carb gas

agib08

Cadet
so i finally got my motor to start. well i was watching the parts making sure everything looked good. except that my carb is shooting small drops of gas out of the top carb. is this normal or whats going on?

thanks in advance

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: carb gas

What outboard is that, agib??

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If it is shooting gas out the vent the floats are stuck, misadjusted, bad inlet needle and/or seat, or there is debris in the carbs that is preventing the needle and seat from closing off the flow of fuel.

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so i finally got my motor to start. well i was watching the parts making sure everything looked good. except that my carb is shooting small drops of gas out of the top carb. is this normal or whats going on?

thanks in advance

Is it like mine on this video ? Shooting from the same place as this ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWANWTnjpNA

mine is 80hp Mercury 3 cylinder ...

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Is it like mine on this video ? Shooting from the same place as this ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWANWTnjpNA

mine is 80hp Mercury 3 cylinder ...

Now that's a needle valve not closing on a WME carb if I ever saw one. Several possible causes. Usually a piece of gunk under the needle but could be a saturated float, worn needle or worse case scenario, a bad seat.. Seats are not replaceable so you have to replace the carb if that's the cause.. By the way, it's rare.

Big Pete

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now that's a needle valve not closing on a WME carb if I ever saw one. Several possible causes. Usually a piece of gunk under the needle but could be a saturated float, worn needle or worse case scenario, a bad seat.. Seats are not replaceable so you have to replace the carb if that's the cause.. By the way, it's rare.

Hi thats why i asked about the carb cleaning and now the pile of junk is out the water i am gonna tackle them :)

Whats the saturated float all about ? havent heard that before

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Hi thats why i asked about the carb cleaning and now the pile of junk is out the water i am gonna tackle them :)

Whats the saturated float all about ? havent heard that before

The floats can be a solid / coated foam or hollow plastic. Sometimes the coating breaks down and they become saturated and don't float. The plastic ones have been known to leak when subjected to ethanol fuels (doubt you have the problem in Mallorca).