How do i add a fuel gauge

jpatz18

Cadet
I just bought a 20ft jon boat with a custom built gas tank. Well it has no gas gauge or a spot to put one in at. I can not remove the tank as it is welded in place.

How can i add something to tell me how much is in there?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: How do i add a fuel gauge

To add a gauge, you'll need to cut a hole in the top for the fuel sending unit. Good luck cutting a hole in a metal tank that has gas and vapors in it.

If you live to this part, get a universal gauge and follow the directions for adjusting the sending arm.

There are 2 wires that go to the terminals on the top. The one on the outside is the grounding terminal (-) and the one in the middle is the sending unit terminal (+). Grounding wire is black and the standard for the sending terminal is pink. This goes to the gauge.

Drill a hole in your dash for the gauge. Three terminals on the gauge, depending on brand. These are usually marked. One is power, one a ground wire and the other is the pink wire from the sending unit. If there's a fourth, it's usually a lightbulb.

Get online and find wiring diagrams or go through the directions that you get with the gauge and sending unit.

Pez Vela

Chief Petty Officer

Replace your gas cap with a gas cap fuel gauge if you can find one to fit your tank.

Attachments

• P0001959.jpg
    P0001959.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 1

Lakemeadan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you stick a wooden dowl into it (like a dip stick). Do it when it full and mark it. There's other ways but that is the most affortable.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Can you stick a wooden dowl into it (like a dip stick). Do it when it full and mark it. There's other ways but that is the most affortable.

I did that years ago to a replacement gas tank on an air compressor that I used in heavy construction work. Only I started from empty and marked the dowel every gallon from one to twelve.

When I sold the compressor several years later, the dowel went to the new owner along with the compressor, even though he said he was going to install a real gauge. Several years after that I ran into him on another job and he was still using the same old trusty dowel.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

A fuel flow meter will work more accurately than anything else.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A fuel gauge may have three or four terminals. 1) +12 volts when the key is on, 2) ground, 3) sender, and 4) the internal light if it has one. Here is a diagram of the fuel gauge and sender.

Gauge-SenderWiring.jpg

Lakemeadan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I did that years ago to a replacement gas tank on an air compressor that I used in heavy construction work. Only I started from empty and marked the dowel every gallon from one to twelve.

When I sold the compressor several years later, the dowel went to the new owner along with the compressor, even though he said he was going to install a real gauge. Several years after that I ran into him on another job and he was still using the same old trusty dowel.

Definitely the most accurate gauge on the market, I liked the story.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Stabbing tanks, an age old method. If you know your tank's dimensions, you can even tell how many gallons you have (assuming the tank is level) by using the height of the fuel on the stick in the old L X W X H equation, then converting the volume to a liquid measure...

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

If you know your tank's dimensions, you can even tell how many gallons you have (assuming the tank is level) by using the height of the fuel on the stick in the old L X W X H equation, then converting the volume to a liquid measure.

LxWxH (in inches)= cubic inches
LxWxH (in feet) = cubic feet
231 cubic inches = 1 gallon
1728 cubic inches = 1 cubic foot
1 cubic foot = 7.48 (7.5) gallons