Document Shredding - Identity theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I shred everything in my home from the mail. Prior to tossing away a flyer I even shred the mailing label. I just got done paying bills and shredded the un-needed portions.<br /><br />I have to admit.... I have even shredded "special offers" from unsolicited credit cards and mailed the shredded offer back in the "no postage needed" envelope! ;)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral
Re: Document Shredding - Identity theft

I shred also. I never thought to mail the shredded parts back! Ingenious!

dolluper

Captain

Having a business I just got in the habit of shredding doc's,now the government knows nothing of me :D :D :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ya know, I am throwing away that stuff for the trash man to pick up. :eek: <br /><br />I used to burn all my trash, but the drought and burn ban has forced me to use the trash pickup.<br /><br />I think I will save it and burn it when the rain comes back. There is too little to justify a shredder in my mind.

rwise

Captain

if someone steels my identity, they would pay me to take it back! :D

dolluper

Captain

That's funny JB "a shredder in my mind" ,I have days like that too :D :D

Kwas

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been mailing that junk back to the sender in those prepaid envelopes for years. I didn't ask for it so they can pay to get it back. :D

Kalian

Chief Petty Officer

I have been shredding for a few years. I have heard about mailling the shreddings back before but never bothered. Maybe I'll start now. If every one did it maybe they'd stop sending us all that crap.

briannh1234

Petty Officer 1st Class

I shred. Just to add insult to anyone who would go through my shreddings - I empty the cat box on top of the shreds when I put them in the trash.<br /><br />If I had a woodstove I would burn it all for heat.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Doesn't anyone recycle around here?

bubbakat

Captain

You are doing the right thing by shredding everything I do and have for years.<br /><br />I also take one companies shredded mail and send it to another.<br />That way they pay postage on competitions mail. :D

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Robberfrog burning is recycling. It is the trash to energy concept! It produces heat.<br /><br />Bubbakat I like your idea too!

heycods

Captain

I burn mine also thier is no trash pickup here in the country, and they fine you if your caught hauling it to town and putting it in the dumpster.<br /> As dry as it is I save it until a damp day like today and burn with a grate of 1/2" expanded metal over the barrel with a barrel lid half covering the top of the barrel to smother it a little, I also wet the ground around the burn barrel.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

I also shred almost everything and use the confetti for packing ebay items. Suggestion, if you buy a shredder gat a confetti type, the strip types aren't that hard to re-assemble if you try. Years ago a bank custodian put a box of checks in a strip shredder, about $60,000 worth. The bank hired a bunch of college kids and re-assembled almost all the checks, they lost about $6,000 that couldn't be assembled.

treedancer

Commander

I shred in the summer .In the winter when the fireplace is going I burn.

brother chris

Commander

JB: you can get a shredder for $20.00 now. <br />It will shred up to 5 pieces at once. <br />Save the shredded up paper and burn it in your wood stove...providing you have one, that is.<br /><br /><br />I usually shred my paper, then add water to the bag and put it out to the road, for pick-up.

Tyme2fish

Commander

I've been mailing back shreddings and even the envelope they mailed me the junk in back to the company that sent it.<br />However, my junk mail is way down now as I called and got my name off a lot a mail listings.

eeboater

Commander

As a mortgage company, we go through TONS of paper. So, we shred every single iddly biddly piece of paper... then its recycled!

Status
Not open for further replies.