Did a quicky website for the Skank

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
I found an okay freebie web hosting site and whipped up a website. I have all my progress from day one to the present. I will add other stuff and fine tune it but it is up for now. It took about 8 hours to do it, but at least it solves the darm picture thing. Link is at the bottom of my posts. Cheers....

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Did a quicky website for the Skank

hey JJ, is the casting deck permanent or can you<br />remove it when u need bow seating?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

It is bolted in, and theoretically could be removed, but it would be a pain. I see no reason why I'll need to do that, I don't take anyone else out except the better half and the occasional fishing partner. The better half had actually asked last year if there was a way to make the whole front flat to make laying out on easier. Thats like giving a pyro a gallon of gas and a match. :D

one more cast

Captain

JasonJ , You did a great job on your websight. It really sheds some light on the amount of time and work you put into project Skanky Beast. Now if we can get Flahthead to do this kind of documentation on his '37 ULH.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Yeah that would be cool. I am always looking around the internet for projects. It doesn't take much to make me happy, I would read a site dedicated to restoring/modifying a gas leafblower :D :D ....

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

Excellent website!!! The final results definately look to be worth all that effort. That website, along with your many posts could be valuable resources to others undertaking a project boat for the first time.<br /><br />Moderators: Does this forum have the capabilities for creating "sticky" posts, which stay at the top of each forum. I think a "sticky" thread where members could post links to their project restoration website, such as JasonJ's, could be valuable.

bubbakat

Captain

Jason I like that casting deck and good job on the web site to

bbach

Seaman Apprentice

Very intersting web site. Very nice job on the boat. I'm wondering if you have any worry about water from the leak soaking into the foam? <br /><br />Oh, never mind, I just read that you didn't fill the center chamber. I assume the bulkhead near the bilge is not solid.<br /><br />-- Bud

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Chicago, the nature and placement of the leak didn't expose any foam to the water. Plus, the new foams require a considerable amount of continuous exposure to water before saturation begins.<br /><br />bh, I was actually inspired by a member called Civilengineer (or something like that) and his homemade center console boat, I just figure if I can share my project like he shared his, then the inspiration can continue. I don't think a sticky post is required, I am always posting here. Thanx for the thought though...<br /><br />I added more junk to the website just for giggles. Thanks for looking...

johnnybigrigger

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jason, you should be proud...she looks great. The average person would never understand the feeling we as DIYers get when one of our projects turns out this nice.

Rick K

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jason, VERY nice job. I imagine a lot of folks questioned your sanity, as they have mine. I have a goofy little Starcraft Runabout that I'm totally rebuilding. Most just ask why I don't go out and just buy one, they're all over pretty cheap. Answer is, I don't know why. We just do these crazy things I guess.<br /><br />Rick K

JasonJ,<br />Simply outstanding! You should be very proud of your work. I think I can shed a little light on why we rebuild the things that we do…any person can go out and throw down some money for a boat, car, etc. and be married to a payment book for eternity. However, after you’ve inhaled resin dust and scraped your knuckles a few dozen times, doesn’t it feel good when you pull up to the dock and people start asking you what year the boat is, “How old is that motor”, and “does it run?”<br />Congratulations again!

bh357

Chief Petty Officer

SpeedifourButch, excellent insight on restoration of old boats, etc... Everything I've seen seems to point to the fact that boat restoration (especially fiberglass) is still a growing hobby, as opposed to classic autos, which is more mature. The styling on some of the old (especially '50s) fiberglass can't be beat. I wonder how long before the boat builders start incorporating some of the early design themes into modern boats. It's been happening a lot in the auto industry (PT Cruiser, Chevy SSR, new Ford T-Bird).<br />I haven't yet had the joy of operating my rebuilt boat, but early next summer I'll be in the water. One thing for certain is that I'll have a sense of pride in the fact that I rebuilt the boat that I am using.<br />Thanks to everyone who has posted about their restorations. It has served both as good technical information and an inspiration to me for my project.

phatmanmike

Captain

that projsect you undertook was amazing. your sanity had to have been questioned a few times during that ... you're definetly not lazy, and it shows! good job, youpracticly made the whole thing yourelf!

ndemge

Commander

got through page 2 and now the site is down...<br /><br />It's like someone turned off the tv before that final game wining touch down... NOOO!!!!!!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

ndemge, its working fine now, who knows what happened. I still have plenty of bandwidth left. Must have been a server issue or something.<br /><br />Thanx for the compiments, it is basically a display of what you can do on a small budget.