Ideas for floor covering

JasonJ

Rear Admiral
I have been going back and forth between using marine carpet or something in the non-skid paint variety. I would like to lean towards the non-skid paint direction, as this will be a center console, it will be fished, and I would like to skip that carpet-holds-water-in-rainstorm thing. I have looked at a few additives, and it seems a bit spendy. Is there any backyard non-skid additives to paint, like sawdust or whatever? It also seems like if I could get small chipped bits of rubber or something of that nature to give paint some "nubbles" for traction, that would be a good thing. Any suggestions?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Ideas for floor covering

I painted my floor with a thin epoxy resin,+ covered it with Blast Sand... After cured, vacuumed up the "Unstuck" sand,+ Painted with Rustolium Light Gray.....<br /><br />Seems you'd Proabably get the same results with your poly resin.... the paint helps with both the UV,+ the Texture....

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

JasonJ, this is my recepie for " Snapperbait's Ultra, Killer, Bad-a$$ Backyard Non Skid Stuff"...<br /><br /> I've had good luck so far with Gelcoat applied with a foam texture roller right over bare fiberglass... It leaves a light non-skid surface that can be painted or left alone, but gelcoat that is not painted or not used with an additive like dura-tech will stain very easily...<br /><br />I did the entire inside (floor, sides,ect.) of my on-going 21' openfisherman project with two coats of gelcoat...<br /><br />You can also thicken the gelcoat with cabosil to create a rougher texture if you wish...<br /><br />Foam Pro brand (color of the roller is blue) from Home Depot is the roller I used for the gelcoat... The roller tends to fall apart after a few minutes in the gelcoat, so you'll need a few of them... I use a 4 inch roller frame and cut the 9inch roller cover in half so I get two out of one... When the gelcoat was cured I painted it...<br /><br />After the gelcoat set up, I coated the surface with Poly viynal alcohol (PVA) and let it sit for a day to totaly cure the gelcoat, then washed the PVA off with the hose... You could use a surfacing wax additive, but if you plan to paint the surface, it could be difficult to get paint to stick well due to the wax..<br /><br />If you want to experiment you could get an El-cheapo pint of gelcoat (leftover Resin might work too) and the roller for about $15 to see what the results will be on a test surface to see if you'll like it...<br /><br />Liquid truck bed liner is also good, though like you say "a bit spendy" ($100 a gallon), but it does'nt stain or mildew easily if at all..<br /><br />Just say NO to carpet... :D

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I have thought about the truck bed liner. I had used it to coat the entire floor and bed of an IH Scout I rebuilt a few years back, and used the leftover for some non-skid surfaces on the boat I had then, and it worked well. I can't remember the name, but it had some serious nubbles in it, and it stunk to high heaven. It wasn't Durabak, it was better. I'm not too averse to spending cash, I am more interested in not having something that will hold water (carpet).

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Here in Tejas, we can get the DIY Herculiner kits at W and K marts (no endorsement intended)for less than $80, and I think they're paintable. I would add some ground up rubber fines for addd traction. The bottom/floor of my old Ebbtide cruiser (looked kinda like the SBeast before you cut her up) is a light green with white speckles. Really easy on the eyes and feet on really hot days.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

HERCULINER, thats what I was trying to remember that I used on the Scout. Its too bad it doesn't come in anything else but black, but maybe paint can stick to it.

dmessy

Chief Petty Officer

The new 12'x12' snap together poly vinal flooring looks and works great. A little pricey at $25 for 6 square feet but it will last a lifetime and can be picked up for cleaning. You can buy them at ********"(sorry cann't mention any other businesses but Iboats ;)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I was cruising my town trying to find a place that sells the laminating rollers I need, and came across some Evercoat rubberized non-skid stuff that is painted on at my local marine shop. It looks a bit like the bedliner stuff but not as rough. It is meant for boat floors or whatever else you want a non-skid surface on. $40 for a gallon, that will take care of everything, and will be a good sealant as well. Thanx for all the replies.<br /><br />No one had any glassing tools, but they could order then for me for $29 apiece. Right. I can order from US composites or whoever else fron the internet for much less money.

BillP

Captain

I broadcast coarse (like blasting sand)sand over wet paint to get nonskid. The stuff you stir in with the paint is hard to keep suspended and is smoother.<br /><br />If you are doing gelcoat, why don't you pigment the resin and never have to paint again? This too could have sand in it.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

This is ridiculous..<br /><br />If iboats doesn't sell something, it should be find to mention someone that does...<br /><br />I am sure they would not object to that...<br /><br />dmessy.. where did you get that flooring stuff.??<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Franki

mellocj

Seaman

I used Herculiner on the front of my boat to add some texture where there were uneven surfaces. It is $80 at kmart... Definately put a cheap top coat over it, paint will stick to it and Herculiner will fade from the sun.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Mellocj, I had use Herculiner on a previous boat for the upper deck in from of the windshield and for some stepping points at the back,and it worked fine. The stuff I bought this time will be easier on the bare feet, for those times when I am doing other things beside fishin'. The better half has tender feets, and the excessively nubbly stuff can make things miserable.