Is my car big enough ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Is my car big enough ???

You're gonna do what you want, I'm sure of that.

But I wouldn't tow with that rig. It's an accident waiting to happen.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

As smoeonmthewater stated, the only reason for you to even pose the question, is to start an argumernt.

You know you're overloaded, so do what you want. It's stupid, but (hopefully) it'll only be your own life at stake when you eff it up. Be nice if you could guarantee that, tho.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

There's only one word to sum up why that Jeep isn't capable of pulling that boat: Wheelbase.

Exactly! Talk about the tail wagging the dog affect!
A got a feeling anything over about 40 mph could get really dangerous.

wbc1957

Petty Officer 1st Class

Typical California progressive, trying to risk everything for instant gratification! Luckily, I live in the conservative state of Missouri. Tow vehicle rated for 5,000 lbs, and need only 2400lbs, plus a few odds and ends of around another 500lbs. Life is just too short, which is the very reason we are trying to enjoy boating safely!

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Typical California progressive, trying to risk everything for instant gratification! Luckily, I live in the conservative state of Missouri. Tow vehicle rated for 5,000 lbs, and need only 2400lbs, plus a few odds and ends of around another 500lbs. Life is just too short, which is the very reason we are trying to enjoy boating safely!

I really like this one :)

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

?? ?? ??

Attachments

• GMC.JPG
    GMC.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 0

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Yep, bad idea with that Jeep :eek:
My 2 cents.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Hostile arn't we :D :eek: :rolleyes:

The jeep has over sized brakes, the weight of the tow bar was shifted over the rear axle and yes I am crazy, yes I wanted to stir up a bee's nest, not sure I wanted to start an argument, however those are fun too.

Guess I should use the 3500 pick-em-up truck huh

Not much hostility considering that you purposely set out to stir up controversy. A little childish, don't you think?

One of the things that some here find aggravating, is that this is first and foremost a learning/teaching forum, and most of us try real hard to provide solid info for the numerous newbies that come here looking for advice. Unfortunately, no matter how dumb the premise (like towing a 4000 lb boat with a 2000 lb capacity car), there will always be somebody to say, 'don't worry, it'll be fine.'

It's frustrating to see misinformation being spread to people who come here to learn something.

My .02

northernmerc

Chief Petty Officer

Nothing personal, but why is it that when adults do stupid things we call them childish? What an insult to children! Have you ever seen children do nearly as many stupid or irresponsible things as adults do?

Regarding Jeeps of that style, I don't like to see them on the roads at all. They are great for off road use but unsafe at highway speeds. How do I know? I have three CJs.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

?? ?? ??

Attachments

• 2639923995_c3f7fe14b2.jpg
    2639923995_c3f7fe14b2.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I am really sorry but I had to add this because I think it is hilarious, I rest my case.

Good to know you rested your case.

He was considering exceding capacity by about 11% and you are talking about exceding by 100%.... you are now comparing apples to watermellons..... Jolin is right on.... This is not the place for childish games and folks have been pretty easy on you..... If you really want to learn about towing big stuff with jeeps just do a search and you can read all kinds of good info and at the same time you can read where people keep chiming in that it is fine.... If you read long enough you can read about my friend who now has only one leg as a DIRECT result of towing a boat smaller than yours with a jeep against my advice.... Within hours of me telling him not to do it he was in surgery having the rest of his leg cut off. ...... This just isn't a laughing matter

Oh BTW I own 3 jeeps

rbh

Fleet Admiral

It is your butt on the line, not our's.
We tried our best, but if you do not heed our warning's.
So be it.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I am really sorry but I had to add this because I think it is hilarious, I rest my case.

From Jolin's thread - June 24th, 2009, 06:13 AM - Tow Vehicle Question - F250

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=326700

The boat and trailer together weigh in at 7000 lbs. Add in fuel and gear and I'm hauling close to 8000.

I'm looking at a low mileage 2003 F-250. 5.4L automatic, 3.73 axle, extended (not crew) cab, long bed. It's equipped with the factory towing package and "Book" rates the towing capacity for this combo at 7400 lbs.

Anyone else using this model truck to tow a similar load? Feedback welcome- thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzy View Post
I think you already answered your question on how it will pull the load......

its rated at 7400 but you plan to pull 8000lbs.....

Kinda-sorta, yes, but hoping that others who are towing heavy loads will chime in. I'd expect manufacturers' capacity ratings to be a little conservative due to potential warranty and liability concerns, so I'm coming here for some "real world" experience.

Off the top of my head I figure the truck would probably be sluggish with that size engine and that much weight behind it, but are the suspension and brakes adequate? Am I going to kill the driveline? Will I have a "tail wagging the dog" situation?

There's no substitute for feedback from people who are actually doing what I'm considering doing

I think it's funny that in a lame attempt to ridicule me, you'd point to a thread that so perfectly illustrates MY point. Thanks for finding it.

Smokeonthewater summed it up. New to a trailer and boat this large, and looking for advice. If you had bothered to read the entire thread, you also saw where I conceded it was a bad idea, and thanked everybody for rightfully slapping me on the wrist.

Take a look at my sig to see what I actually bought last Summer after being 'straightened out' right here.

15000 lb GCWR
8700 lb tow capacity

I rest my case.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Should see some of E-mail I received from one of the previous readers

I didn't know people here were like that - Oh Well :)

lncoop

Vice Admiral

A-team van!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is your butt on the line, not our's.
We tried our best, but if you do not heed our warning's.
So be it.

If that were true I would be less concerned. Darwin would prevail.

The fact is that it is the lives of innocent people on the roads that are in peril from unsafe operation.

I hate government meddling in our lives, but I wonder when "they" will insist on a towing endorsement on driving licenses.

v8power

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was thinking of pulling my 19 footer with this, do you guys think it will handle the load?

Attachments

• IMG00056.jpg
    IMG00056.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

There are two extremes when considering a tow vehicle.

A vehicle rated to tow 2000 lbs and asking it to tow 4000-4500 lbs is one extreme, and a bad idea.

A vehicle rated to tow 10,000 lbs and asking it tow 3000 lbs is another extreme, and not a bad idea at all.

I laugh when I see a 3500 or F350 towing an 18 bowrider. When I see a small SUV towing a 26' Express Cruiser, I am not laughing, but usually looking for a way to avoid that vehicle on the road.

Having a short, slow trip sure does change ones opinion of "good idea" vs. "bad idea" but it is true you share the road, almost every road, with innocent people. I would keep that in mind when you do tow the boat.

Also to note, I almost agree with stating a Wrangler is not a great highway vehicle. I own a Mustang with very stiff springs, an F250 with stiff springs, and this Jeep is hands down the scariest thing to drive on he highway. One bump and it's all over the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.