How far can you trailer your boat?

brianwrites

Seaman
Was wondering how far I can take my boat. I've got a 1436 Jon boat with a single axle trailer. The Tires specs say 480 x 12B (whatever that means) and have five lugs. Tire pressure is 60 psi. Trying to figure out if I can trailer my boat to different lakes and ponds 50 miles away or should break the boat down and put it in the truck bed. Thanks.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: How far can you trailer your boat?

Should be able to tow it coast to coast, or till the tires blew out, odd question.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

You should be fine trailering it. I have a utility trailer with that size tire and have hauled it hundreds of miles loaded without problem.

NHGuy

Captain

No need to truck it if you have the trailer. Those tires will go forever, you won't ever wear em out, they will dry up first.

brianwrites

Seaman

I guess my concern is more so for the trailer. It seems kinda wimpy. It's new but a bump in the road might cause some problems. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

nash1970

Seaman Apprentice

I guess my concern is more so for the trailer. It seems kinda wimpy. It's new but a bump in the road might cause some problems. Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Yup paranoid

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Used to do a vacation on tires like that, 1600 miles in a week, no problems.

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do 200 to 800 mile trips with mine no problems. I just repack my bearings every fall.:)

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

'Til the truck runs out of gas.

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, stay off the drugs, they make you paranoid. :eek: (not spoken from experience). It is a strange question, I towed my boat across the country and was white knuckled the whole time (2 tire blow-outs @ highway speed). Now, running several hundred miles is just fine.

Make sure your axels are properly greased, tires properly inflated, and have a spare (and the rest of the towing reqmts). Then go for it, you'll get comfortable with it fairly quickly. :)

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

It's surprising that nobody mentioned speed, don't be the guy that passes everyone at 90mph towing a trailer with 12 inch tires on it

lncoop

Vice Admiral

The trailer seems wimpy because a 14' john boat doesn't weigh much. As long as the trailer is in proper condition you'll have no issues.

The Hammer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Was wondering how far I can take my boat. I've got a 1436 Jon boat with a single axle trailer. The Tires specs say 480 x 12B (whatever that means) and have five lugs. Tire pressure is 60 psi. Trying to figure out if I can trailer my boat to different lakes and ponds 50 miles away or should break the boat down and put it in the truck bed. Thanks.

Given the light weight I would reduce the tire pressure to 50lbs, Just drive 20 miles and put you hand on the tires, they should be warm but not hot.

The Famous Grouse

Petty Officer 1st Class

No need to truck it if you have the trailer. Those tires will go forever, you won't ever wear em out, they will dry up first.

Sadly, this is not always the case. Smaller trailer tires are still bias ply construction, so they actually wear out rather quickly compared to automobile tires. Now exactly what that means depends on how much distance you tow in the course of a year and the types of roads you travel on.

For me, a set of trailer tires on my fishing boat (12 inch) lasts about 2 years before they look like racing slicks. I put on about 5000 miles or more in those two years because I make long trips into Canada and several hundred of that is on gravel roads. Also, the trailer tends to be heavily loaded with supplies and fuel This type of use wears out tires very quickly and I don't like to let mine get too worn down because having a blowout is a really bad way to find out you should have replaced your tires.

Once you get into larger tires sizes and radial construction, the tires last longer, but everyone's mileage will vary according to use and conditions.

Grouse

wtxmale

Seaman Apprentice

I put 12,000 miles on my boat trailer last year,,,,average over 7,000 miles a year fishing tournaments all over texas,lous,,arkansas,,okl,,miss...just keep them maintained and correct tire pressure