Extending boat ladder ideas?

IndyCJ

Cadet
Alright need some help here.

First off, I'm 6'6", and the ladder we have on our Four Winns is 'adequate' in as much as the only way I can get in the boat is to put both knees on the bottom rung and pull myself up enough to be able to step up.

Well, now I have a problem.

Playing baseball a couple of weeks ago ... MRI's revealed.

Both ACL's (Complete tear)
Both meniscus (inner and outer?) on both knees, complete tear.
and ... the list goes on.

I'm putting off surgery for as long as I can (hopefully end of boating season), kids are already upset that they've missed a couple of weekends of boating because I can't walk for S@#*. Well, I'm feeling better, good enough to go boating, but there's no way I'll be able to go hours on a boat and not 'go' in the water (if you get my drift :D ).

Any ideas for a 'temporary' extension for a ladder? I was thinking a rope ladder hooked to the bottom rung, but does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks!
--Indy

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Extending boat ladder ideas?

Rope ladder would work. Any length of rope or strapping tied at both ends forming a loop would work as well if it's just one more step you need. How bout stepping on the anticavitation plate? That's what I do.

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

dont have an answer on the ladder, but that stinks regarding the ACL. I blew mine out playing baseball a year ago and just had the surgery in March. It took me about 8 weeks post op before I went boating again....you must have really been doing some crazy stuff to blow both out at the same time.

bassman284

Commander

This won't help if you are really wanting a swim, but if you're only looking to pollute the water, just get a plastic jug with a handle on it. "Go" and dump it overboard. Of course if you're planning a more profound form of pollution, that won't really work as well.

IndyCJ

Cadet

dont have an answer on the ladder, but that stinks regarding the ACL. I blew mine out playing baseball a year ago and just had the surgery in March. It took me about 8 weeks post op before I went boating again....you must have really been doing some crazy stuff to blow both out at the same time.

I've blown both of them out before (not at the same time), so I knew as I went down in a giant heap that I had 'big problems'.

This won't help if you are really wanting a swim, but if you're only looking to pollute the water, just get a plastic jug with a handle on it. "Go" and dump it overboard. Of course if you're planning a more profound form of pollution, that won't really work as well.

Yea, I'm looking for something a little more discreet. :D My idea was to just 'whip it out', but wifey doesn't think that's very appropriate with family and friends on board. :rolleyes:

Dan19720

Seaman Apprentice

It depends on how close you are to your friends.

jesus94p

Cadet

I bought that same rope at walmart. Idk if its just me but it seems to flimsy and its hard to get up on.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

ahahahah ! "more profound form of pollution"... floaters ?
:D:D:D

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

seriously , post a few pics of your ladder ,... one of us here may come up with a better solution than rope...sorry about the knees...good luck there...

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I have toyed with the idea of using a length of swing chain (Lowe's) passed through a piece of PVC, and a couple of appropiate 'S' hooks to latch onto my bottom rung (or side tubes) of my 2 step ladder. It may not be perfect (would push away from me as I applied my weight), but it may give me enough of a start to make it to my first step.

Happy boating!

DaNinja

Lieutenant

A rope extention was difficult for me to use, let alone my less agile guests.
I have older guests that won't get in the water because they can't get up the ladder on my boats. They have physical/girth issues that make it difficult.

My FIL has a pair of artificially knees which made it impossible for him to get a foot on the bottom rung of the Starcraft. We actually had to inflate a inflatable chair, get him on it on the shore, and pull him up with a rope.

I also am looking for some inputs here.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

take a look at the 'over the gunwale' ladders..the hooks usually fold in , that means that you could set the hooks over the top step of your existing ladder and gain one or two more steps ,depending on which one you opt for ..three step or four step......and they would rest against the lower portion of your existing ladder while in use as opposed to using a rope that will want to fly under the boat when you put your weight on it...and it can be stowed when not in use. ...iboats sells several of these...

DaNinja

Lieutenant

take a look at the 'over the gunwale' ladders..the hooks usually fold in , that means that you could set the hooks over the top step of your existing ladder and gain one or two more steps ,depending on which one you opt for ..three step or four step......and they would rest against the lower portion of your existing ladder while in use as opposed to using a rope that will want to fly under the boat when you put your weight on it...and it can be stowed when not in use. ...iboats sells several of these...
Hmm...I returned the one that we tried because the hooks weren't wide enough for the gunwale entry door. I hadn't thought of trying it as a ladder extension. Maybe even a couple of hose clamps for added stability for my more challenged guest...hmm.

Thanks for the idea!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

If you have some 1/2 inch marine style rope try to make your own.
Take some 2x4 cut it to width/length for as many steps you want.
drill a hole on each end.
feed rope through the bottom one, and then tie a big knot at each point were the next step will be.
Tie of to something that won't pull out with weight on it.

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you have some 1/2 inch marine style rope try to make your own.
Take some 2x4 cut it to width/length for as many steps you want.
drill a hole on each end.
feed rope through the bottom one, and then tie a big knot at each point were the next step will be.
Tie of to something that won't pull out with weight on it.

You would have to weight the bottom of the ladder also as the wooden rungs would float.