Need some help testing my electrical system

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need some help testing my electrical system

Im hopeing someone will be able to help me here like I have done for others and others have done for me.... I really need to help before just ordering parts that I may not need.... Someone please help with my problems!

Ryan

Rezqewr

Cadet

You will need to have someone in the boat spray "starting fluid" in the carburetor while the running issue is occurring. If engine "cleans-out," the engine is starving for fuel. If ot, then I would look at spark, starting with the ignition primary circuit, (stator) then ignition secondary. (coils)

Hope this helps

matts72

Cadet

Hey Smoke. I concur with Jez. Sounds like its starving for fuel. You got a fuel filter on that thing that needs replacing? Fuel pump going out? Good Luck!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Generally I would say clean the carb and reset the float level. Then double check the timing advance linkage.

Kind of hard to give specific advice about a motor that has no model year of serial number.

My manuals only cover specific models and years. They made 8 different models for 20? years.
Knowing that it is a 30 hp Mariner doesn't help much for electrical diagnostics.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

And please don't spray starting fluid in the carbs. Starting fluid has no lubricant. Use premixed fuel instead.

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its a 1987 30e serial 689 s 103237 Im pretty much done looking at the carb I can bend the float needle rest down some and try that But have just rebuilt the carb and fuel pump changed all fuel lines and have 1 inline filter. Changed both the plugs checked compression. The boat gave me heck when I first got the motor doing the same thing and one day I played with the carb and it went away for a while then one day on the river went around a bend and bam same problem. Then played with it and it went away for a good while but still had minor problems. After hunting season last year I hit a small snag not hard and shes been giving me problems ever since! Im thinkn it has to be electrical to be coming and going....

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Generally I would say clean the carb and reset the float level. Then double check the timing advance linkage.

Kind of hard to give specific advice about a motor that has no model year of serial number.

My manuals only cover specific models and years. They made 8 different models for 20? years.
Knowing that it is a 30 hp Mariner doesn't help much for electrical diagnostics.

By the way how would I go about checking the timeing advance linkage? Is there a certain spot number or so its supposed to be on. I bought a manual for this thing but aparantly it only covers a couple items for my motor! Piece of crud

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so Im humoring everyone Ive cleaned the carb (again) one thing I notice was the high jet (which is a set jet) was overtightened and turned to far to the right. Used tephlon and set it straight. Moved alot of wires from the block and too the holders. Adjust the float level to go higher and reset the air fuel mix 1 1/2 out. Tomorrow I will run it and will let yall know what goes on. If anyone else thinks of anything else let me know please. Hunting season is almost here and need her to run properly!!:D

Ryan

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok guys just got back and am haveing the same problem but I did notice when I idle around for a few and Im guessing the motor cools down some, I open her up and she runs better but then goes to worst. Has anyone experienced this or knows an area to look in?
I only have the problem at wot.
Now I dont know if this is a symptom but she has always done this. While putting in to gear at idle and idle is adjusted to about 7 to 800 rpms
the motor dies from low idle and when idled up in gear, the neutral idle screams..... Any ideas

Attachments

• 0811001019a.jpg
    0811001019a.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 0811001020a.jpg
    0811001020a.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • downsized_0811001019.jpg
    downsized_0811001019.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
  • downsized_0811001019b.jpg
    downsized_0811001019b.jpg