1997 Reinell Volvo Penta 5.7 GL

RobDeuce

Cadet
Good Evening All,

I am new to this forum. Two seasons ago, the impeller went bad and we overheated the engine. The engine rode rough for a moment and then we saw the temp gauge and smoke rising from the engine cover area. We inspected the engine and were able to get out of the water safely.

When we took apart the engine, it appeared as though there was a little bit of wate in the oil, and we assumed we had blown the head gasket. We took it all apart and replaced all of the gaskets/seals. When we started it, everything worked properly. We made a couple of trips onto the lake and everything seemed to work perfectly.

Then, suddenly, the engine made a violent clanking noise. I IMMEDIATELY shut down completely. When I opened the engine cover, oil was shooting out of the front left upper portion of the oil pan, from a hole that was made from an object striking it from the inside...I assume a rod. I was towed in and have not touched it since.

As far as engines go, should I just replace the block and affected parts? I have no clue how to approach this issue. I have worked on military aircraft for 10 years...but not "Marine" engines. I don't want to make any mistakes. I would appreciate your feedback and advice.
-Rob

NHGuy

Captain
Re: 1997 Reinell Volvo Penta 5.7 GL

That's a bad thing. Minimum to do is pull engine, drop oil pan and inspect. Pieces blowing through the oil pan from inside out are never good, you need to learn what happened to determine your best course of action.
It sounds like lost boating time and unplanned costs.

Really sorry to hear of your damage.

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if the insides became the outsides, then most likely you are looking at a new motor. Dont let the fact that it is a "marine" engine scare you, as especially with I/O's the engine has MUCH in common with its automotive bretheren that have been in chevys since the 1950's, IE a spun rod is still a spun rod. From what you describe though, its time for a repower....

RobDeuce

Cadet

Re-Power and totally get a whole new set-up? I have limited experience with engine swaps...and from what I have read, I re-use most of what is on the engine right? What are rough costs these days? Would any of the other parts be "contaminated" by what has happened? Where do they have cherry pickers tall enough to go up and over the boat and trailer?

To be honest, this sounds like a fun job, just a costly and time consuming one...

RobDeuce

Cadet

Also...any guidance on where to download the shop manuals? There has to be an easy place to find them online...any help?

zbnutcase

Commander

Also...any guidance on where to download the shop manuals? There has to be an easy place to find them online...any help?

Look in the Adults Only sticky at the top of this page, manuals are there to download!

RobDeuce

Cadet

Outstanding. Thank you very much...like $300-much.

How do you suggest pulling the engine? Do they rent cherry pickers that tall? How about hooking a chain/hook/pulley up to the Garage rafters and pulling it that way? I think I may begin this crazy task this week during my two week vacation...

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

Hard to find but an A frame type chain fall puller is in order. My ex father in law tried putting a longer boom and legs on a standard cherry picker with disastrous results when the ram blew out because of the extra leverage! There's a few references in here somewhere about who supplies quality short and long block motors that would be worth digging up. Probably the best solution rather than dealing with a blown up bottom end in yours.

RobDeuce

Cadet

Does anyone have a good lead on an engine supplier? Maybe a specific web site dot com.

Also, what should I look to do to keep this very simple...like something that uses the same engine mounts, or other parts that can transfer right over? I am hoping to be able to use all of the parts taht I still have. The boat is a 1997 but it was only used approximately 40 times ever...so the engine is FLAWLESS, other than the rod hole in the oil pan. I still have a sense of humor about it all...but seriously, everything else is in new condition so i am hoping to use it all again.

RobDeuce

Cadet

Anyone have an accurate horsepower rating for my stock setup? Also, if I end up with a better engine, will the stock outdrive take an increase in HP? I figured I would post this in case any of you who help me might ever need the info:

ENGINE
5.7GL PLKR

TRANSOM ASSEMBLY
TSK SX-C1 (GAS)

DRIVE UNIT
SX-C1 1 60