Gelcoat

lmc1601

Cadet
I am building a 18' boat and was wondering if i should put gelcoat on it. I am unsure of how to do that. <br /><br />Help!!!

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Gelcoat

Hi lmc 1601: Gelcoat is some trickey stuff... If you're using epoxy resin in the construction of your boat then gelcoat is not an option as gelcoat which is polyester based will not stick to epoxy... <br /><br />If you could give us some more information about your boat like, are you planing to use gelcoat as a finish on the exterior of the hull or do you want to paint gelcoat on the interior or bilge area ect. ;)

lmc1601

Cadet

actually, i would like to coat the outside hull with gelcoat to give it a professional look.

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hi IMC, gelcoat is pretty hard to work with, Ive done it for many years. Most professionals dont get that professional appearence. Id suggest imron, its easier to work with and is just about as hard. Whatever you decide, good luck and hope it turns out great.

Bondo

Staff member

gelcoat is meant to be sprayed into a mold for a new boat, then the rest of the glass/resin is added.... it Doesn't Cure very well when exposed to air....<br />Paint is a much better option......<br />i think Imrom is the best, BUT it's also the Most Toxic... it'll kill you with just 1 mistake...<br />Any 1st rate enamal will do quite nicely... automotive Urethane enamal is even better....<br />Just remember.... surface preperation is the key to a good finish....