I'm about to purchase MFG, need help....

fragdemon

Recruit
Hey guys i am considering heavily about buying this MFG. But the seller doesnt know which model it is. He just has it listed as a 1965 MFG 18foot runabout. Anyone have a clue which model this is? And if anyone has any opinions whether i should or should not buy this one please dont hold back!!!! Thanks!!!

mfg_65_1.jpg

mfg_65_2.jpg

mfg_65_3.jpg

mfg_65_4.jpg

mfg_65_5.jpg

mfg_65_6.jpg

pduquette

Ensign
Re: I'm about to purchase MFG, need help....

Well, firstoff welcome !
I'd have to guess it would be a '70 s caprice - tho not positive . go to Fiberglassics.com/MFG and search the old sales flyers ;read company history ;see still in use section .
My biased opinion is these are great classic boats . the hulls were die pressed by the same people that made parts for the corvette . your boat has more rake to the bow than my '61 oxford (14'10") so I'd think it would be quicker to plane than mine-not that i have problems with that .
investigate the transom for rot same with the floor and stringers under the floor .yours has alot of added plywood- was it to cover up some thing ? etc
the windshields are still availible from Taylor $500-$600 most of the time buffing will help the glass +gellcoat too . look for small cracks/fissures in each. keep us posted! good luck

Attachments

• 07-30-06_0654.jpg
    07-30-06_0654.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 0

*EdC*

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My Guess is..... a MFG Riviera(sp) 1965 of '66. Anyone know what that hole in the wet well is for? I have the same thing! Merc cables..maybe?

thanks Ed

pduquette

Ensign

Errr --Well F.D. I'm NOT a MFG wizzard ,with knowlage of every MFG ever made ; so temper what I say as curiosity and helpfull insight . If you buy the boat with documents just roll with it as most people dont know or care (as long as you have paid your FEES) .
I'm not sure it is a mfg(or what it may be). There are a lot of similarities ,yes, but a lot of inconsistencys too. I scoured the brochures on the other site and came up with these points . 1) the bows rise out of the water is common to most mfg after '63 (little to view for '62). 2) the hard "chine "along the waterline is more angled than used by mfg in the '60's. The dash looks like a lot of pre '64 models -but common to the era too . The way the end of the ??gunwales??end at the transom is common to the '50s mfg not the '60s -but the splash wel look the same as most.
Again it looks like a good boat with good design -as long as the price is good to you it should be a fine project ! Peter

*EdC*

Try looking at the inner transom, port side. MFG would occasionally put an ID tag there.

Ed

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

It doesn't look like any MFG I have seen the the MFG brochures posted on fiberglassics.com

But you should pour over those brochures and see if you can find a match, just don't go on my word.

*EdC*

Fragdemon,
Well.... Did you buy it :confused: After poking around the Internet. It occurred to me, the boat you were looking at may be a Crestliner. If I'm not mistaken, MFG made Crestliner hulls for a few years.
Hope that helps!

Ed

fragdemon

Recruit

Fragdemon,
Well.... Did you buy it :confused: After poking around the Internet. It occurred to me, the boat you were looking at may be a Crestliner. If I'm not mistaken, MFG made Crestliner hulls for a few years.
Hope that helps!

Ed

Thanks Ed for the info. I haven't purchased it yet. The boat is located in GA and I haven't had a chance to go look at it. A friend of mine has a 1955 Renken that that I'm considering as well but I need to go look at it first to see what shape its in. Decisions!!! Decisions!!!!