OMC 140 running great in the driveway!

superbenk

Commander
Replaced just about everything, fuel line, pump, rebuilt carb, added water separator, replaced coil, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, points, condenser, adjusted timing & dwell. Turned the key and BAM! started right up after sitting for about 2 weeks :D It coughed and sputtered at idle a little while it warmed up, but it's purring pretty nicely for 30 years old after that (I think). First couple times gunning it (briefly) to check the accelerator pump in the carb & it bogged, but then it seemed to accelerate pretty quick & smooth (didn't want to do that too much). Only hoping now it runs so well on the lake when we go on vacation in a week & a half!

Thought I'd post a couple videos I took of it running for the fun of it...

Showing water pumping through the outdrive

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxUH_vWS6_8]Showing the engine at idle & quick accelleration[/URL]

Darren J

Cadet
Re: OMC 140 running great in the driveway!

It's a good feeling when after all that work and money it starts right up. Good luck on your lake test.

ryan_eyres

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Looks and sounds great!

Can you do me a huge favor and take some pics of the engine from both sides and front? I'm just in the process of installing a freshly rebuilt engine/outdrive of exactly the same model and I don't have any reference photos to see how the wiring and throttle linkage was hooked up - It was all removed by the PO.

I've got a metal plate with 2 solenoids on it I'm assuming for the tilt and I'm not sure where it goes, I've also got another plate with 1 solenoid and I think it's for the starter.. Also not sure where it goes. If you can snap some photos of the wiring and throttle linkage I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
-Ryan

superbenk

Commander

Looks and sounds great!

Can you do me a huge favor and take some pics of the engine from both sides and front? I'm just in the process of installing a freshly rebuilt engine/outdrive of exactly the same model and I don't have any reference photos to see how the wiring and throttle linkage was hooked up - It was all removed by the PO.

I've got a metal plate with 2 solenoids on it I'm assuming for the tilt and I'm not sure where it goes, I've also got another plate with 1 solenoid and I think it's for the starter.. Also not sure where it goes. If you can snap some photos of the wiring and throttle linkage I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,
-Ryan

Today is your lucky day :) I've got a bunch of photos for you:

Boat & some pics of the motor (overview):
http://picasaweb.google.com/superbenk/1980Century190

Bunch of close ups:
http://pics.superk.org/main.php?g2_itemId=58&g2_page=4

Let me know if there's any specific pics you'd like & I'd be happy to take them.

ryan_eyres

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Beautiful boat!

Thanks for the photos, I'll let you know if there's any other close ups I might need.

-Ryan