Is this a bad idea? - transom question

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Noob alert! - First of all, thanks for all of the great info on this site. Two months ago I knew nothing about boats. Now I'm kind of obsessed. I've spent many hours and late nights reading this forum.
Here's the deal - I bought a 1973 Reinell trihull for next to nothing. The only thing I knew when I bought it was to ask about the transom. The guy said the transom was fine, but that the motor wouldn't turn over. After about an hour of tinkering, I got motor to run. New plugs, new impeller, new gas, cleaned out the water tubes, and she pees like a champ. But then I discovered that the transom was trash.
I've read about many different ways to replace the transom. Seacast is not an option. So I've boiled it down to three choices:
1. take off the top
2. cutting the top of the transom
or
3. And here's the question... Could I just cut the top off about two feet from the back (marked in red on photo). It would give me great access to the transom, and it would leave me with minimal body work to put it back together. I haven't found anything like this, which makes me think that it may not be the best idea.
attachment.php

Is there any reason (safety, structure, strength) why this wouldn't work? Or am I just trading one headache for another? Thanks in advance for your help.

dOb

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Is this a bad idea? - transom question

Pic not working...

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry. See if this works.

Attachments

• repair_option3.jpg
    repair_option3.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Others with similar types of splashwells have done what you are suggesting. You just need to ensure that when you put it all back together that the integrity of the structure is not compromised. Your fiberglass gunwales need to be reinforced to ensure that they can sustain the forces applied.

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great. Thanks for the quick reply. There are foam pads that run under the gunwales. If I cut back the foam and lay several layers of fiberglass under the cut, and then re-fiberglass the top, would that be enough reinforcement?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would use a biaxial cloth to give it maximum strenth 1708 and for sure use epoxy and NOT polyester resin.

dOb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will do. I hope to have the old transom out by the end of next week (my boat time is limited). Maybe I can post some pics of the whole process.
Thanks again.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The cap doesn't get as much stress as other parts of the boat, frequently they're just chop, so there's no need to over build it when you put it back together. This means you also have the option of using either epoxy or polyester, either will do the job just fine.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Check out Nidabond. Costs much less than SeaCast. If you're not going to pop the cap I'd at least look into it.

Just cut the splash well out. Leave the gunwhales as they are. You just need to remove enough of the transom/gunwhale connection to be able to slide your transom in place. Then reglass your splashwell back in.