2001 90hp carb problems

svillebrian

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2001 90hp 60 degree Johnson. I was having some problems with the motor running rough at idle and staying running at times during idle. Other than that, the motor was operating fine. Noticed that the fuel bowls were leaking and thought this was the problem. Did a quick fix and sealed the outside of the bowls and got the leaks stopped. I pulled the carbs off and put them back on with new o-rings. Took it out and it started fine. it didnt want to get on a plane quick and was sluggish till about 3500 rpms, then it accelerated quick till about 4500rpm and dropped off again. Couldnt get over 4600 rpms, but was running smooth. pulled the carbs off again and just reuilt them. Put it back together and it started and idled just fine. Reved it up in idle in the driveway and did fine again till about 4000 rpms and then it bogged down and shut off. Starts and idles fine, but just keeps bogging down at high rpms. Any suggestions on what to try next?? Need to get it running quick!

bigbadjim

Cadet
Re: 2001 90hp carb problems

I hope your not running it in the driveway off a hose at those RPMS. You will fry your water pump and may have already done so. Water pump cannot draw enough water off garden hose. Also, she may be bogging down if shes overheating.:)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

You mention a lot of carb work but never mentioned actually cleaning them. When you rebuilt them what did you soak them in?

svillebrian

Seaman Apprentice

was only running in drive way for a minute or so, mostly idle. couldnt get the motor to stay running once it hit high rpms. Had alot of smoke from exhaust as if it was overloading. When i rebuilt the carbs, did a good cleaning with with carb cleaner and blew everything out with air compressor. nothing seemed to be restricted with the liquid or air.

svillebrian

Seaman Apprentice

What does the needle valve adjustment do? Is it only for low rpm adjustment of for both high/ low?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The fact that it dies off at 4000 rpm indicates you may have a weak fuel pump. Is the priomer bulb being sucked flat by any chance. If not, does having someone squeeze it a couple times help when the engine dies off. If so, investigate the fuel pump, dip tube in the tank, or an air leak in the fuel line, or a fuel filter that needs changing.

svillebrian

Seaman Apprentice

Fuel pump is only a year old, the bulb isnt sucking dry, and I just changed the water sepeator a couple months ago. How should you adjust the needle valve, and should I remove them also and clean them? It seems like its loading up instead of running out of fuel.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

If you have been running it without a water hose connected to it, or not in the water, then you also need a new water pump. Don't take it out on the water without replacing it or you'll be rebuilding the motor very soon. Plus don't rev it up unless you have the boat in the water.....bad things can happen.

svillebrian

Seaman Apprentice

Have had it connected to a hose, and have only tried to rev it up before it bogs down.

svillebrian

Seaman Apprentice

any suggetions why it is getting too much fuel now, but only at the higher rpms?