Stumped: Rebuilt 5HP carb, now wont start

Dugbug

Recruit
:confused:1996 Merc 5HP 2 stroke - used first couple times this season worked fine; new gas/oil mixture and oil lower unit; stalled last time out, changed plug and gas (again) just to be sure... idled but would not throttle up. Took in for service and was told diaphram in fuel pump was unseated so they replaced, I was advised to install new, so installed all new with rebuild carb kit, but now, it wont even crank... has spark and getting fuel to pump. I tried to adjust mixture a couple turns and may now be off the mark - is there a way to test or adjust to start? Any other suggestions?? I'm stumped.

BassnKY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stumped: Rebuilt 5HP carb, now wont start

First of all, are you getting fuel in the bowl.
If you are, make sure the fuel level in the bowl is set correctly then set the mixture screw to 2 turns out. This should get you started.

Dugbug

Recruit

Okay - it works!
I think I may also had a diaphram in wrong - but she starts, although idles too high.

Thanks for the help! Just in time for the wkend ;)

j_martin

Admiral

Okay - it works!
I think I may also had a diaphram in wrong - but she starts, although idles too high.

Thanks for the help! Just in time for the wkend ;)

I spent some time training IBM computer field engineers. The hardest thing for them to learn was this.
If you walk up to a running machine, do something to it, and it now does not run, it's what you did.

You, my friend, learn easily.

hope it helps
john