Test for leaks by putting water into boat?

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1960 Crestliner Imp. Flying Crest (aluminum hull) and am in the process of replacing rivets, and trying to fix leaks. The boat is on a pair of very strong stands. I realize it wasn't designed to hold water - certainly not out of the water - but I'm wondering if I can get away with putting some water into it to test for leaks.

Has anyone done this successfully? I can watch my water meter so that I know how many gallons I'm putting into it and thereby keep track of the weight.

knehdn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Test for leaks by putting water into boat?

That's the first thing I did once I got mine home. I bought a 16' open 3-seater Starcraft... aluminum hull. The owner said it didn't leak. But once home, I filled it with about 4or 5 inches of water and let it sit. Lo and behold, no leaks... lucky me.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

What kind of stands? If supported on typical boat stands you will be putting all of the weight of the boat on those distinct point and could dent or bend your boat. I would not put water in it unsless it was supported in such a way as to spread the weight of the water out over a large area, like a bunk trailer. Also, if you are going to do it you may as well fill it up to the natural waterline.

bipshoft

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Bay

Let me know how it goes, I have almost the identical boat and will be doing the same once the temps cool and I can get the boat sealed with Gluvit

Hoping for a early fall here in easter WA

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

What kind of stands? If supported on typical boat stands you will be putting all of the weight of the boat on those distinct point and could dent or bend your boat. I would not put water in it unsless it was supported in such a way as to spread the weight of the water out over a large area, like a bunk trailer. Also, if you are going to do it you may as well fill it up to the natural waterline.

You make a good point and I'm aware that this is an issue. The stands are over-engineered out of lumber. The front stand cross member is made of an old header from a garage door (three 2x6s). Both the front and rear stands are carrying the boat on the external hull bracing (not sure what these are called) as well as a flatter point in the center. That's six points of contact plus an additional brace under the front of the bow.

That said, I'm really not confident about filling it up to the water line. That could get to be a LOT of weight. If I put 4 or 5 inches of water into the boat I figure that will average out to about 27 gallons per inch of depth. At 8.3 lbs/gallon that equals 224 lbs/inch, so 4 inches of water is already 1000 lbs. Plus the deeper I fill it, the wider the boat gets, so the weight will increase disproportionately.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

My point is if you aren't going to fill to natural waterline then why bother,

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

My point is if you aren't going to fill to natural waterline then why bother,

Because the repairs I've made so far and the additional spots that seem most questionable are almost all on the bottom of the boat. You are correct that I might not be able to see all leaks at once, but if I can fix many or most of them, I'll be in better shape than I was. Maybe I can even get it useable for the rest of our very short MN summer.

Also, propping the boat up to one side at a time and adding some water is another option for a second round of repair.

Another factor is that, when I'm eventually ready to check for leaks by putting the boat in the water, it will be easier to see the leaks that are a little higher up on the hull. Once there is some water inside the boat, the bottom leaks are tougher to spot unless it's really coming in.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am not fond of stressing things in the wrong direction

One of my starcrafts will not leak water out but while traveling it will leak in on the riveted seam on the port side.

It is best in my opinion if possible to do a float test instead.

I had even used gluvit on that hull and it just happened.

If you have a questionable spot then repair it properly and use gluvit....... many aluminum boats are not 100% tight and even if you had a rivet missing....... that small hole will not sink you.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

When I first got the floor out, I put water in mine to test it, and was able to find several leaky rivets. It was on a trailer and I put maybe 6 or 8" in it. No problems, but have been thinking about it since. I was wishing I'd floated it to test because it's a dark color and I wonder if I missed any spot on the bottom where it may have been seeping. It's a lot easier to see leaks in the good light from the top.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will be using Gluvit inside the hull and, in the spots where I've replaced rivets, on the outside, too.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I first got the floor out, I put water in mine to test it, and was able to find several leaky rivets. It was on a trailer and I put maybe 6 or 8" in it. No problems, but have been thinking about it since. I was wishing I'd floated it to test because it's a dark color and I wonder if I missed any spot on the bottom where it may have been seeping. It's a lot easier to see leaks in the good light from the top.

Thanks for that report. I hadn't thought about color making a difference. My boat is white and it's on these stands on a light-colored driveway, so I can see everything on the bottom very well.

Nick Alma Frith

Recruit

We did the same thing today. We filled the floor with water and found several leaks.

baytonemus

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was finally able to test the boat for leaks today, having riveted, installed screws, and applied a couple coats of Gluvit. I put about 180 gallons of water into the boat which allowed me to cover all of the new rivets and screws. I had no leaks ...at all ...ANYWHERE. I am very happy.

I cannot tell you how good it is going to feel to FINALLY install the new floor. I plan to holler insults as I screw it down. "Take THAT you &#$%@ing boat floor, you aluminum senior citizen!"

OK, so I may need to step away from the project for a day or two...

Vanover

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats, its good to stay dry in all that water. ;)