What if any advantage do 2 cycle outboards have over 4 cycles

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Chris, that's a great synopsis. The electronic complexity of either type far outweighs the mechanical differences between the two. One can no longer tout the quietness of a 4-stroke, or the weight advantage/simplicity of a 2-stroke as compelling reasons to choose one over the other. Those differences are now negligible. All the mechanicals these days are good and robust if cared for. It comes down to whose electronics will stand up best over time, because that's where the cost of a repair is most likely to bite you.

If I were buying a new outboard motor, I'd be far more likely to choose on reputation and price, than on whether it's a 2- or 4-stroke.

My .02

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Would say that 4 strokes OB motors have more to do with 4 strokes motorcycles motors than with cars.

Happy Boating

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Would say that 4 strokes OB motors have more to do with 4 strokes motorcycles motors than with cars.

Happy Boating

Honda?s 90 hp motor use the base motor the Honda Fit. The 115 hp outboard from the Accord and the 225 hp from the Odyssey.

Seven Marine outboard is a GM LSA V8 motor

82rude

Rear Admiral
To be totally fair http://www.allatsea.net/outboard-eng...troke-engines/ which ever tech you choose it looks like a good time for both and will only get better for both.I made a personal choice to buy evinrude but I wouldn't of been complaining if I had of went with the merc 60 4 stroke or the Yamaha f70 either.The dealer gave me a deal I couldn't pass up on the etec.

Last edited:

Hpracer

Cadet
One other consideration is resale value if you intend to sell or trade up in the near future. No one seems to want a 2 cycle in spite of the fact that they are now quiet, smoke-free, have more torque, and are easy to winterize. You will definitely be limiting your list of potential buyers with a 2 stroke.

82rude

Rear Admiral
In my case, me and the etec will be buried together! I bought it with the intent that it will be the last motor I ever buy.I cant even count the people that around here have asked me about the motor and asked where they could look at one .I bought mine out of country as until recently we did not have an etec dealer so they were fairly rare.Now we have 2 dealers close by and just up north of me the portable or small to mid sized etec,s are selling very well.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
One other consideration is resale value if you intend to sell or trade up in the near future. No one seems to want a 2 cycle in spite of the fact that they are now quiet, smoke-free, have more torque, and are easy to winterize. You will definitely be limiting your list of potential buyers with a 2 stroke.
That was the case with me. I did not want a 2 stroke.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Anybody remember the 2 stroke car they built in the 50's ?? You had to put oil in the gas before you put the gas in at the station. I think it was German made.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The first Saabs from Sweden were 2 cylinder 2 strokes. Later they had 3 cylinder 2 strokes.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I believe the east german trabant was a 2 stroke.Universally accepted as the worst car ever made.
58008841-zagreb-croatia--june-4-2016--a-oldtimer-car-trabant-exhibited-at-fast-and-furious-street-race-in-zag.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I thought the worst car ever built was the Lexus SC430

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the memory jogger GA_Boater. I forgot about Saab. Yeah I know, tell me a "Saab Story". LOL

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Is there any reason to get a 2 cycle outboard these days. My understanding is that high internal pressure (from compression) is what is necessary to get performance out of an internal combustion engine. In the past anyway, 4 stokes had an advantage in compression. I also notice law enforcement using 4 cycle engines on their craft, as opposed to 2 cycle. I think 4 stoke is also more fuel efficient. 2 cycle used to give more horsepower, in a small package. But, I'm not sure that is true any more.

Most of this is inaccurate, if you?re talking current models the weight and power are close, with 4 strokes being far more common. New I?d be going 4 stroke, there are far more models to choose from.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Is there any reason to get a 2 cycle outboard these days.

Howdy Doug,

Welcome aboard!

Well, you've gotten a lot of responses but you didn't say if you wanted comparisons between brand new (CARB compliant) big HP 2 and 4 strokes or small carbureted 2-strokes and similarly sized 4-strokes.

Everyone pretty much gave the "old" narrative. which used to be true.

Nowadays, the EFI 2-strokes meet CARB requirments and can be used anywhere. BRP claims the Evinrude ETEC will use "less" oil than a similarly sized 4-stroke engine (when you consider 4-stroke oil is "used" when you burn it and change it!!)

If you consider the small Evinrudes, 15hp or less, they're 4-strokes. (Manufacturers will be eventually discontinuing 2-stroke small carbureted engines in the US and more areas are banning NON-EPA carbureted 2-strokes.............. It doesn't appear that Evinrude, Johnson or Mercury sells carbureted 2-strokes in the US anymore))

The Evinrude 4-stroke 9.8 weighs the same (81.5lbs) as my Tohatsu 9.8 (in fact the Evinrude looks suspiciously like a Nissan/Tohatsu engine!!.....wonder why.......)
The Mercury's look like Tohatsu/Nissan engines...... (because they are!)

The 15hp 4-stroke Evinrude weighs the same as a 15hp Tohatsu.....(looks the same too.....hmmmmm)

The 15hp ETEC weighs about 180lbs. You're not going to lug that thing down the hill! (it's 60lbs heavier than a 15hp 4-stroke Evinrude/Mercury/Tohatsu and almost 100lbs heavier than a 15hp 2-stroke Mercury)

So, you might be a tad more specific. Are you asking if you should choose a small used 2-stroke?

I asked that question when I wanted a new engine for my 10' Zodiac Zoom inflatable. I had a 1977 2-stroke 6hp Evinrude "Fisherman" that pushed it pretty well, was very light and fuel efficient.

Mixing gas and oil was a pain, and I had to throw away what I didn't use after Summer, and I was worried that the lakes I use it in would eventually ban it, so I sold it for about $300! pretty good price.

I bought a new 9.8 Tohatsu 4-stroke. It's about 30lbs heavier, pushes that little Zodiac really well, uses even less fuel than the 6hp 2-stroke did and I just pour the left over fuel in the car!

If I was going to get an engine for a larger boat (25+ HP), I would get an Evinrude ETEC.

For a 15hp boat, I don't think I would get the Evinrude ETEC. But I would have to try one first I guess..but for the higher HP engines, It would be the ETEC hands down!

Cheers,

Rick

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
I like 2 strokes because it upsets the "greenies " on my Lake. Especially when I fire up one of the 2.5L's or my "Texas hot" 2.0L and run them. I use double oil in those.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Jake, not helpful or relevant to the OPs question.

Please dont introduce controversy simply aiming to provoke.

I boat to enjoy boating and being on the water, I dont need or want to impede others doing the same, however they choose to do it.

Double oil? Not what I'd call being the adult in charge of a boat.....

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Mod EDIT: Send a PM and see my comments above to Jake. Not helpful to the OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My thoughts are that 2 strokes are better in the portable outboard area. The amount of oil mixed gas is slight. You can store or transport them however they lay, 4 strokes have to be laid on one side only. 2 strokes weigh less, as already stated in this thread. If I had a larger boat I would not worry too much about any advantage a 2 stroke would have, I would go for a 4 stroke. My 2 HP Johnson (1978) suits me fine for the inflatable, as the model did for the square stern canoe that on which used to mount an '82 version.

If they sold a similar 2 stroke today I would opt for it rather than a 4 stroke. I am to old to carry a 40 lb+motor from lake to lake. I wish I could get one that is not several years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.