Removable area carpet for boat

CaptGeo

Recruit
We are looking at an older mid-80's Sea Ray 245 SRV Cuddy in excellent condition. The boat has a carpet-less flat floor that is gel-coated fiberglass, just like the rest of the boat. I actually like this set-up it will likely make keeping the boat clean a little easier. However I'd like to have a carpet I could lay down while we are on the boat, especially for the dog. I did a search for marine carpet and as you would think, I got back boat-specific carpets sets, or glue-down carpet by the roll. I am looking for what would amount to an area rug like you'd buy for the house, with finished edges, and a backing that won't have any affect (becoming sticky, breaking down, etc...) on the floor of the boat.

So the question is, are there vendors or supplies that either sell or will make a custom area carpet piece for a boat?

Attached pic is from the old sales brochure, but it shows the floor as I described it.

Attachments

• 83 SRV 245 FloorDetail.jpg
    83 SRV 245 FloorDetail.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 0

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Removable area carpet for boat

I don't see why ya can't go to your local carpet store and get a rug made. Ya might be able to find a left over piece of outdoor carpeting at a big discount. And yes, one can get any carpet made into a rug. My old deck boat had a lay in piece for the open bow area.

Ya could also install snaps if it has a tendency to get air lifted while underway.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I would love to have a custom carpet for my boat, but at the moment I am Boat Poor :(

What I have done (because the White Deck and everything is Blinding) I bought a couple of 3 x 5 indoor/outdoor rungs from Costco for 18 bucks each. they lay down very nice and do not slide. this will do until I can afford better.

Burtonair01

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Custom Marine Carpet
423 N. Ninth
Niles,MI 49120
1-877-SNAPIN-1

They are making me a set for my boat as I type. They sent me a template kit for me to outline my existing carpet then I send it back to them, they then send me a quote and then you go from there.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

Custom Marine Carpet
423 N. Ninth
Niles,MI 49120
1-877-SNAPIN-1

They are making me a set for my boat as I type. They sent me a template kit for me to outline my existing carpet then I send it back to them, they then send me a quote and then you go from there.

What size boat, any guesstimate as to how much it may cost?

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Corinthian Marine does this as well.

I believe they use the carpet you would find on a new Sea Ray.

As stated before, get some outdoor carpet, cut to the right shape, have someone sew the peice along the edge, and then install snaps. I would add the snaps, even if others think it isn't needed. Just adds another level of doing things right.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I just redid my 21' monterey. I took out the glue in carpet and put in removable carpet. Best money I spent. I used www.corinthianmarine.com. Ask for Nick, he'll take care of you. He will send you out a template kit. You cut out a few templates from a large piece of plastic, and send it back. They'll cut and bind the carpet from those.

Here are some pics of how mine turned out. I used their "Jr. Berber", turned out extremely nice IMO. If you want to add snaps like I did after these pics were taken, he will send you out, free of charge, a nice heavy duty snap tool. You can also buy stainless snaps from them for a 1$ a pair. Fair price I felt.
newcarpet9.jpg

newcarpet10.jpg

newcarpet1.jpg

newcarpet2.jpg

newcarpet4.jpg

newcarpet5.jpg

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I will put that on my list right after "get new boat" :p

CaptGeo

Recruit

Thanks for all the feedback guys. That custom snap in carpet looks great. Maybe for next Spring...

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went to a Trader Horn store and bought outdoor carpet.
They had 4 different colors to choose from, it has a slight rib to it with a painted rubber backing. It comes in 12' roll and I bought 6' of it for $7 a foot.
Cheap and easy.