Muffs or flushing attachment

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a 1964 Evinrude 75 hp and the water intake is quite close to one of the anti cavitation plates. Conventional muffs don't fit properly, not even rectangular types. I've never been able to flush my engine or test run it without a barrel of water.
I saw a blurry photo in my 2 cylinder shop manual that shows a flushing attachment. It looks like it's inserted up the exhaust. Does this flow water through the engine backwards? Is this an attachment that is still available for old engines?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: Muffs or flushing attachment

Above the cavitation plate is a inlet plate held with two screws. Remove this plate, cut out a copy made of plain sheet metal, drill a 1/2" hole, and solder on a female garden hose connector. You now have a flushing attachment. This will work on any size motor that has this plate. Unlike muff's, it won't fall off when your back is turned.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The flushing attachment was made by Tempo, no longer made. There was one on e-bay recently that I thought would bring a dear price, but it didn't.

Anyway, the main water intake is a screen on the forward side of the exhaust outlet. The flushing attachment clamped over that screen to feed water into it. I have one, but I'm not turning loose of it.

The side plate that you are trying to put your muffs on is an auxillary intake for when running in reverse and the prop is sucking water away from the main screen. You can make another plate to take it's place, with a hose adapter fitting in it. But make sure you have plenty of water available to it because you have a major leak going out the main intake screen.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The plate I discribed will deliver more than enough water to the engine, I use them often, and water delivery is never a problem. You can make one for less than a dollar. Make, and use one, you'll never mess with that tempo again.

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

The There was one on e-bay recently that I thought would bring a dear price, but it didn't.

I was watching that auction, but forgot to bid . . . . Grrrrrrrrrr . . . .

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Was there a photo of that part on the ebay listing? I would like to see it if possible.
Does my photo show the water intake?

Attachments

• Water intake.JPG
    Water intake.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 0

Evinrookie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm the one F_R was referring to about getting the flusher on eBay - $15.95 plus shipping. Here's a picture of the one I bought (brand spankin' new). It just fits snug against that intake with a foam rubber gasket and is tightened down to the anti-cav plate. I went to use it last week but realized the hydrofoil the previous owner installed needed to be removed first.

The flusher is made by Tempo as F_R mentioned and mine is part # 916 TFC for my 1967 80Hp Evinrude.

Look up "Tempo flusher" on eBay's home page and you might be able to find one. If not, call the company I bought mine from. They sell through eBay and I called before placing my order to verify that it was the correct one for my engine. The guy I spoke with was helpful.

Marine Surplus (239)332-0909.

And yes, the little angled plate with the screen is where the flusher attaches. I doubt it will fall off as easily as a set of muffs because you actually screw it down to the anti-cav plate.

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Flusher 916 TFC.jpg
    Flusher 916 TFC.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 0

Evinrookie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The flip side of the flusher in my picture is what goes against the intake. It has the gasket.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My plate is broken off on my motor so i can not use the old tempo attachment my fater in law has. His is diff. than the one in the pic it has a plate and is held on with springs and clips. I was thinking that recently that i have seen them like he has in a catologe, cant remember where!

-Nate

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

What about the plate I mentioned for less than a dollar?

jddenham

Petty Officer 1st Class

What about the plate I mentioned for less than a dollar?

Mr. Johnson, we live in a society of laziness and immediate gratification . . . . people do not wish to labor and save money, but rather pay and get it now.

LOL

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The first thing about any tool, "It has to work". The part I discribed is made of sheet metal, available at any plumbing, heating shop. They will have a piece more than big enough to make one in their scrap box. The piece can easily be cut out with a tin snips. If you are baffled, or intimidated by a tin snips, I would really leave outboard repair to someone else. The question was, "where can I get a flushing attachment", for your engine, you can't, at least one that will work worth a crap.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

I had a similar problem with a 15 merc that had a hard to get at water inlet and a Fin attached. (The factory flushing fixture had you removin the prop!) In the end I used one of those cheap rubbermaid tubs from wallmart. ( about 16" highx16"wx20"L) I drilled a 1/2 drain hole in the bottom corner and installed a 1/2" bailer plug. It's light and low enough so I can slide it under the motor leg, fills up quick and drains easily/quickly when i'm done.
Best of all, it works for every motor I own.
hth

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I used a standard flusher on my '58 Fat-Fifty (same LU design as the '64 75HP). I put a piece of duct tape over the main water intake above and behind the prop, to seal it up. I then removed one of the rubber "ears" and the screen over the water intake near the A-V plate. Now the remaining ear (with the hose attachment) fit over the water inlet fairly well.

Don't forget to remove the tape before you launch. BTW - I do not think OMC recommended flushing those motors, for some reason. I saw a bulletin from them some time ago on this.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i found the picture of the mewer model tempo like my Father in law has! it is still a probly 15-20 year old design though, it was in last years west marine master cataloge i did not write the model # down but is like the one i described with springs and has the foam gasket and all! It was for order last year so probly still is, but when i looked on the website a few days ago i could not locate it. Ill post the Part # if i remember to get it.

-Nate

Evinrookie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mr. Johnson, we live in a society of laziness and immediate gratification . . . . people do not wish to labor and save money, but rather pay and get it now.

LOL

While I do agree that our society has become lazy in many ways, I don't think it is "laziness" and a need for "immediate gratification" to buy a tool made for a specific purpose rather than building your own. A set of flat head screw drivers can easily be fashioned with a grinding wheel but how many of us have a complete set of homemade screw drivers on our bench?

Also, while the fixture R.Johnson reccommends may only require a bit of sheet metal and a hose fitting, many people -yes even those who work on their own engines- do not have experience with metal working or soldering/welding.

EvinrudeBoater simply asked if a flusher was still available for his engine. To call it laziness, or baffled and intimidated by a set of tin snips because you would rather buy a motor flusher than make one is just plain silly! While it can come in handy, the last time I checked metalworking wasn't a required skill for outboard repair.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Evinrookie, could post or e-mail a photo of the other side of the flusher? If I'm going to make my own, I always like to make it a close as possible to the original product. I'm putting more seats in my boat right now so the motor will have to wait. I'm putting back seats in just like your avatar shows.

Evinrookie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll take a pic and try to post it tonight. I'd love to see the finished product.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just finished the seats tonight. As Billy Crystal would say, "They look marvelous". I'll get some photos posted as well.

Evinrookie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here are a couple pictures of the flusher along with the instructions that came with it. I'd also like to see some larger pictures of the motor in your avatar. It looks great in that pic. Mine was repainted and all of the graphics covered over. The only part that wasn't painted over is the access hatch. Any idea where I could get the original graphics to put back on or at least something close? I'm still working on a couple of issues but once I get her running right I want her to look right too.

Attachments

• Flush1.jpg
    Flush1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Flush2.jpg
    Flush2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Flush3.jpg
    Flush3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Tempo Instruct.jpg
    Tempo Instruct.jpg