Aftermarket Thermostat Shutdown

incrediblened

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Does someone sell an aftermarket thermostat kill-switch? I've got a boat that I'm renting out, and I want the engine to shut-down the temperature goes past a certain point... say 180 degrees.

1994 Mercruiser 135 HP 3.0, Stern Drive

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: Aftermarket Thermostat Shutdown

No and it could be dangerous if it shuts down at the wrong time.

mariner1900

Seaman

Your thermostat housing should have a spare hole with a plug in it. You should be able to buy a suitable temperature switch and wire it in to work.

The vast majority of modern marine engines have a variety of automatic shutdowns fitted. These include overspeed, low oil pressure, high cooling water temp to mention a few. The difference in a full marine installation is that there is also an alarm that warns of an impending the shutdown so that we can respond and hopefully prevent a shutdown.

As Nutcase says though it could be dangerous as in my experience most shutdowns happen at the most in opportune time.

security6

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you thought about wiring an idiot light to the alarm and putting the light on the dash somewhere?

fossill

Chief Petty Officer

Murphy Gauges is what you are looking for

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The vast majority of modern marine engines have a variety of automatic shutdowns fitted

NO, they do not. The EFI engines have slow mode, which slows the engine down to 1500 to 2500 rpm, but there is none of them that shut the engine down complete.
That could be deadly if the engine stopped completely at the wrong time.

incrediblened

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very good. Thermostat alarm is a great idea. I'll check the store. Thanks!

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Does someone sell an aftermarket thermostat kill-switch? I've got a boat that I'm renting out, and I want the engine to shut-down the temperature goes past a certain point... say 180 degrees.

1994 Mercruiser 135 HP 3.0, Stern Drive

I don't think there is such a thing, but why would it overheat if its running right? You're being paranoid.

incrediblened

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I rent the boat AND trailer out... meaning that the boat is often out of the water by the renter. If they were to run it out of the water, they could destroy the impeller, not notice the gauge getting hot later, and then it's ruined.

Thermostat alarm is sufficient.

And Paranoid? :) Ever heard the saying, "Drive it like it's a rental". Um, yeah.