i cant get my out drive yoke &shaft back in

rjohson

Cadet
i have a 84 alpha 1 out drive, i just put on a new oil seal but i cant get the drive shaft back in far enough to screw the retainer nut back on to the out drive. the gears appear to be meshing together, is there some trick to this?

rjohson

Cadet
Re: i cant get my out drive yoke &shaft back in

does any one know how i can find if some one has responded to my post?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

First you gotta put it in the right place, Al.<br /><br />I will move this to I/O troubles.

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Al, What? new oil seal did you just put in???<br />just one? did you completely dissassemble the input shaft?...sl

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what part of the drive and what seal was replaced and which service manual are you using ?

rjohson

Cadet

it was the oil seal on the shaft just before the retaing screw, i brought a manual only to find theat it doesnt show much on the out drive. i brought the wrong manual, but today i noticed that there is a spring load on the top gear on the out drive maybe if i press down on the spring loaded gear and bearing at the top, i could slide the yoke set up in further to get the retainer screw to catch.

rjohson

Cadet

i just disassembled the drive shaft i also need to know what torque lb. spec should i put on the drive shaft nut?