1996 Nitro 185 SF 115 Mercury runs terrible

HD Fatboy?

Seaman
Hi new here nice site!

I recently purchased 1996 Nitro 185 SF. had it out about 12 times.

Two days ago, I took it out launched without issue everything fine. While out on the Lake I got caught in a torrential down pour. The boat started up and ran back to the Launch Ramp (about 5 mins.) Left boat tied to dock for about 30 mins for storm to pass.

Rain quit started boat up to put on trailer and it ran a little rough but managed to get it loaded and back home.

Yesterday took boot out and the only way it would start is to push in the button on shifter with lots of throttle. It would run very very rough with lots of blue exhaust even showing some unburnt fuel in water.

could never get motor to idle or run in gear.

Please help me on where to start. really confused on how 1 day everything fine and the next, this much trouble.

Thanks in advance

HD Fatboy?

Seaman
Re: 1996 Nitro 185 SF 115 Mercury runs terrible

"Bump"
I have been searching here for similar problems without much luck, I think I managed to find the manual here with a RS link I hope it is the correct one. Thanks

HD Fatboy?

Seaman

OK Maybe someone could answer this 1 question, I found the bottom spark plug wire damaged from the engine cover. The insulation was nicked and I can see bare wire. would these cause motor not to start in nuetral? I have been searching all day and I did find a simalar problem where there was a bad plug in #1 cyl. aparently these motors run on two cylinders and then 4, so my question is, the bottom cylinder #1 or #4

Thanks

HD Fatboy?

Seaman
Re: 1996 Nitro 185 SF 115 Mercury UPDATE

Re: 1996 Nitro 185 SF 115 Mercury UPDATE

I replaced damaged plug wire. took boat to lake, Lowered motor into water. noticed gas/oil floating on water, Where can this be coming from?

Anyway turned key motor started right up idled for prob 5 seconds and stopped.

would not start again in neutral. push button in on control and give throttle it will run really terrible.

If I am in the wrong forum section please tell me, I cant figure out how I have not had 1 reply to this post.

Its true what the say about the two best days of owning a boat because I am really regretting this one.

I just need a starting point on what I should look at first.

Can someone please come to help

Thanks in advance!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Hi new here nice site!

I recently purchased 1996 Nitro 185 SF. had it out about 12 times.

Two days ago, I took it out launched without issue everything fine. While out on the Lake I got caught in a torrential down pour. The boat started up and ran back to the Launch Ramp (about 5 mins.) Left boat tied to dock for about 30 mins for storm to pass.

Rain quit started boat up to put on trailer and it ran a little rough but managed to get it loaded and back home.

Yesterday took boot out and the only way it would start is to push in the button on shifter with lots of throttle. It would run very very rough with lots of blue exhaust even showing some unburnt fuel in water.

could never get motor to idle or run in gear.

Please help me on where to start. really confused on how 1 day everything fine and the next, this much trouble.

Thanks in advance

Have you ever taken the boat and engine in for servicing since you bought it?

HD Fatboy?

Seaman

Have you ever taken the boat and engine in for servicing since you bought it?

First off thank you for replying.

I bought this boat used from a private owner about 4 weeks ago.

I had it on the water, about 12-20 times so far, and it always ran well.
I always had to charge main battery (new) after a couple uses. I downloaded the Mercury Manual like I posted earlier. have not had time right yet to test and replace rectifier, I believe that's why the battery does not charge and Tach does not work.

As far as taken it in for service I would if there was somewhere to take it to. I live in rural PA where the economy went to crap. use to be alot of boats and a couple shops around. all gone now.

What I do not understand how it could go from running well to not running over night.

I was just wondering where to start first electrical or fuel I know these are the two main things.

back in the day I used to work on 2-stroke motorcycles I assume the principle is a little similar. This is my first boat.

Well sorry for the long reply and again, thank you. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

sschefer

Rear Admiral

First off thank you for replying.

I bought this boat used from a private owner about 4 weeks ago.

I had it on the water, about 12-20 times so far, and it always ran well.
I always had to charge main battery (new) after a couple uses. I downloaded the Mercury Manual like I posted earlier. have not had time right yet to test and replace rectifier, I believe that's why the battery does not charge and Tach does not work.

As far as taken it in for service I would if there was somewhere to take it to. I live in rural PA where the economy went to crap. use to be alot of boats and a couple shops around. all gone now.

What I do not understand how it could go from running well to not running over night.

I was just wondering where to start first electrical or fuel I know these are the two main things.

back in the day I used to work on 2-stroke motorcycles I assume the principle is a little similar. This is my first boat.

Well sorry for the long reply and again, thank you. any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Seems like you had an existing problem with the rectifier/regulator. Disconnect it and see how it runs then. You're engine will run without it but it won't charge the battery.

If it's a EFI motor and the battery goes dead your engine won't run right. The battery will still be in the run loop without the rectifier/regulator and the engine will start as long as the battery has a charge.

HD Fatboy?

Seaman

Its not an EFI engine anyways here is what I did tonight.

1) disconnected Regulator/rectifier no change
2) Checked Spark on all four cylinders good here
3) Removed all spark plugs all plugs looked wet, and 2 had what appeared to be more carbon than other two.

Things that were happening.

1) let motor sit for 15-20 mins turn key no choke, motor would idle 2-5 seconds and quit. Every time without fail
2) try to restart just turning motor over, no fire.

3) removed air box, puddle of fuel in bottom.
4) can see fuel in water from exhaust.
5) can smell fuel.

conclusions: engine flooding?

Manual mentions reeds and or reed box, but can not find any further info in manual.

Anyone know about reeds and what they do?

Still looking for your opinions here. it helps!

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Its not an EFI engine anyways here is what I did tonight.

1) disconnected Regulator/rectifier no change
2) Checked Spark on all four cylinders good here
3) Removed all spark plugs all plugs looked wet, and 2 had what appeared to be more carbon than other two.

Things that were happening.

1) let motor sit for 15-20 mins turn key no choke, motor would idle 2-5 seconds and quit. Every time without fail
2) try to restart just turning motor over, no fire.

3) removed air box, puddle of fuel in bottom.
4) can see fuel in water from exhaust.
5) can smell fuel.

conclusions: engine flooding?

Manual mentions reeds and or reed box, but can not find any further info in manual.

Anyone know about reeds and what they do?

Still looking for your opinions here. it helps!

Based on that I think it may be as simple as a float problem. Could just be a piece of dirt in the float needle seat. I'd pull the carbs and rebuild them but first I'd change all the filters. If it is dirt, you don't want it comming back.

If one or more bowls are over filling it will exit out the idle circuits.

HD Fatboy?

Seaman
Got the Motor Running!!!! Yahooo

Got the Motor Running!!!! Yahooo

First off thanks sschefer for your help.

I am posting this to maybe help others who had the same problem.

Today we took off fuel pump, took it apart and everything looked good. put back on and motor started and ran for the usual 3-5 seconds and quit. Gas poured out of the bottom 2 carb intakes. I was in the cockpit aned my father in law was at the motor when he said try starting it again. I turned the key motor fired right up and sat ther idleing.

I said what did you do. He took needle nose pliers and crimped shut one of the fuel lines coming from the Enrichener Valve. This valve must be stuck open and flooding cylinders 1 & 2 which are the only two that run during idleing.

I disconnected the two wires and it still idled correctly.

Now I am off to find some parts online

Carb rebuild kits
Enrichener Valve
Airbox Gasket
Vent Assembly for oil Tank (found that missing)

Thanks again sschefer

I will be hanging baround the site though cause I find it very informative!

Mike

Last edited:

KEVINS800

Cadet

i'm sure the bottom cylinder is number 4 and at idle only the top 2 cylinders will run? check plugs for fouling also rectifier got mosture and shorted?