I want to rest Easy! Yet another winter water question

Deanrw3

Seaman
hey everyone, I just joined the website and wow, lot of info on here.

I just bought a boat, way late in the season, and it did not come with any owners manual or anything. I am trying to get a hold of one right now.

I winterized it this weekend from what I have read on here. I just want someone to double check that i got all the water out right, all these stories of cracked blocks are scaring me.. I know my way around an engine well.

The boat, 96 bayliner, 3.0 mercruiser lx with alpha 1 out-drive.

Here is what I did.

Warmed engine up with water. Then used a hose to put about 2-3 gallons of environmental safe AF into the motor while running.
I pulled a brass plug under the manifold and one on the side of the engine. On both Pure AF came out of both( really green). I suck a screw driver in both holes and made sure they were not clogged ect. Seemed fine.

To double check my self, I pulled the big hose going to the thermostat housing and poured more AF into there until it came out the drain plugs, and did the same with the exhaust mani. Do i need to do the same with the main hose that brings the water into the engine? Out drive is down.

NO power steering.

Do i need to do anything else to get the water out of the engine or out drive.
Is anything going to freeze and brake?

Thank so much for the help guys. I am new to this and looking to learn a lot. Also is there a good place to get a PDF manual for less than $25 i saw on this site (which is sold out). Anything else i should know about this boat?

I should add, the boat has not been in the water since last time it was winterized by a mechanic (previous owner). The all fluids look new and very clean.

Thank a ton!
Dean

Flukinicehole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: I want to rest Easy! Yet another winter water question

Sounds good to me.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

So the boat hasnt been used in about 1 year?

Your winterize sounds pretty good and should be fine with AF in the motor. I would replace the water pump impeller next year ( out drive pump ) just to be sure its fresh and workign correct since it hasent been used it can dry out and crack and then youll be in trouble next year. So for around 20 bucks Id replace it to be safe.

Also just trim your outdrive down to allow any water in it to drain and if you can store it in the down position you will 1 relieve strain on the trim cylinders and 2 allow any rain or other water that may get in the prop exhaust opening to drain out easily if the boat is stored outside. Accordign to my 07 bayliner 185 mainual it says to store a boat with the outdrive down if sitting for a long time. My machanic says it doenst matter if its up or down and hasnt seen any ill effect when stored in the up position but when I decide its too cold and stop using my boat as often as I do I will also store it w/ drive down. It ususally sits in the up position but I use the boat about 1 X a week.

Deanrw3

Seaman

thanks guys, this makes me feel good about the winterization.

Yeah the boat hasn't been in water for aleast a year maybe longer. I plan in keeping it in my garage and replacing the impeller and some other things such as the carpet and some leather..

thanks for the help.

dean