Unbelievable idiot

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer
My son and I got to the lake late yesterday afternoon, ready to enjoy a nice overnighter on the water. Lately he's been taking the boat from the trailer and tooling around while I park the truck (SOOO nice not having to wait for the dock!). Since he has only done this a couple times, I told him to wait to pick me up from the dock until most of the boaters pulling off the water were cleared. As he's coming in towards the dock, a guy comes to the end of the dock next to me, looking around like he's looking for his crew to pick him up. Then he takes his shirt off and jumps in the water and looks to be swimming out towards a couple boats that were 300-350' out. he gets about 50' out and just stops. My son was about 50' from him at this point, but saw him and stopped to see what this idiot was going to do next. The guy decides to swim back to the dock. My son gets about 20' away and the guy starts swimming right into his path so my son has to reverse, then back to the dock, where he attempts several times without success to get back up on the dock. Finally he swims over to the shoreline.
The knucklehead is lucky he didn't get run over and prop-mangled.

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Unbelievable idiot

Actually, I find it entirely believable. Saddly.....

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Many, many normal, sane people do unbelievably idiotic things once in a while.

That doesn't make us idiots, it just make us human.

Think about it. :)

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Shouldn't that read: Many, many normal, sane people do unbelievably idiotic things when a boat ramp is in view. :D

Macwrench

Seaman Apprentice

He took his shirt off, that should have been the signal! :D

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What I want to know is, what did he do with his shirt? Did he just throw it on the shoreline, or did he tuck it under his arm and jump in? If he made it to the boats 300ft out, and assuming he left it on the shore, how did he expect to get it back?

nuboat2me

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its has been said...

"And they walk among us..." :rolleyes:

shaneb0422

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well looks like OP's idiot just gave himself up. :D

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

Shouldn't that read: Many, many normal, sane people do unbelievably idiotic things when a boat ramp is in view. :D

Yeah, what is it about boats ramps that turns every third person into a moron? A buddy of mine, said on the first nice weekend of the year, instead of taking his own boat out, he was going to take a picnic lunch, a video camera and his family to the boat ramp, he said, "you can't buy entertainment like that"! Several of the lakes I go to have a single ramp, if you have one moron tying it up, by doing something stupid, NOBODY else can launch or retrieve their boats.
One sunday evening after being on the water all day and sitting in a very long line, waiting my turn at the ramp, when I finally get to the front, there is ONE boat dead in the center of the DOUBLE ramp, blocking both sides, this moron spent 15 minutes getting his boat onto the trailer as I waited, THEN pulls his boat up just far enough to clear the water and gets out his rag and begin to wipe ALL the water off his 22' boat! I had enough and backed my trailer into the narrow spot, between his boat and the dock, I thought,"maybe he just dosn't realize that its a DOUBLE ramp". The MORON, said loudly, so that I would hear about,"people not having any courtesy". Its a very good thing I had my buddy with me, he tackled me before I could get to the guy. I just wanted to "explain", "courtesy" to him. After I convinced my buddy to let me go, I got my boat out of there and left, the MORON was STILL there wiping his boat down, with a long line of people waiting. I really SHOULD have "explained" it to him!

nuboat2me

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really SHOULD have "explained" it to him![/QUOTE said:
I am quite certain, that, folks behind you DID explain it to him... In more ways than one...

I have had my share of "Ramp Rage"....

I just do like you did... Slide right in next to him, load up and pull to the tie down area... I have bitten my tongue Countless Times!!!!

I have learned to smile and wave.... You can't fix stupid!!! And etiquette comes with a price... Some just don't want to pay...

Self righteuous #$(*_*^'s...

The popular quote for me lately...

"And they walk among us..."

J

RicMic

Chief Petty Officer

"I have learned to smile and wave", me too, I just don't use all my fingers:D

whitjohn

Cadet

Not an idiot story....but Saturday as we were getting ready to launch we were waiting on a guy pulling a ski boat with his Hummer. My wife was in the 4runner with her jetski and I was waiting behind her with the pontoon.

Anyway I tell her that this guy is ahead of us but there is only one boat on the double ramp. So I politely asked him if he was ready.....noticing that he looked a bit edgy? "Go ahead" he replied, "this is my dad's car so I want to be careful"

Nice to see a young man that respected his Dad's property! When we were done, he launched without incident on the empty double ramp!

seasprite88

Recruit

I was comin in from a day on the lake there were two jet skis in the water trying to get the bugs worked out i guess. So i carefully backed the trailer in the water get in my boat and procede to load her on the trailer. I'm about ten feet from the trailer when all the sudden one of the jet skis fires up and the guy throttles it and rides right onto my trailer facing me. So i throw it in reverse and wait patiently. But the jet ski is know stuck on my trailer between the rollers. took him about ten mins to get it unstuck. If you cant drive it leave it at home. some people should have to wear a sign that says im stupid. had i been on the rtailer already he would of smashed into yhe side of my boat.

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would love to hear the "other side" of the story. I bet it would go something like...."I was minding my own business and jumped in the water and swam 50 feet out when some kid driving his old man's boat came buzzing up. So I stopped to see what he was going to do, next thing I know he stopped. So I went 20 more feet trying to get to my destination, and next thing I know HE WENT 20 feet. So it was an old fashioned stand-off....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Micahhaase

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The other weekend I was getting ready to put in my pontoon and the line was backed up pretty far after about 15 minutes i got to next in line of a 2 boat ramp and see this one guy had launched his jet ski and I'm guessing it wouldn't start so he backed his truck down further in the water and had jumper cables hooked up from the truck to the jet ski in the water.... I couldn't believe it but I guess it wasn't illegal as a park ranger drove up beside me in plain view of the guy then left without saying anything. He was still there when i had launched my boat and left the dock.... My question is if that jet ski died out in the middle of the lake would he try to drive the truck out there to jump it?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The other weekend I was getting ready to put in my pontoon and the line was backed up pretty far after about 15 minutes i got to next in line of a 2 boat ramp and see this one guy had launched his jet ski and I'm guessing it wouldn't start so he backed his truck down further in the water and had jumper cables hooked up from the truck to the jet ski in the water.... I couldn't believe it but I guess it wasn't illegal as a park ranger drove up beside me in plain view of the guy then left without saying anything. He was still there when i had launched my boat and left the dock.... My question is if that jet ski died out in the middle of the lake would he try to drive the truck out there to jump it?

I dont know, do they even have a charging system? I have jump started my boat before, but I also knew that I have an alternator to get a charge going, and where I was going I was planning on stopping to buy a battery anyway. One was brand new but my second battery was pretty old. I didnt do it when there was a line of people waiting though, the day I did it was a weekday and I was the only person on the 6 ramps. He probably should have asked someone in a boat to try to jump start him out away from the ramp and kept the cables in the boat if it did start.

fishrdan

Admiral

Darwin affect :rolleyes:

It reminds me of those little ground squirrels that race across the road while you are cruising 75MPH down the interstate, sometimes they make it, sometimes they dont....

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Remember, it takes 45 muscles to frown, but only 22 to shoot the finger.