Mercruiser Electric power steering pump

pike hunter

Seaman
Anybody have seen or try this: <br />A bit of infos on the electric Mercury power steering:<br />"Mercury's system which is still available, is electrically powered so the pump can be remotely mounted, making it adaptable to a wider range of <br />engines. Pump use power only when the wheel is being turned, and use nitrogen to develop hydraulic pressure. Mercury applies hydraulic <br />pressure at the steering ram at the engine and it can be single or dual push-pull cable to the engine". <br />I am interested in this because I want to use my Raymarine auto-pilot when trolling with my kicker.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mercruiser Electric power steering pump

Great. Now we are supposed to carry a quart of PS fluid and a high pressure bottle of Nitrogen to top it off??? Yea, sure. Tow Boat USA loves technology.

Bondo

Staff member

I Think you'll have better luck up in the Mercury Outboards Forum,.........<br /><br />I Really Doubt this is an I/O P/S system.........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like the steering system for the new Mercury Verado outboard. I haven't heard anything about electic PS pumps on any of the I/O's.<br />Do you have any links to the information you have been reading?

pike hunter

Seaman

I read that in Bass & Walleye Boats in a old edition and they were referring as outboard and I/O also.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I'm afraid you are going to have to come up with more info than "Old edition" of some boat mag. No one seems to have heard of it, and I have worked in Mercruiser dealerships for many years and have never heard anything about it.