riser stud....

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
The saga continues..
Removed riser on exhaust mani to get to the blocking plate..
When I removed the riser..it had 3 bolts..but one has a stud that lifted out with the riser..seems it wasn't threaded.

So now I am looking at jb welding the dang thing in there..(ok yell at me for that)
Or...MUST I go buy a tap and die set..never used one but can figure it out..lol

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: riser stud....

Better off puttin a Heli-Coil in than tapping to next size because you may not be able to get a wrench on the larger hex!

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Better off puttin a Heli-Coil in than tapping to next size because you may not be able to get a wrench on the larger hex!

Ok..I had to do a google search on Heli-coil..lol
Looks like a good answer...do you know if you can get it in just the one size needed?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Got the heli-coil (albeit another version..) from the auto parts store..what a POS!!!!!:mad:

Had the tap n die and coils..the tap handle was plastic that rounded out in 2 turns! GEEEESH..anther 25 bucks on crapola tools..

Said the ELL with it and got JB weld..its curing now and will check on it in a few..

always sumthing

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Well the JB Weld was a failure :mad:

Any idea how far into the manifold casting you can go? (drill?)

Looks like drilling it and tapping is going to have to be the answer

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

advanced... I may just get to HF and buy a T&D set..May retry the heli coil..or just drill deeper and tap it for the 3/8th stud bolt

Bifflefan

Commander

Use a real Heli-Coil kit. its worth the money. Knock offs are junk as you found out.
They are expensive, but once you have the taps and drill bits all you need is the coils and you can use it many many times.
I probably have 500.00 in drill bits and taps alone. I just buy the coils I need.
But then again I have a use for them so they are a justified cost.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Use a real Heli-Coil kit. its worth the money. Knock offs are junk as you found out.
They are expensive, but once you have the taps and drill bits all you need is the coils and you can use it many many times.
I probably have 500.00 in drill bits and taps alone. I just buy the coils I need.
But then again I have a use for them so they are a justified cost.

Thanks Biff...
Are the Helicoil taps propieritary? You have to use their tap to use the coil?

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Just to close this off and say thanks to all of ya..

Today I got the manifold off and into the garage. There was absolutely no room under the transom to do this correctly..Drilled out the hole, tapped it and inserted the Heli-Coil..
Life is good..
As soon as I got back to the boat, it starts pouring rain..of course:mad: