that it will take alot of time and money. Where do I start?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boat Restore

Welcome to iboats SeaRay1. I really think that your question is a too broad to garner any responsible answers. My recommendation is to use your boat and trailer and keep reading the posts on this forum. As you become more familiar with your boat, specific questions will form in your mind and you can post them here. Also by reading others posts, they may give you ideas as to what to be aware of for your boat.

SeaRay1

Cadet

That would be a good start. However, the boat last saw water about 12 years ago. What had happened was that my wife sold a house to a couple and the previous owner of the property refused to move the boat. She said it was their problem and they had to take care of it. My wife offered to take care of it for the new owners of the house, mentioned the boat to me and now I sort of own this huge boat(I'm still working on getting the paperwork for it because the original owner is deceased, the boat was originally owned by the original homeowner's brother). It desperately needs to be cleaned out. Seat cushions need to be replaced and the engines need to be worked on. And I think the floor needs to be replaced. The only good thing is that the lower units of the sterndrives were taken off before the guy passed on. Also the trailer looks like it needs to be re-wired and new surge brakes need to be installed on it as well. This boat is bad need of restoration. I just need to know where I should start in that process.

Buttanic

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First- remove everything that is bolted or screwed on.<br />Second- check and fix and refinish everything.<br />Third- bolt and screw everything back on.<br />Simple, yea right! But seriously that in a nut shell is what a complete restoration is all about. I am about to start on a Chris Craft in about the same condition you described your boat is in.<br /><br />Buttanic

SeaRay1

Cadet

Thanx for the simple breakdown. I'm sure it won't be that easy! Chris Craft is a nice boat. I wish I had one!!!

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

First thing to do is take a close look at everything, is the floor rotten, stringers, transom? Are major parts missing, are the engines rusted up needing tear down? Make a list and estimate cost of each thing you see that you would want fixed, add it up, when you recover make up your mind to keep it or dump it.

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well first thing that comes to mind after sitting there that long is,is it still water worthy.Can you put it in the water to see if there any leakage problems?Personaly if your not in a real big hurry,and you have limited funds at a time,and you want it done right,GUT right down to the hull and start from scratch.You'll be amazed how much you will find that needs replacing or repair work done after sitting this long.It almost has to be a labor of love or don't even start trying.Doing the same myself and slowly but surely it's happening.PATINCE.Thats what it's all about.Satisfaction comes with time.

SeaRay1

Cadet

That is what I thought about doing. A lot of the work looks cosmetic but I think there might be more. From the outside, the hull doesn't look too bad, maybe a new coat of paint will do the trick. When I look inside, it's another story. The floor's covered with leaves. So that will be my first step, clean it out and go from there. I think it's going to be a fun project, a little costly, but fun nonetheless. I will definitely post pics as I go along. And when I am finally finished with it, you guys can tell me how I did.

Catchem

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's all in the "Attitude" before you start Searay1 and it sounds like you got the right one.Go for it.Looking forward to your pics.

SeaRay1

Cadet

Sorry for the delay in posting. I have been busy with work and other sorts of things. Anyway, the weekend of July 24th is when I will officially start working on my boat. It may be a little late but better late than never, I always say. Still working on getting the paperwork for it though. Hope to have some pics up by that time.