2006 Q4 FS Livewell how does it work?

tonesdman

Recruit
I recently purchased a 2006 Tahoe FS Q4. (outboard)

It has a livewell in the back transom. There is a single switch on the dash for the live well up is auto and down is manual. It is not filling with water. Can someone school me on the switch positions and if maybe there was a valve i need to open?

Also, there is 2 drain plugs. I removed the top one while in the water and nothing happened. I heard that it something to do with wakeboarding and lowering the boat.

Thanks

tonesdman

Recruit
Re: 2006 Q4 FS Livewell how does it work?

Great thx but what about the dual drain plugs?

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you mean drain plugs for the livewell, then I just use the top one to keep water in the well. I had a plug on the outside of the boat but removed it because I saw no use for it other than maybe keeping critters out while the boat was out of the water. In the thread that I linked to my last reply, it showed a picture of the drain plug in the livewell. Other than that, you can see the transom picture that shows the screened port and the drain for the livewell up and to the right. This drain up and to the right is where the other plug used to be. The other plugs in the trsansom are the bilge drain in the center and the oil change access to the left. I do not know of any wakeboard plugs etc. If this doesn't help, then a picture would definitely help.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I see that your boat is an outboard, so maybe the oil change plug is N/A on your boat.

tonesdman

Recruit

So the well works but the pump needs help primeing the first time. I have to take off the hose from the pump to the well and hold it as low as the pump. It primes and then I can put it back in the tank. It will the cycle on auto or manual no problems. I'm thinking my pump is getting tired.

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would check the pump for leaks. It could be sucking air around the casing. Maybe a simple gasket fix.

rdhawk1950

Seaman

The livewell function is as follows. Place a plug in the bottom of the well, if you want a continous flow of fresh water to the well leave the top plug out , this is a continous overflow drain, with the switch in manual position, actually these boats are not equiped for the auto function.As far as having to prime the pump you must have trash in the pump pickup. Where the water comes out in the livewell with a little twist and pulling this nozzle comes out. After removal of this piece one can use an air compressor to blow air back thru to possible blow trash out of the pump.Do not blow from the transom , you will blow trash further into the system . Wake board towers have nothing to do with any livewell function. the only drain at the transom to be pluged at time of putting the boat in the water is the lowest center drain.If your boat is not equiped with a screw on screen at the livewell pickup at the transom , it may be wise to invest in one. Customer service VIA Bass Pro Shop may furnish ;);)one at no cost!

tonesdman

Recruit

So I upgraded to a 750 from a 500 to give it a little more pressure. I also got a new intake screen because it was missing. All is good and it primes on it's own now. Thanks for the input!

mccownk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the 750cfm pump, does it overfill when in auto? Does the overflow handle the extra flow?