Electric shift:...worth repairing?? cost?

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1962 Lark V. Today while running around the bay my forward gear went out. I was able to shift to reverse and nuetral just fine but no forward gear. I check the voltage to the forward coil and it is at 12.2 volts When I got home I found water in the lower unit so I can assume maybe the water shorted the coil out? I do have a spare set of coils that are NOS. My big question is this....any idea of what I should pay to have the lower unit sealed and new coils installed? When I pulled the boat out of the water I found oil leaking around the prop shaft...So I guess the bearing and seal is bad.

Any advise or help is greatly appreciated

Mark

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Electric shift:...worth repairing?? cost?

All I can say is 'ouch'. Around here a lot of dealers won't touch anything older than mid-80's. Which is why I work on my own.....You could too, with time, patience, and the right manuel.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well then..I will try myself. I have all the shop manuals and diagrams. I'll check with my local dealer and see if he has a seal kit. I hoping I have not done any damage to the coils or gears. I remove the prop and found that a oring / omc# 307058 is missing...no wonder water was getting in. Everthing else seems fine so far. Will really get into it tomorrow when I have more time.

Will water in the lower unit do damage only thou it was only for a short time?

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Short term you're probably ok. Check for rust and corrosion.

Seal kit is fairly cheap. The coils are not overly expensive, but you said you have NOS coils. The springs....gonna get your feelings hurt, bad.....only place I have seen them available wanted almost $400 apiece :eek:

Read the manuel very carefully, and when you think you understand it, read it again. Personally, I don't think it would be a one day job, so be prepared to spend some quality time. But then, maybe you're a better mechanic than me ;)

Do it right, and you can get another 40 years out of that engine. Good luck.

Oh, and don't forget the Type 3 gear lube!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The problem might be the cable going down to the lower unit. It is NLA.

Special tools are involved to remove and reinstall that coil and the bearing ahead of it, if necessary. One of the many reasons nobody wants to work on them--they don't have the tools. Or they don't know how. Or they just plain don't want to.

If the motor has ever been ran in salt water it can be a real pleasure to get apart. (Not). Sometimes, fresh water too. A hacksaw is standard procedure on many salt water ones.

OK, before somebody tells me, yes it is possible to do it without the special tools. But it ain't easy.

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

So far so good. I was able to get the lower unit off and will tackle the gears and coils tomorrow night after work. I think you might be right about the corrosion. From what I can see it appears the forward gear spring looks like it has some surface rust. It might be just stuck. I sprayed some WD-40 on it and let it sit overnight and see if I can free it up.

Any idea what the OHMS reading should be for these coils? My shop manual makes no mention of troubleshooting except to check for corrosion and 12vdc at the coil.

Mark

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Approx. 8 ohms

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Update:

Found that the wiring harness was bad. I made a new one and was able to resuse the existing rubber seals. Now my lower units works great. Purchased a new seal kit and installed. Thanks for everyones help. Lots of good info on this site.

Mark

AlTn

Commander

glad to read of your success...thanks for posting back

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Good job!. Just use Type C gear oil, and check it a couple of times after you take it out to make sure it's sealed well. Water is what really kills those electric shifters.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You should play the lottery tonight :D

mstahl1171

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lottery!!! My local dealer sold me a whole list of nos parts for this old motor including hubs for forward and reverse, clutch springs, and bearings for $50.00 total...I think I just won the lottery :D

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

Lottery!!! My local dealer sold me a whole list of nos parts for this old motor including hubs for forward and reverse, clutch springs, and bearings for $50.00 total...I think I just won the lottery :D

Wow. That's like 800 bucks list price....:eek: