Transom Modification - Worth doing?

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I am posting this for a friend. He is in the middle of restoring a 1977 cheetah ski boat. He is throwing around the idea of taking 3 inches off the height of the transom and building a swim platform for skiers and wake-boarders to get in and out of the water. He is wanting some thoughts on this idea, worth doing or not? Reasons why or why not? Click the picture below to watch the video explaining his idea.

I am just posting this for him, I have already shared my thoughts with him, but he wants to know what you think.

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Transom Modification - Worth doing?

IMHO it would depend on the cavitation plate on the engine in relation to the keel on the boat. I would not drop it three inches if it is going to drop the engine too far in the water. If the current setup is correct three inches would make a drastic difference in the boat. Speed,may cause water to come over the transom,fuel mileage,etc....If he is just considering taking the notch out and lowering the sides of the transom that would take strength away from the transom and could make it unsafe. It might be ok but personally I would find another option.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

looks like a pretty short transom height already. If he cut the entire transom down he could put on a jack plate but that will make the back end sit even a bit lower and I'd be very afraid of water coming over the back. Does he want to build the platform outside the boat or put a flat platform across the back of the inside? That seems to be roughly the same transom shape as my Sylvan. I just removed the splashwell and added a deck across the back and it made skiing and tubing a lot easier, with a swim ladder it would be a piece of cake getting in and out. I have to watch waves a bit more but I have no fear of sinking, and that's worth a lot.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Sorry, just found the video. I wouldn't do that unless I had several LARGE bilge pumps, had insurance, and stayed close to shore. Trimming the sides down a bit I could see as long as it was reinforced. If you get a big guy or two in back with some waves or boat wake, she will get wet. The jack plate will make the back sit even a bit lower also. Once water starts coming in, it will come in fast! A swim platform hanging off the back with that splash pan and a flat deck inside across the whole width of the inside makes much more sense to me.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry, just found the video. I wouldn't do that unless I had several LARGE bilge pumps, had insurance, and stayed close to shore. Trimming the sides down a bit I could see as long as it was reinforced. If you get a big guy or two in back with some waves or boat wake, she will get wet. The jack plate will make the back sit even a bit lower also. Once water starts coming in, it will come in fast! A swim platform hanging off the back with that splash pan and a flat deck inside across the whole width of the inside makes much more sense to me.

Those were my thoughts as well, I don't see it necessary to lower the height of the transom. He could still build the internal swim platform/splash well, and getting in and out of the boat would be easy.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You could do it by making the splashwell flat all the way across the back of the boat. Kind of like my Sea Ray. The picture below is the best I have of the back of my boat right now but will give you the idea. Personally though, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

Attachments

• splashwell.JPG
    splashwell.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 0

oops!

Supreme Mariner

im sorry....i must be missing something

why does he want to lower his transom to add a swim grid????:confused:

if he starts lowering the engine height....he is opening himself to a ton of problems.

since he is running an outboard.....the only way he is going to get a true platform is to fabricate one that goes around the drive and will still allow the engine to lift (trailer). this has nothing to do with the transom height.

he can easily make a small platform that is on one side of the motor with retractable steps that will give him everything he wants without touching the transom height.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I think it will sink or at the least be very very unsafe.

Bad idea trying to change a go fast hull into something with a swim platform.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You can't lower the motor, but the sides of the transom can be cut down to where the motor mounts. This is exactly what Sea Ray did on my boat. They made a flat platform and basically put a higher wall forward of that. Look at the picture in my previous post. It could be done so that the boat wouldn't be any more prrone to sink than with a standard splashwell. No doubt about it, but would be a lot of work. Not really worth it in my opinion.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the comments guys.

I know that the actual height of the motor would not be lowered because of the jacker-plate. But the lower transom would be more prone to water coming over and into the boat.

I know he got the boat for free, and is kinda looking at it as a learning project.

Like i said, I have shared my thoughts with him already, and I will show him all yours as well.

Thanks for the comments.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Hopefully this picture works, I added this back deck to mine. Have had no problems with water even when backtrolling, and like I said, even without an outer swim platform or ladder it really makes it pretty easy to get in. I actually added height to the side of the transom to make it look more like the one on your friends boat, so I wouldn't see cutting any off as being needed.

Attachments

• casting deck.jpg
    casting deck.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 0

Drewb082001

Seaman Apprentice

haha thanks guys for some of the advice. I have thought all of that threw over and over, hence why i haven't cut the transom yet just the splash well out. My intentions are to keep the motor the same height, i have an adjustable jacker plate to where the motor can stay at the same height so im not lowering the motor position. yes im cutting the transom a lil shorter but im not taking off any major support from it because im making that secondary transom which is going to be the same height of the original transom. so there isnt going to be any water flowing over into the boat. and its going to be solid so there is actually going to be more support in the rear of the boat anyways.

And i know what your all talking about by shortening the transom. i had another boat earlier a Sidewinder that someone cut the transom to fit a short shaft motor. and water poored into the boat like none other, but i fixed it by making a smaller splash well. and since i had that boat, ive thought this one out pretty well. i think. im going to continue on with this. with your opinions on mind.

again it was a free boat, and its an experiment so who knows how it will turn out. my loss my loss, who knows it could be a hella cool boat after you never know.

matt88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My first boat was a little 11ft dory(imitation boston whaler) and it was a bit waterlogged and road a little low in the rear. It was usable in good conditions and I took it out several times without incident but one time I took it out to the big lake in my area and while trying to unload it into the water off the trailer a fast boat flew by the ramps and the wake from that boat swamped my little dory. If it had been anything but a dory or a whaler that boat would have still been at the bottom of the lake today. Im not saying thats what will happen,maybe you will be ok. Im just saying to remember murphy and plan for the worst case scenario and hope for the best case. Good luck and happy boating!

sublauxation

Lieutenant

In my last post I forgot to mention....post pictures when you hack it down and finish. Should be cool to see and hope it works well. It's nice to be proven wrong once in a while and I hope that happens to all us nay-sayers. Make sure to add lots of flotation under that new rear platform. Hell, you can always add 3 inches back on.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

haha thanks guys for some of the advice. I have thought all of that threw over and over, hence why i haven't cut the transom yet just the splash well out. My intentions are to keep the motor the same height, i have an adjustable jacker plate to where the motor can stay at the same height so im not lowering the motor position. yes im cutting the transom a lil shorter but im not taking off any major support from it because im making that secondary transom which is going to be the same height of the original transom. so there isnt going to be any water flowing over into the boat. and its going to be solid so there is actually going to be more support in the rear of the boat anyways.

And i know what your all talking about by shortening the transom. i had another boat earlier a Sidewinder that someone cut the transom to fit a short shaft motor. and water poored into the boat like none other, but i fixed it by making a smaller splash well. and since i had that boat, ive thought this one out pretty well. i think. im going to continue on with this. with your opinions on mind.

again it was a free boat, and its an experiment so who knows how it will turn out. my loss my loss, who knows it could be a hella cool boat after you never know.

You will need MORE support and you are changing the height of the motor. Having a motor on a jack plate changes the entire personality of the motor and transom relationship.

You need to do more homework

Wear a PFD

Drewb082001

Seaman Apprentice

i like how none of you have any sorta prospect of me succeeding. Thats cool, your opinions verse mine! I like how none of you are even thinking outside the box.

Do some more homework! thats a lil harsh man.

well im done posting here. until boat gets finished i guess and it goes out. for a test trial. cause im done with all the negative attitude. so good luck with your projects. and none of the support.

peace

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i like how none of you have any sorta prospect of me succeeding. Thats cool, your opinions verse mine! I like how none of you are even thinking outside the box.

well im done posting here. until boat gets finished i guess and it goes out. for a test trial. cause im done with all the negative attitude. so good luck with your projects. and none of the support.

peace

I don't get it man. You asked me to post this video up for you, so you can hear the thoughts and opinions of the others on here. When the opinions are voiced and they don't agree with your idea you get bent out of shape? You asked, and they answered. I just don't get it...

Everyone here is just trying to help and keep boating a safe and fun activity for others.

I do wish you luck on your transom project and boat restore, and I want to help you however I can. I know the whole point of these forums is to help people succeed in what they are doing, through the knowledge and experience people can share.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

peace

uh.....ok,,,,,,lol

do some home work means you need to read here more and study...wasnt harsh at all......there are safety issues you are thinking of playing with.....we dont want your boat and family to be at the bottom of the lake in 5 seconds.....(yes...it will happen that fast)

there are lots of ways you can acheive what you want with out risking the safety of your family.....

as far as thinking outside the box and no support....uh.....well....perhaps the link in my signature may be of some assistance to you :D

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This guy complained when we told him his idea would not work too!
But at least he took our advice about the paddle.

leaky-boat_1442059i.jpg

I'm just sayin...:D

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

It's your boat...as long as you can swim.