Fiberglass quanity for floor replacement

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was just wondering how much resin and cloth you guys have used on your projects. I haven't even finished the stringers or started putting the floor in and I've used 8 gal resin and about 18 yards of different kinds of mat and cloth. Its begining to look like I might end up using close to 20 gallons by the time I finish the floor. It is a 19 footer and I did the transom already.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fiberglass quanity for floor replacement

CTD...When I use woven glass I use a 1:1 ratio of resin to cloth by weight for a strong layup. I just glassed the outer hull and splashwell of a 16' plywood fishing boat with little over 1 gallon of resin. I don't know how you can get 20 gallons of resin in a 19' boai but it sounds like a lot...that's 160# of resin...just a Thought

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I used 11 gallons of poly resin and a bit over 30 yards of mat/cloth/roving on my 16.5 foot transom/floor/stringer fest.<br /><br />Thought, you end up using more because you lay multiple layers on stringers and transom, and around joints (at least I did).

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

Man, mine must be overkill. :D I'll have about 20 gallons of resin, 125 yards of 6" biaxial tape, 10 yards of cloth and 20 yards of mat it looks like in a 19footer. Take into consideration that in some areas there's 7 layers. That's stringers, deck, transom, and all the seating structure tho<br /><br />-Roger

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I need to set the record strate...I buy resin by the pound from bulk and upon closer inspection of the records I really used about 20 lbs. About 1/3 used with filler for the fairing operation. For the final fairing I used 5 lbs of thickened gelcoat...so I actually have about 25# of resin-a lot of sanding dust and hardened bits'o'resin that didn't get used.<br />If you set those hardened bits'o'resin on a tee and wack'em with a 1 iron it's like a shotgun with a wide open choke...just a Thought

LubeDude

Admiral

Just for fun:<br /><br />One time when I worked for a Corvette rebuilding outfit in San Francisco, Just before lunch break I took an empty Soda can and mixed 50-50, mix of hardener and resin and shook it up untill I felt it getting warm. I set it in the middle of the floor and went into the lunch room. In about 10 minutes we heard a whistle and went out to investigate, the can was spewing smoke and when it was done there was no paint left on the can and only crystals left in the can. <br /><br />Things we do to intertain ourselves at others expence.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Lubedude...I've started many a fire in the parking lot getting rid of old resin&hardener...I always assumed it was the "scientist" in me<br />...just a Thought