Building raised floor in boat.

Timmy222

Cadet
I have a small 12 foot aluminum boat that I want to build a raised floor in towards the front. I have an idea of how I want to do it but wondering if someone has done this themselves and has any suggestions of what worked well for them? Thanks !!:)

NDNick

Cadet
Re: Building raised floor in boat.

I have a shallow 14' Starcraft and decided to remove the middle seat and put in a floor between the front and rear seat. I used 3/8" plywood and cut slots to fit around the ribs so the platform is firmly seated. I then placed 2x4s across the boat for support underneath the platform, but did not nail or screw anything down. The weight of the wood and ribs keeps it firmly in place. The platform is anywhere 2" to 10" above the actual boat floor (higher near bow). Making a platform any higher would really affect the balance and make the boat quite tippy. My main concern would be this issue, as standing anywhere above the top of the seats on a small boat is going to be top heavy. Putting a floor in at a lower level has worked well for me. I used 2 pieces to construct the floor, applied water protectant, and wrapped in carpet. The floor is easily removed for cleaning and storage.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: Building raised floor in boat.

I did something similar to what Nick described...removable decking made from pieces of pine assmebled and coated with spar varnish. Mine is a 12' semi-V hull and doesn't have much extra capacoty for weight.

It works great since my tinny gets muddy and dirty from portaging it over river hazards.

I agree that if you try to make it a mini bass boat with a high deck it will be unstable.