Were Grew Boats well built ?

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class
HI fellow restorers
I was looking at a second project and was wondering how grew boats were built ? were they strong/good in there days
It's a grew ss160v I think
any others kicking around the forum did a quick search but no results

Thank all and have a great weekend

saildan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Were Grew Boats well built ?

HI fellow restorers
I was looking at a second project and was wondering how grew boats were built ? were they strong/good in there days
It's a grew ss160v I think
any others kicking around the forum did a quick search but no results

Thank all and have a great weekend

This Grew ? - http://grew.ca

I've seen a few, but never owned one so I was curious, All I found was this Boating.com review. FWIW

Grew Boats draws on over 100 years of experience to offer boats which uphold their high standards. The company offers boats for a wide range of uses, from fishing craft for lakes, rivers, and coastal waters to jet boats.

Grew Boats, originally Gridley Boat Works, began near Georgian Bay in Canada in 1882. By the 1920s, a master boat maker named Arthur Grew took over the company, which quickly became known as Grew Manufacturing. Under Arthur Grew, the company expanded while continuing to emphasize the use of quality materials and craftsmen in their boat construction.

Pricing
New Grew boats range in price from $9,000 to $25,000. Used boats can be found from $5,000 to $20,000, depending on the model.

Pros
Grew Boats comes from a tradition of experience and excellence.
The company offers a ten-year warranty on the hull and structure. Limited warranties are available on all other components.
The variety of models available makes Grew Boats a good choice for a wide range of buyers.

Cons
Most difficulties experienced with Grew boats are due to their scarcity in the United States. Grew boats are far more common in Canada, with only one official dealer in the U.S., located in Pennsylvania.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

What year?

It doesn't make all that much of a difference in how well the boat was built to begin with when doing a complete rebuild, because when the wood rots you need to re-construct all the stuff that was normally done poorly in the beginning.

If you like the hull design that?s what counts most.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

I'm the proud owner of a 1976 Grew SS215. The boats built in the 1970's were built under licence from Slickcraft of Holland Michigan. As far as I know they are an exact replica and built just as well. I think that in the '70's manufacturers didn't know how little material they could get away with so they tended to overbuild with the Slickcraft/Grew being one of the most solid and strong. For instance, this year I replaced my wet plywood subdeck and fully expected to find wet stringers and transom. The centre stringer was completely encapsulated with glass and made of solid teak and was bone dry as was the transom! In my opinion the older Grew boats are one of the best deals around and I can't see ever changing my boat. (I guess that's a vote of confidence, eh?)

kilowatts

Cast-A-Way

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to all

I picked it up this weekend and will post the restore !